Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'Normal' Rehearsal schedules - EDIT: Oh what an update! Enjoy!

Musicman20

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='842741' date='May 20 2010, 01:24 AM']Me too. I wonder if they've smelt a rat given how many registrations they've had in a short space of time.[/quote]

Nope - it's run by one lad on his own, who works in an NHS Theatre. They've had quite a few emergencies recently, so he's been working overtime a lot, and just collapsing into bed when he gets home. If he gets a chance, he logs on during work hours on his posh phone, and ok's the registrations. Don't panic, everybody's welcome. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='842963' date='May 20 2010, 11:40 AM']I enjoy the fact the [b]drummer[/b] tried to be friendly about it, then slagged me off to threads down. [b]Does he think [/b]I wouldnt read it?![/quote]

The clue's in his job description. He hits things with bits of wood.

[quote name='paul h' post='842985' date='May 20 2010, 12:02 PM']Due to my hatred of having too many unused accounts all over t'web I haven't registered but I want to know what's going on.[/quote]

I'm expecting that this whole hoopla will have died down by the time that my account gets approved anyway.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='842998' date='May 20 2010, 12:11 PM']I'm expecting that this whole hoopla will have died down by the time that my account gets approved anyway.[/quote]

Yeah. I'm another one on that waiting list. I need to get more of a life! :)

Its calmed down now. I think the drummer realised most the Newcastle music scene has read about his antics. Nice going. Professional ay!

He made out I was in it 'just for the money', well its a good job I wasnt as Im about £60 down from the costs of travelling etc.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='843015' date='May 20 2010, 12:22 PM']Its calmed down now. I think the drummer realised most the Newcastle music scene has read about his antics. Nice going. Professional ay!

He made out I was in it 'just for the money', well its a good job I wasnt as Im about £60 down from the costs of travelling etc.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: but their ads all point to making decent money...which is fine but there needs to be a a balance IMV, and their schedule for rehearsals against gigs in the diary..plus PA hire-in costs to supplement the PA at any gigs they get all sounds pretty muddled to me.

If your gig book has a few £1000 plus dates, then maybe they are getting there in their roundabout way...but 4 months without a gig would try most people's patience. So now, they sack a player and have to start all over again. I bet the new singer is pleased :lol: :lol:

Our band concentrates on gigs that we want to do rather than have to..so fucntions aren't played upto..we just do a party set for people we know or thereabouts..and all gigs get a fee. There is no chance of playing for free...or rehearsing too much so it gets out of hand costwise. Our rehearsals are £8 ph x 3 hrs and we now do no more than 1 per gig.

It is beer money and maybe a night out or two and we have turned down a few nice sounding charity gigs as some members think the concessions on theses dates are paid so why shouldn't they be..
Not geting into the rights or wrongs of that but that is the deal we have to go with.

So..all in all..wont be hearing that Sunderland band on the circuit for quite some time then...:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841987' date='May 19 2010, 01:10 PM']Thats me out. Backstabbing set of t**ts.

Not nice at all, ive spent loads of money rehearsing. Guess they wont be ready for their next two gigs again then.

I will make sure they know I know....and make sure I leave them in the sh**.

To conclude, I didnt even get chance to ask them about this. All I did was explain I had 3 sets of family visiting over the next few weeks so I could only do one session a week. I am also very busy job hunting!

Bit shocked at their appalling lack of honesty.

That makes me look like an idiot.[/quote]

no, it makes them look like cowardly tw*ts, as they haven't talked to you about it before advertising. you're best off out of there.

I think twice a week is way too often to rehearse on a regular basis - my twopence worth

[quote name='cheddatom' post='843170' date='May 20 2010, 02:47 PM']I've never been in a band that didn't want to practise twice a week. This is originals though. I guess with a cover band you wouldn't want to get bored.[/quote]

That's exactly the point. With original material you have to be together to write the songs and then play them until they work. The band all have to be in the same room at the same time.

With covers, you listen to the tracks then learn them. That can be done at home, at work, wherever! The rehearsal is then just that - not a session to [b]learn[/b][i][/i] the songs, but just to get them up to gigging speed.

IME of course! YEMV.... :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='843173' date='May 20 2010, 02:55 PM']That's exactly the point. With original material you have to be together to write the songs and then play them until they work. The band all have to be in the same room at the same time.

With covers, you listen to the tracks then learn them. That can be done at home, at work, wherever! The rehearsal is then just that - not a session to [b]learn[/b][i][/i] the songs, but just to get them up to gigging speed.

IME of course! YEMV.... :)[/quote]

Thats the approach I took.

Actually, once an originals band is REALLY comfortable, like I was with my old band, even once a week isnt necessary if you are all busy and there are no new tracks. Ive done gigs with massive gaps between other gigs/practices! It actually made the gigs really fun and fresh.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='843181' date='May 20 2010, 03:06 PM']Thats the approach I took.

Actually, once an originals band is REALLY comfortable, like I was with my old band, even once a week isnt necessary if you are all busy and there are no new tracks. Ive done gigs with massive gaps between other gigs/practices! It actually made the gigs really fun and fresh.[/quote]

Yeh, but that depends on how often you write. At the moment we're recording every practise and jam lots as well as playing existing songs, so still doing 2 days a week is fun. (I actually do 2 with CreepJoint, 1 with a new band, and 1 with The Premature Ejaculators, and I LOVE practising almost every night).

Bloody hell Gareth.
I only just started reading this thread so i could add my un needed view on the rehearsal question and as someone else said,.its like watching a car crash in slow motion. Its a shame you had to find out like that but at least you know what they are/were capable off.

My reply to the original question is no, i dont think twice a week is out of order, you rehearse for as long as it takes the whole band to be happy with everything, and i guess these guys weren't.
I can understand it from your point of view though, lots of travailing just so one or two other members can get up to scratch 9if it was that reason). Not a good situation and im sure we have all been there. In fact ive been through this guitarist turns up and then learns songs off everyone else, while we pay for it far too many times.
I dont agree that they needed a full PA. I've never been to a rehearsal room that had a full PA although i know some do. A vocal PA is good enough most of the time.

Good luck with the other bands, im sure you will be happier.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='841026' date='May 18 2010, 04:02 PM']"... but i dunno... i don't want to get bored with the songs before we've even gigged them!!"

I know I've been on this board before recommending people to go and watch Normal Watt-Roy in the Wilko Johnson Band, but I first saw these around 25 years ago (and countless times since) and they are still playing largely the same numbers. How many times can you play 'Roxette' without going mad? But Norman still puts more into his performance than any other bass player I know, he's developed things, changed things about and constantly seeks perfection. He doesn't get tired of the songs, he just gets better, as a result I still want to hear Roxette again!

Greg[/quote]
+1 for that,"grafter" is that Norman!
( or "Normal"! :) )

Edited by witterth

Just caught the update from yesterday...

...Sadly I think this is typical of a lot of bands. They obviously (& I'm being diplomatic here) had one vision that they all shared and you have a different perspective. This happens. I do feel the way they have tried to go about it sounds very weak and cowardly (put a few feelers out but keep you in just in case they don't get a bite).

Better off out of it. When bands are this picky they tend to call it quits a few months down the line - I think they are trying to achieve an ideal where everybody wants the same thing rather than accepting compromise is King in a happy band.

Good luck to you & in some ways good luck to them too. I think you are better off out of it & rightly should see this as an opportunity to platform into something better. I wish you well.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='842583' date='May 19 2010, 09:57 PM']"Currently your account is waiting for approval from a staff member. Once an administrator has approved your account you will get access to this forum."

Argh the suspense is killing me.

S.P.[/quote]

Me too...come on...!

Edit...ah looks like I'm late on this one....bugger

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='843292' date='May 20 2010, 04:57 PM']Whoever gets in first should post the login details.[/quote]

I expect that all of our accounts will be approved (or not) simultaneously, so I can't see that there will be a benefit in this. What would be more useful would be if someone who already has an account would copy-paste the relevant threads into a text file (or take screenshots) so that we can PM them between the interested parties.

S.P.