Why become a member? ×

JV Basses, are they really worth it?

KevinJazzBass

Hi guys, I have posted this in the general discussion but then I realised it might be better here.

I'm really interested in getting myself a JV Jazz bass because I love jazz basses and I've heard about how great these basses are to play. I think that alot of sellers set their prices way too way high based upon reputation, condition and how rare these instruments are becoming, up to £1200 if you want one from our German ebay friend or generally between £600 and £950 from private sellers on ebay and on here. However I have been looking around in the internet I and I cant seem to find much evidence of buyers ever paying much more than around £550 and most basses not selling because of the seller wanting too much. Am I missing something??

I guess the real question is, is the bass really worth it once you have played it. Im going to try a JV jazz tomorrow. It is a 1983 in real nice condition and I have managed to knock the seller down to £750, however I cant help feeling i still might be getting ripped off. Am I really be able to sell this bass on without losing alot of £££ or will it even go up in value?

What do you guys think? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

Well my friend, for the bass you are getting, you are not getting ripped off. I say this with the hope that it is in as conditions as it was when new, and without any "dodgy" mods being carried out.

In a nutshell at the time they were made these were built with some fantastic ash bodies, and the sunburst colour always showed some very beautiful veneer lines, menaing these were not just odd pieces of wood stucked together and heavily painted in solid colours to hide the horror of non matching timber and plain jane slabs. Also, they featured top quality components, like pots and wiring which where faithful to the vintage American ones.

You say the man is asking for £750 well if you can haggle and get him to come down a peg or two than it's all good but whatever you pay, I repeat if the quality is pristine and all is original you're on to a good thing.

But can I tell you how much I paid for mine in 1982? I was living in Italy then and I paid 289'000 Italian Lira which at that time we had an exchange rate of £1.00 = 2'200 ITL hence I paid something in the region of £131.36!! The man in the shop screamed at me waving his italian arms all over the shop, "taka de bass befora i change a ma mind you sonnamabitch!" :)

Its like all vintage instruments really. Are they worth the money in terms of playability/sound? Majority of the time of course not, they are stupidly inflated prices and chances are you could get a far superior bass for the same money (speaking about vintage in general, never touched a JV before). But if your the kind of guy that likes to pay extra for older instruments for their vibe, looks and classic old school sound then go for it, you'll get your money back! And im fairly certain they will continue to rise in value.

see how do you like it. you are paying tipical current price infact.
I got an JV Precision (many owners of JV basses and guitars swears they never ever had a better instruments btway) and even it's a very good Precision - nothing beats my '83 american Fender Precision. that's just me...

I owned a 57RI JV - 1982, bought from new. Sold it like a pillock. However would I accord it massive status over say a standard US 2008+ model - well no. It was nicely made, good attention to detail but the sound it made didn't make me have an epiphany. Would I like it back - yes. Would I pay £750 for it - probably not.

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' post='852842' date='May 31 2010, 07:03 PM']Hi guys, I have posted this in the general discussion but then I realised it might be better here.

I'm really interested in getting myself a JV Jazz bass because I love jazz basses and I've heard about how great these basses are to play. I think that alot of sellers set their prices way too way high based upon reputation, condition and how rare these instruments are becoming, up to £1200 if you want one from our German ebay friend or generally between £600 and £950 from private sellers on ebay and on here. However I have been looking around in the internet I and I cant seem to find much evidence of buyers ever paying much more than around £550 and most basses not selling because of the seller wanting too much. Am I missing something??

I guess the real question is, is the bass really worth it once you have played it. Im going to try a JV jazz tomorrow. It is a 1983 in real nice condition and I have managed to knock the seller down to £750, however I cant help feeling i still might be getting ripped off. Am I really be able to sell this bass on without losing alot of £££ or will it even go up in value?

Thanks

Kev[/quote]

Here is my main bass its an 86 MIJ. It is lovely to play, why? the answer is the neck, its a work of art. The necks where made in Japan for Fuji by a company called Atlansia, it has a very thick curved Brasilian rosewood fingerboard like an original Fullerton job. Would I pay £XXX pounds for it, would I pay £XXXXXX pounds for a original one..................... hell no!!!!!

Its an immotive subject but, all Fenders are mass produced instruments! yeh the old ones that have made it, and the JV play great, why? because they have been fettled and refined over the years and used most probably by a pro who know how a guitar should play.

Yes the necks are pretty special on these ones, but you can get Atlansia to make one to fit your bass, whatever they are luthiers!!

You can also get a luthier to make you one that plays amazing out of the box for less money than a old un.

Just get your guitar set up properly, get the frets profiled properly, truss rod adjusted and pickups, bridge intonation all present and correct.
Get some scatterwound pickups for your jazz forget, SD Antiquities , blah blah blah they are all machine wound the original pickups were handwound by old ladies. scatterwounds sound a lot better and catch a lot more sound...... i dont know why!!!. Give Andy a ring at Wizard pickups he will do you a set for £70!!!!!!

[quote name='dan670844' post='854644' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:22 AM']Here is my main bass its an 86 MIJ. It is lovely to play, why? the answer is the neck, its a work of art. The necks where made in Japan for Fuji by a company called Atlansia, it has a very thick curved Brasilian rosewood fingerboard like an original Fullerton job. Would I pay £XXX pounds for it, would I pay £XXXXXX pounds for a original one..................... hell no!!!!!

Its an immotive subject but, all Fenders are mass produced instruments! yeh the old ones that have made it, and the JV play great, why? because they have been fettled and refined over the years and used most probably by a pro who know how a guitar should play.

Yes the necks are pretty special on these ones, but you can get Atlansia to make one to fit your bass, whatever they are luthiers!!

You can also get a luthier to make you one that plays amazing out of the box for less money than a old un.

Just get your guitar set up properly, get the frets profiled properly, truss rod adjusted and pickups, bridge intonation all present and correct.
Get some scatterwound pickups for your jazz forget, SD Antiquities , blah blah blah they are all machine wound the original pickups were handwound by old ladies. scatterwounds sound a lot better and catch a lot more sound...... i dont know why!!!. Give Andy a ring at Wizard pickups he will do you a set for £70!!!!!![/quote]

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' post='852842' date='May 31 2010, 07:03 PM']Hi guys, I have posted this in the general discussion but then I realised it might be better here.

Thanks

Kev[/quote]

By the way this is what a Fujigen-Gakki body looks like bare!! this is a 95 one, one of the last, you can see no bad joins, filler, This one was black I had it refinished in CAR like the other one.

[quote name='dan670844' post='854677' date='Jun 2 2010, 11:43 AM']By the way this is what a Fujigen-Gakki body looks like bare!! this is a 95 one, one of the last, you can see no bad joins, filler, This one was black I had it refinished in CAR like the other one.[/quote]

oops wrong pic!! that my Red Alder /Alder / Red Alder experiment!!!

Almost new American Standard money, so it would have to feel damn good. Better, even.

There are some damn good second-hand Jazz basses for £750. A JV Squier wouldn't be the top of my list, but I'm not a collector. Their prices seem to have increased a fair bit in the last couple of years on ebay.

I'd go with what felt right to me.

I bought a Road Worn recently, which some people would say are expensive for a Mexican made Fender that someone has dragged across the shop floor and spat on, but the thing that sold it to me was how it felt. It felt amazing.

If I was looking to invest or buy a piece of history I'd be looking at vintage American's. Otherwise I'd find the best feeling instrument I could get for £750, and there are a lot of really good Jazz basses for that price. This JV might be one of them, it might not be. It's up to you to try out as many as you can.

Not a JV, but a 1990 K series MIJ Squier, easily the best Precision [i]I've[/i] ever played, and only 200 quid from the bay. Beautiful neck, [i]big[/i] tone and lovely with flats. I defy any JV to be 800 quid better than this:

If I could find it's Jazz brother I'd be happier than a pig in sh*t.

I think they are good basses, both P and J basses, but prics have risen too high in the last years.

It is common to see them for sale at prices comparable to used American Vintage Series which, IMHO, are usually superior basses than JV's

Edited by Mr Rabble

• 5 months later...

I've had since new a JV 57 Precision -Fiesta red/maple neck - which I bought early 1985 , for I think £150 with 21st birthday money! It was made i think Oct '83.
Now whilst it's probably my long term fav, there have been times i went off it a bit . I think they may be overrated to some extent - non bass players I know don't see what I like about it , but it's rare for me not to reach for it for gigging - I reckon over the years I've become emotionally attached - what a ponce!!!

I was speaking to a bassman recently who said he had a Jazz of the same vintage& he hadn't play for years, but declined my advances suggesting he considered selling me it for next to nothing :) . He'd rather keep it as he's got it on a stand and considers it to be a thing of beauty taking pride of place in the corner of his living room - class!

Do you really want to explain to an average Joe why your squier cost you £XXX???

A lot of people inflate prices because they are desirable, I want one, they generally nice from what I seen, but honestly your money is better spent on a modern MIJ or CIJ fender, some crop up on the eBay with US hot rod pickups aswell.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1024156' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:01 AM']A lot of people inflate prices because they are desirable, I want one, they generally nice from what I seen, but honestly your money is better spent on a modern MIJ or CIJ fender, some crop up on the eBay with US hot rod pickups aswell.[/quote]

I'm unsure about that.My main P-Bass is an '83 SQ Squier and to be honest it's the nicest Precision I've played. Are they worth paying
that much money? That's up to you...but I'd rather have one of the older JV/SQ Squiers than a newer one. I've got 6 Fenders,and the
Squier is probably the best one quality-wise.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1024156' date='Nov 15 2010, 12:01 AM']Do you really want to explain to an average Joe why your squier cost you £XXX???

A lot of people inflate prices because they are desirable, I want one, they generally nice from what I seen, but honestly your money is better spent on a modern MIJ or CIJ fender, some crop up on the eBay with US hot rod pickups aswell.[/quote]

i think... my JV is better than any recent fender I've played, including (just) the AV 57'ri.
So given the choice between spending £600 (the price at the time) on a second hand made in USA P bass or £600 ish on a squier JV which is better.....

I don't need to explain to average joe either, I don't really tell people how much my basses cost, just play them in a band for them!

I got a JV P when they first came out and sold it a few years ago. Ive been through loads of basses both during the time i had it and since i sold it any to me a lot of the basses ive had were better.

Nice necks and a very good retail price at the time but i think they are over priced second hand now. Worth it if you like the feel etc of a specific one but silly money to buy just because its a JV.

IME of course.

I think JV's are great. I've had three, and I've got two left... a 62 P (pic above) and a 57 P. I sold another 57 P which was mint but was heavy and had a not-so-nice neck.

The one I SHOULD have bought was a Jazz with the big-Fender-small-Squier headstock for £450. That was a cracking bass.

For what I paid for mine (around £200 apiece, years ago) they're one of the best bargains on the planet.

At 'sensible' prices, say below £600, I think they're still well worth considering on an individual basis.

At silly collector's money, I'd pass. I don't think any are actually fetching that except maybe the first-run logo series of spring 1982 like the Jazz mentioned above. I know a guy who works at a high-ticket vintage shop: he asks all the money for anything he personally sells, and he just got rid a JV 57 Strat for £600.

Bear in mind that a fair few can benefit from a pickup upgrade. Only the JV Squier Strats had US-made pickups: all the others had standard Japanese ones. Both my P's aren't great on the bottom string unless you jack one end of the pickup right up. But they're light (8.2 and 8.6lbs) and the necks are fantastic. Edited by KK Jale

I can understand a lot of peoples points of view, my only experience with the JV series was a strat and it was just like any of the other fenders my guitar teacher had on the wall.

Personally I wouldn't go a head and spend more money on what is, in my eyes, essentially an 80's Japanese fender than I would a brand new one.

I'm also a tight wad, my last bass cost me no where near what it could of cost someone else.

If these were around now new, would you be prepared to spend £1200+ on one? Because for £750 you could get a 2nd hand bass worth that much new (even more if you get a good deal). How about thinking that in 20 years a CVJ would be fetching as much 2nd hand as a year old USA Jazz.

If you find one that has just the right mojo and all the right ingredients to be a great bass for you, sure, it's worth it. I can't personally see how you could justify the price purely on the fact it's a JV though.

I bought my 83 JV new and I still use it today - I love it.
it cost £129 from a shop in Romford.....would i sell it? Never.

My entry in the JV register here:
[url="http://www.21frets.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1236979686/"]http://www.21frets.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1236979686/[/url]

Edited by Twigman