Why become a member? ×

Is a Squier better than a Fender :0

El Bajo

Hi all

Many bassist on the forum buy Squiers and rave about them, so are they better than Fenders? Are they the same quality and playability? Whats the difference in materials? And if blind folded would you really know the difference?

I really wanna know as I'm not a Fender/Squier owner and I'm feeling a little bit of GAS though I haven't got much money. I suppose the main question is when you play a really good Squier do you think [i]'But its a Squier'[/i] similar to [i]'But its a Skoda'[/i]?

I'm not the sort of person that has to have the most well known bass and the latest and greatest, in fact I'm looking at buying a Vintage bass which do copys of Fenders but to really high quality (apparently the guitars are top notch). This is wrong to say, but I feel better about buying a Vintage than a Squire.

If you have a Squier do you secretly wish it was a Fender?

[quote name='El Bajo' post='822873' date='Apr 29 2010, 11:37 AM']If you have a Squier do you secretly wish it was a Fender?[/quote]

In truth, I think you've hit the nail on the head with that question!

IMO the Classic Vibe Fenders (I've got a Jazz) are very good indeed. Certainly better than the Mexican Jazz I used to have. Probably not a good as my old MIA Jazz, but to be honest, there wasn't £600 plus worth of difference.

You can certainly get some very nice Squiers these days which will hold there own against a lot of Fenders. But it doesn't have the "F" word on the headstock, which may be a clincher for a lot of people (probably me included, if I'm honest!).

Part of owning any leading brand is the prestige that goes with it, and some people will always pay more for that.

I had a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, it was fantastic for the money, but wasn't quite as solid feeling or sound as good as my American Jazz. Its all cheaper parts and wood, just very well constructed.
They're excellent for the price, simple as that!

Si

I've got a Classic Vibe Jazz with a Precision style neck on it with some Lakland flats and I have to say that playability wise it's right up there, sure the pups could be changed and speaking of which does anyone have any suggestions?, but outside of that it shouldn't really matter what it says on the headstock..it's how it feels when you play it.

I love mine

[quote name='El Bajo' post='822873' date='Apr 29 2010, 11:37 AM']I'm looking at buying a Vintage bass which do copys of Fenders but to really high quality (apparently the guitars are top notch). This is wrong to say, but I feel better about buying a Vintage than a Squire.[/quote]

You've got that the wrong way round my friend.

I would imagine a good Squier beats a bad Fender. But that can probably be said of any bass by any manufacturer.

If I can slightly tangentalise* the thread...

Does the the current Squier love only apply to the current range? I recently bought a 96 Affinity Strat for £76 and it is fairly awesome. It's got the strat tone in buckets. I am now tempted by a 01 Affinity P. I know the Affinity is down towards the bottom of the range but after my experience with the Strat I have no real concern about it being good value for money.

In terms of logo love, I think the Squier label is more than respectable. To me it says "I like Fender, but I am streetwise enough to buy Squier!" :rolleyes:

*I made a word up! :)

This thread seems pointless. You're comparing a budget bass company (squier) with another budget bass company (vintage). It's like discussing which 6p tin of baked beans tastes better... the answer is neither, a STEAK tastes better!!

I love my Squier Silver series Jazz, and I think I've got a bit of inverted snobbery about it NOT being a Fender :)

My major problem is with other musicians, I think that people (even subliminaly) question your professionalism when a Squier (or Epiphone, for that matter) comes out of your case rather than a Fender or Gibson.

[quote name='skej21' post='822908' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:08 PM']This thread seems pointless. You're comparing a budget bass company (squier) with another budget bass company (vintage). It's like discussing which 6p tin of baked beans tastes better... the answer is neither, a STEAK tastes better!![/quote]

the topic is 'Is a Squier better than a Fender'. Valid topic for debate which will boil down to personal preference.

The original Squiers - with a big Fender logo and a small Squier logo - are often considered far superior to the Fenders of the same era and are still highly sought today.

As simon1964 said is there £600 + difference in sound/playability? Does anyone think the audience would notice the difference?

Re the steak, what if you are vegetarian? :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='822913' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:11 PM']I've always preferred the cheaper stuff with a Hohner a dean the shop couldn't sell and two epi's.

Would love a '51P but like the squier cv and TBH although I would love to have atleast 1 big name atleast once, from reading reviews and comments I can't justify paying the difference between a squier cv and the fender reissue in my head.

After all if I ever gig again how many in the audience are going to know one is swap ash or alder and the other basswood.[/quote]

The Fender '51 is slab bodied where as the Squier CV is contoured, the extra £400 buys you more wood. More wood = good.

[quote name='Alfie' post='822930' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:23 PM']The Fender '51 is slab bodied where as the Squier CV is contoured, the extra £400 buys you more wood. More wood = good.[/quote]

Although, if you are old, and have a bad back, less wood = less back pain = good.

Or if you are fat, and the straight edge digs into your gut, contour= more comfortable = good.

All down to preference.
(though I do agree about more wood personally, good thing) :)

I think if you're shopping for something in that price range (you said you're thinking of picking up a Vintage) then the current Squier range is definitely worth looking at, and many people on here will testify they're great for the price. My Squier is nearly 12 years old now, and since it's had a few upgrades I've used it constantly - not to say it's 'better' than my other basses, but it certainly doesn't feel £100's worse than them!

People rave about them because with a full price USA Fender, you [i]expect[/i] a high standard of quality and construction, because of the name and the price, whereas with something perceived as a budget brand like Squier, it's a pleasant surprise when the quality is far higher than the name/reputation might lead you to expect, so people start gushing about it. I don't think they're quite in the same league as their Fender lookalikes, but on the aceness-per-quid ratio, they do great!!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='822925' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:21 PM']the topic is 'Is a Squier better than a Fender'. Valid topic for debate which will boil down to personal preference.

The original Squiers - with a big Fender logo and a small Squier logo - are often considered far superior to the Fenders of the same era and are still highly sought today.

As simon1964 said is there £600 + difference in sound/playability? Does anyone think the audience would notice the difference?

Re the steak, what if you are vegetarian? :)[/quote]

I agree with you about live sound, but to be fair most audiences care more about hearing a song they know than the quality of sound... they just expect things to sound good. However, I do think that the poorer quality of Squier basses is highlighted by the fact that hardly any session players rate, promote or recommend them. It is clear that there is just something special about hig-end/vintage Fenders when you record them (in the special same way that playing through a flat compressor can add warmth to your sound from apparently doing nothing).

Edited by skej21

[quote name='mike257' post='822940' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:33 PM']I think if you're shopping for something in that price range (you said you're thinking of picking up a Vintage) then the current Squier range is definitely worth looking at, and many people on here will testify they're great for the price. My Squier is nearly 12 years old now, and since it's had a few upgrades I've used it constantly - not to say it's 'better' than my other basses, but it certainly doesn't feel £100's worse than them!

People rave about them because with a full price USA Fender, you [i]expect[/i] a high standard of quality and construction, because of the name and the price, whereas with something perceived as a budget brand like Squier, it's a pleasant surprise when the quality is far higher than the name/reputation might lead you to expect, so people start gushing about it. I don't think they're quite in the same league as their Fender lookalikes, but on the aceness-per-quid ratio, they do great!![/quote]

+1

Most Squiers are equal to most Fenders if, and only if, you're prepared to change out some of the hardware, especially the PUPs and tuners, but sometimes you might need to go as far as a decent neck also. I think Si's point is true, they do feel a little less robust in the main, which suggests poorer quality materials than Fender perhaps, but, despite the fact I love my Fenders to death, I'm the first to acknowledge that they are both significantly better than any Squier, not because Fenders as a rule are better than Squiers, but because my two are outstanding examples of Fender at their best. I've played some Fenders, old and new, that were absolutely shocking, and I might have been lucky, but I don't recall ever playing a Squier I'd describe in the same terms. OK, as the post above suggests, expectation plays a part in that, but I'm sure you get my drift.

One of the best live players I ever saw was playing a Squier BTW.

C

[quote name='Johnston' post='822949' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:44 PM']

Compare the sounds I don't think the squires are too shabby compared to their counter parts.[/quote]

What I have always noticed about that video is that he just doesn't look comfortable playing the Squiers, but I am sure that is more to do with being handed 3 unfamiliar basses compared to his own three that have been set up more to his liking.

[quote name='Johnston' post='822949' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:44 PM']

Compare the sounds I don't think the squires are too shabby compared to their counter parts.[/quote]

Compare the sounds of any bass signal through a beautiful, expensive amp. Would it sound as good through a budget amp? Because lets face it, if you're buying a budget bass, you'll probably be buying a budget amp. I also agree that he doesn't look like he is enjoying playing those basses.

I've played some really appalling Squiers from the late 90s and some more recent models that were equal to a good MIM Fender. None compared to the MIJ/MIA Fenders I'd played, mainly due to the components used but they were certainly good instruments for the money and I'd be happy to own and use them.

I've owned 60-70 basses in the 22 years I have been playing.

I've never owned something as expensive as an Alembic or a Fodera but still, the most expensive bass I have ever owned would probably be a Warwick NT5 Thumb bass.

I have 2 gigs under my belt with my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and am very happy so far but with my previous record it could be away tomorrow.

I am really loving the sound or rather sounds that this thing can produce and it has one of the lowest actions of any bass I have owned.

I have owned MIA, MIM, MIJ and MIJ Fenders and JV, SQ and this current Squier. I am happy to be going out every weekend with this well balanced, well made bass that cost me a tad over £200 brand new in the knowledge that it is going to give me everything I need

The question would be better based around is a Squier 'better value' than a Fender. Let's face it, you can get a Fender bass from £250 right up to £3k and more - I would have no expectation that a Squier would better a £3k bass - but I would think twice as to whether the £3k bass is worth the extra money

[quote name='alanbass1' post='822975' date='Apr 29 2010, 01:09 PM']The question would be better based around is a Squier 'better value' than a Fender. Let's face it, you can get a Fender bass from £250 right up to £3k and more - I would have no expectation that a Squier would better a £3k bass - but I would think twice as to whether the £3k bass is worth the extra money[/quote]

+1

The question is far too vague and doesn't take into account the additional value of the high-end Fenders.
As far as sound and playing goes, it is likely that some people will argue that there is little difference. However, you cannot argue that vintage Fenders have added value through the immense history of the instrument. Vintage Fenders are an investment and a piece of history (although some Squiers appear to be following this trend) but in both cases, result in an increased desire/value.

[quote name='skej21' post='822984' date='Apr 29 2010, 01:21 PM']The question is far too vague and doesn't take into account the additional value of the high-end Fenders.[/quote]

No, the question was pretty specific: are Squiers better? Value doesn't, and doesn't need to, come into it.

[quote name='Beedster' post='822990' date='Apr 29 2010, 01:25 PM']No, the question was pretty specific: are Squiers better? Value doesn't, and doesn't need to, come into it.[/quote]

In which case, I personally think the answer is no. The build quality of most Squiers may be good on the scale of basses but is not as good as the hand built early Fender basses. I just feel that a machine-built bass cannot match the feel and quality of something hand-made.

[quote name='skej21' post='822959' date='Apr 29 2010, 12:51 PM']Compare the sounds of any bass signal through a beautiful, expensive amp. Would it sound as good through a budget amp? Because lets face it, if you're buying a budget bass, you'll probably be buying a budget amp.[/quote]

On the other hand, the added clarity of a high-end amp leaves a sub-standard bass with nowhere to hide (as it were). Any tonal inadequacies will stand out loud and clear!

We weren't there in the room with Ed, and therefore have to listen to his sound through our PC speakers which will obviously colour the sound up some more... But having said all that, I didn't notice any huge differences in sound between the Squiers and their Fender counterparts! But that's just the sound - he makes no comments about the playability of each instrument. One assumes that his own personal guitars have been set up to his requirements, but maybe the Squiers are straight out of the box?

Interesting comparison, but not enough to help anyone decide which one to buy! Have to admit that I'm pretty impressed with the Squiers at that price though...

[quote name='skej21' post='822994' date='Apr 29 2010, 01:30 PM']I just feel that a machine-built bass cannot match the feel and quality of something hand-made.[/quote]

I suspect that some of this is subjective. We expect something "handmade" to be of a higher quality. But surely a good example of a machined instrument will beat a "friday afternoon special" that was made by hand? And that seems to be one of the problems with Fender (and, to a certain extent, Squier) - the inconsistency.

Maybe a comparison between any two basses is a bit daft. Everyone is different and every will love a different bass. The best thing to do is to go in a shop, play it and you'll know straight away if it's right for you! (and if you end up loving a squier and REALLY want it to be a fender, sand the headstock and replace it with a Fender decal lol)