Why become a member? ×

Warwick completely moving production to Korea?

sockdeluxe_mikey

Don't know if anybody has seen this yet, but this looks slightly worrying:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658401"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658401[/url]

By the looks of things, there could be a big change at Warwick soon :)

Not owned a Warwick before, but this will be pretty sad if this is the case.

As far as I know only production of the Corvette Std had been moved there.

If it was true it would be a strange move - they could perhaps decrease their overheads by scaling back production of the hi-end German stuff, but it seems senseless to bow completely out of the hi-end market.

However, if they do stop German production then my Thumb basses will jump in value in the years to come! :)

Edited by rjb

They wouldn't be the first Western manufacturer to move production entirely to the East - if it is true (and I can't see anything about it on their website) maybe the high end European makers are beginning to undermine Warwick's market share. You can get a huge amount of UK luthier made bass for what you would pay for an off the shelf German Warwick...

You would think that with the likes of Lakland and Musicman offering their lower end variants made in the far east that it makes sense for Wariwck to do the same with their revamped Rockbass series but not their high end basses.

Personally I don't care where something is made as long as it is well made but I can see how someone who is fond of a brand would be upset or annoyed if production moved elsewhere.

Load of rubbish. Warwick will clearly be at least making their custom shop models in germany, they are still taking orders and advertising in bgm for a start. AFAIK it is just there standard corvettes.

Surely if they do that, it would make the new 2010 model Rockbasses obsolete?

The only concernable difference between the new rockbasses that arent released here yet, and the German ones are that they arent made in Germany. If German basses arent made in Germany anymore, surely they will just be Rockbasses.

You see, I thought of all of this I.E just moving some of the production to Korea rather than all the line, and I personally don't really have any objection (coming from a Lakland Skyline owner).

However the original message looked kind-of 'final'? Don't know where that came from if that wasn't true, and I do agree that if ALL of their production were to move to Korea then it would be a little sad :) all 'in moderation', though.

I think the company is a wee bit of a mess in terms of branding.

If I were them I would make the NT models in germany so
streamer s1
streamer s2
corvette (NT)
thumb
and the electronic upright thing.
Infinity and dolphin and stuff i would stop and use as the yearly limited edition.

Then the bolt on stuff I would make in the far east.
streamer $$ and jazzman
corvettes
thumb BO

The BO stuff you can produce large numbers off, it would exist in a shop in the same way you see Fender MIM everywhere. High quality, big up the the exotic woods and the 'tone' compared to dull fenders.
The NT stuff is made in the EU and costs more, you make less of them, you market them as professional basses and pitch them up with fender custom shop etc. You start bigging up your main selling points "the sound of wood" and the quality of construction.
I personally wouldn't have a massive range of rockbass stuff. It's too confusing. It exists in the budget range against squier, yet squier really only have two models. If i were them I would just do 2-3 versions of a corvette shape in different price ranges. I like the new rockbass's W on the headstock but if I were them would replace it with a 'R'.

Will be a shocker if it does, given Warwick's company pride in quality!

I had a '99 Thumb with a Wenge neck and the old neck profile, it was an amazing bass and I loved owning it! Sadly, Warwick as we know them are prett much already gone, it happened when they changed to ovangkol necks IMO!

Them Koreans are getting a bit good at making basses. Less troublesome EU law causing difficulties too. Not unappealing to a manufacturer I'd guess. Deciding quality will drop due to having slantier eyed workers seems a bit racist.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='TRadford' post='841392' date='May 18 2010, 09:05 PM']Surely if they do that, it would make the new 2010 model Rockbasses obsolete?

The only concernable difference between the new rockbasses that arent released here yet, and the German ones are that they arent made in Germany. If German basses arent made in Germany anymore, surely they will just be Rockbasses.[/quote]

A MIM or CIJ Fender is still a Fender though, isn't it? Seem to remember Fender also making certain series (Lite Ash?) in Korea with an authentic F-Badge.
I bet all those Lakland, G&L and Musicman owners with non-USA unstruments still call identify their basses by the relevant brand, even if they haven't been anywhere the original factory!

I actually hope Warwick keep the bulk of their basses German made, purely for historical reasons - it's always nice to have a German 'Wick. The pics of the new Rockbasses and the Korean Pro Series Corvette look excellent though, i'd certainly buy one if they were the right price (which is doubtful) and i didnt have 2 German Warwicks already.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='841619' date='May 19 2010, 12:58 AM']Them Koreans are getting a bit good at making basses. Less troublesome EU law causing difficulties too. Not unappealing to a manufacturer I'd guess. Deciding quality will drop due to having slantier eyed workers seems a bit racist.[/quote]

:)

I think it's common knowledge that the new Rockbass Corvette and second-hand German Corvettes occupy a very similar space. It would make sense for Warwick to upscale the Rockbass equivalent and drop the German made one. One of their guiding principles is to invest in technology at their German production facility and I gather they are very proud of it. Given that they've had a visit and commendation from the German President in the last couple of months I doubt they will wholesale move production offshore. I haven't read the TalkBass article as I don't consider anything there a primary source of information.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='841619' date='May 19 2010, 12:58 AM']Them Koreans are getting a bit good at making basses. Less troublesome EU law causing difficulties too. Not unappealing to a manufacturer I'd guess. Deciding quality will drop due to having slantier eyed workers seems a bit racist.[/quote]

Absolutely

There is no reason in the world that the Koreans should not be able to make instruments equally as good anything made elsewhere in the world. In the 70s Japanese guitars were equally regarded as inferior while in the 90s, people like ibanez and the mij Fenders showed they were capable of making good products.
The chinese squiers are fantastic for the money.

Instruments are usually made to a price, and we will continue to see production of instruments going to cheaper manufacturing countries and quality will continue to improve.

Parent companies will continue to big up instruments made in the US and in this case Germany, so they can command premium prices. Eventually we will realise that country of manufacture doesnt necessarily affect quality

I actually think Korea/China maybe Indonesia are able to mass-produce instruments to a higher standard than anyone out there. They've got more experience in dealing with huge numbers whilst still maintaining impeccable quality control.

The only thing that disappoints me about the new Korean Warwicks is the price, they should be a good deal cheaper IMO