Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever been asked to pay to get into their own gig?

Beedster

We've been booked to do a couple of decent size festivals this summer. I received an email this morning from the organiser of one suggesting that we have to pay for our own tickets! OK, I've done freebies in the past, but paying to gig? Anyway, the other guys are somewhat taken aback, but before we go back to them and say 'no way', I thought I'd better check here?

Chris

That's mental! A restaurant wouldn't ask the waiters to pay for themselves would they? Or a nightclub the bartenders or bouncers?

Asking someone to pay to do a job is quite bizarre in my humble opinion. I reckon you'd be well and truly in the right if you told them to stuff it.

Just my two pence, but I wouldn't go for that at all.

Mmmm, I'm wondering if they have too many bands and want to lose a few! Or want to make it look like they're doing us a real favour by letting us in for free as opposed to the free tickets or fee we'd originally expected (the original deal, albeit arranged over the phone, was 5 free tickets per band member but no fee).

Chris

Bloody stupid. Should always be entry for band members/crew and a few guests, if required. And a fee, of course, that isn't totally variable depending on the weather. And accomodation/meal(s) if its a good distance away. What sort of festival is it?

This would be the point to walk away, before they start saying you can't take any vehicles on site...and can the other bands use your gear?

[quote name='BassBod' post='822710' date='Apr 29 2010, 09:19 AM']Bloody stupid. Should always be entry for band members/crew and a few guests, if required. And a fee, of course, that isn't totally variable depending on the weather. And accomodation/meal(s) if its a good distance away. What sort of festival is it?

This would be the point to walk away, before they start saying you can't take any vehicles on site...and can the other bands use your gear?[/quote]

That's my thinking to mate. It's a pretty decent festival so I'm a bit surprised. Perhaps they've run into financial trouble, or ticket sales aren't happening, and they're just chancing their arm with the acts. I'm now also wondering whether someone their end has got it wrong and has sent the wrong email to the wrong people. I'll hold fire a while and see if anyone else on here is on the same bill and has received the same mail, before getting back to the organisers with a well pitched rant.

C

I've heard of similar and worse situations - often involving dear Glasto, but in the current climate I'd imagine a sharp organiser would be trying every trick to avoid losses "oh, sorry mate, that wasn't what we meant.." will probably be the response, but it was worth a try!?

I have a friend who couldn't get into his own sw***y New York club after-gig party because he took his time getting out of the limo and was split from the band...went back to the hotel in a huff. Rock'n'roll, eh?

[quote name='OldGit' post='822732' date='Apr 29 2010, 09:44 AM']That's bonkers ..
Time for a sharp exit ... unless, of course, it's your ticket to the Big Time ...[/quote]

LOL. as we felt we were getting messed around on free tickets anyway (they wouldn't confirm how many we were getting), we were going to turn up on the day as a 32-piece gospel outfit and take all our mates in as backing singers and horn section. OK, they might have sussed us as a four piece took the stage, but by then we're all in anyway.

Boy that could backfire if we have to pay!

C

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='822765' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:12 AM']I'm affraid we need this story[/quote]

+1 Wayne

Should point out that one of my mates has just emailed me to say the main reason we shouldn't pay to attend our own gig is that we're crap!

[quote name='Beedster' post='822767' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:15 AM']+1 Wayne

Should point out that one of my mates has just emailed me to say the main reason we shouldn't pay to attend our own gig is that we're crap![/quote]

Another +1 for hearing the story from me!

If you wouldn't pay to see yourself then you shouldn't pay to play!

[quote name='Beedster' post='822767' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:15 AM']+1 Wayne

Should point out that one of my mates has just emailed me to say the main reason we shouldn't pay to attend our own gig is that we're crap![/quote]

Arf! Perhaps you do need me and my clipboard after all :)
Give me a ticket for you festival and I'll consider helping out :rolleyes: I coud lbe your horn section if you like :lol:

[quote name='OldGit' post='822784' date='Apr 29 2010, 10:25 AM']Arf! Perhaps you do need me and my clipboard after all :)
Give me a ticket for you festival and I'll consider helping out :rolleyes: I coud lbe your horn section if you like :lol:[/quote]

Yeh yeh! We're OK and getting along just fine, it was just an amusing perspective. The guy in question is probably our biggest fan, and given his size, great security at gigs also!

Edited by Beedster

I recently agreed to loan my band's PA to a venue for a charity gig, and to do the sound for the bands who were playing (my band couldn't play the gig as our drummer was abroad)

I turned up with all the equipment only to be told I would have to pay to get in. Stupid thing is, I would have made a contribution to the charity anyway, but I must admit I got a bit miffed and refused (I still did the PA and sound of course). Not sure whether that was unreasonable of me or not!

I've been asked to pay to get in once when it was a anarchist collective event kind of thing, I said no. I considered my playing as a contribution to the cause.

For festivals, we'd get tickets to the fest as payment for the gig, how many depends on the fest size and our place on the bill. Tickets at £70 a pop for a fesival you'd go to anyway, I think that's reasonable.

Ha ha, reminds me of an episode of Peep Show, if anyones seen it they'll know exactly which one! "I'm not a cockmuncher, I'm in the band!"
Ridiculous, We supported The Blockheads once and it £89 a wristband, and we all got comps, as well as +1's.

[quote name='Beedster' post='822691' date='Apr 29 2010, 09:05 AM']We've been booked to do a couple of decent size festivals this summer. I received an email this morning from the organiser of one suggesting that we have to pay for our own tickets! OK, I've done freebies in the past, but paying to gig? Anyway, the other guys are somewhat taken aback, but before we go back to them and say 'no way', I thought I'd better check here?

Chris[/quote]

Invoice them in advance for twice the amount of the admission fee as your performance fee. That should bring the realities of the situation a little more into focus.

Damn cheek !!!!

T