Why become a member? ×

Am I missing something?

Faithless

My point was that these guys don't get to the top of their game by disliking very much, they're the kinda guys who love music....they don't hear genres. Perhaps their preference is for Jazz, perhaps they just get offered more Jazz gigs compared to straight 'pop' players because of their level of ability!

Si

Well lets look at other instruments for a minute,

Tony Royster Jr has his original stuff that he plays.

But he also plays for Jay Z. Lets not forget, Jay Z could have any drummer at the drop of a hat to go on tour with him, to play simple beats. But he chose this guy and tbh i bet Royster loves it even if its not his favourite stuff to play.

So one night he go from playing this,

And the next night he's playing this.

At the end of the day, they are proffesional musicians that just enjoy playing music.

Just because YOU would choose a jazz gig with little money over a sell out tour with one of the biggest pop singers of all time is totally matters of opinions. So to take it back to your OP, yes i do think you are missing something.

what about playing bass for jay z? i dont like much of his music but i would happily play bass for him for nothing. Its why i like playing rock gigs, if you get everybody there behind you, its a rush of energy you cannot match. And Jay Z got loads of energy at Glasto. His performance of 99 problems with the AC/DC riff was very cool.

Speeking of big gigs who's goin to see Jamiroquai and Stevie Wonder this summer in hyde park? Personally i cant wait

A bloke I know plays with a drummer, who has played with Elton John. The drummer went from a gig a stadium gig at Vicarage Road to a covers pub gig in Luton. Reason for doing so?

Because it was FUN!

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='816297' date='Apr 23 2010, 04:50 PM']Just because YOU would choose a jazz gig with little money over a sell out tour with one of the biggest pop singers of all time is totally matters of opinions. So to take it back to your OP, yes i do think you are missing something.[/quote]

You're saying, it matters of opinions (and yes, my opinion is clear- i would choose jazz gig/tour over a commercial pop one), and, then, I am missing something? Could you, please, be kind, tell me exactly, what's missing there..?

Something tells me, you just can't get over my opinion, not that 'I'm missing something'..

You missing something is that you (seemingly) think these players automatically put 'Jazz' over 'music' just because of their ability!

Thats what I'm seeing anyway!
If you would choose Jazz over anything else, then fair enough.....its a shame because you'd miss out on a lot....but don't think that all these players are the same just because they can shred :)

Si

[quote name='Faithless' post='816335' date='Apr 23 2010, 03:27 PM']You're saying, it matters of opinions (and yes, my opinion is clear- i would choose jazz gig/tour over a commercial pop one), and, then, I am missing something? Could you, please, be kind, tell me exactly, what's missing there..?

Something tells me, you just can't get over my opinion, not that 'I'm missing something'..[/quote]
You asked in your OP if you were "missing something".

There are 4 pages of answers here, filling in what you were missing. The consensus is that most people playing jazz here, including, I might add, some professionals, say they would happily play a pop gig, for fun, for money, for their continued careers.

The way you phased your OP sounded snobbish, or perhaps simply naive. You have come across as quite aggressive/defensive in many other of your posts, and you seem to take it ill when people disagree with you or express an opinion of you based on your posts or style of articulation. [b]Clear?[/b]

I think its important not to get into an argument here!

The OP essentially posted a question, it was asked from what seems to be a dedicated Jazz fan/player stance, when other players who's musical tastes are perhaps more broad answer the post, then yes they will answer the question positively.

Si

[quote name='Bilbo' post='816366' date='Apr 23 2010, 03:51 PM']Listen to some jazz. Chill out :)[/quote]
That's an oxymoron for me, jazz makes me all jumpy and nervous, or in the case of being at the Ealing Jazz festival listening to trad jazz, just angry :rolleyes:

[quote name='silddx' post='816370' date='Apr 23 2010, 03:53 PM']...jazz makes me all jumpy and nervous, or in the case of being at the Ealing Jazz festival listening to trad jazz, just angry :)[/quote]

Brilliant! I thought that was just me!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Faithless' post='816335' date='Apr 23 2010, 03:27 PM']You're saying, it matters of opinions (and yes, my opinion is clear- i would choose jazz gig/tour over a commercial pop one), and, then, I am missing something? Could you, please, be kind, tell me exactly, what's missing there..?

Something tells me, you just can't get over my opinion, not that 'I'm missing something'..[/quote]

What your missing is that Jazz is not the be all and end all in music. I'm going to say the only reason players get drawn to jazz is its the only place there chops & musical talent can be truly appreciated but that shouldn't stop them taking other gigs in different musical situations.

What your missing is you naivety to think that jazz is the be all & end all in music, and thats a pretty sad thing.

Another way to look at all this is compare what Garrison is to the bass world, to what Whitney is to the singing world. Garrison is nothing compared to her if were talking numbers, but both way up there in terms of there skills.

I don't think it's really worth arguing over.
Faithless would rather play jazz than pop. Great. I'm sure there are people on here who will only play
in original projects. It's really the same thing,and it all comes down to what you want out of it.

I'm doing a straight up jazz gig on upright tonight,but tomorrow I'm playing funk and disco on
electric,and midweek I'm playing with an acoustic singer/songwriter. That's the kind of thing I like doing.

Although I really can't stand Trad Jazz..... :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='816389' date='Apr 23 2010, 04:09 PM']I don't think it's really worth arguing over.
Faithless would rather play jazz than pop. Great. I'm sure there are people on here who will only play
in original projects. It's really the same thing,and it all comes down to what you want out of it.

I'm doing a straight up jazz gig on upright tonight,but tomorrow I'm playing funk and disco on
electric,and midweek I'm playing with an acoustic singer/songwriter. That's the kind of thing I like doing.

Although I really can't stand Trad Jazz..... :)[/quote]

Can you tab me that bass part to?...

On seconds thoughts, forget it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='816389' date='Apr 23 2010, 04:09 PM']Although I really can't stand Trad Jazz..... :)[/quote]

So, Doddy, what is your definition of Trad Jazz? Pl keep it to the music and not bring in the 'old guys with beards in pubs' argument.

Yup, variety is the spice of life!

I bet you that the best Jazz musicians/writers don't just listen to Jazz....they write amazing music by taking in, enjoying, and playing all sorts, thats what makes their musical output different!
Same goes for any genre, e.g. metal bands who ONLY listen to metal are usually horrible to listen to, those that have eclectic listening and playing tastes often have much more interesting output!

Si

[quote name='Faithless' post='815107' date='Apr 22 2010, 03:56 PM']To me, it's a bit strange - [b]one day a guy is pushing music boundaries [/b]in Blue Note with some smokin' jazzers (Garrison with Horacio Hernandez and Scott Kinsey..), and the other day he's playing behind Whitney Houston..[/quote]

I am curious as to why you think the clip you posted is pushing Music boundaries?
It was all done in the 70's/80's with various well known fusion bands.[ and possibly by Bassist's on this very forum]
And very likely a real purist Jazz snob would not even consider it Jazz,
Or even think you are strange that you consider it Jazz........... :)

At the end of the day its always a gas playing with great Musicians - whatever the style.[IMO,not to would be missing something] And the more dosh the better.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='bassace' post='816397' date='Apr 23 2010, 04:15 PM']So, Doddy, what is your definition of Trad Jazz? Pl keep it to the music and not bring in the 'old guys with beards in pubs' argument.[/quote]

I've got no problem with 'old guys with beards in pubs'. I don't enjoy listening to the whole Acker Bilk style playing,which is
generally what is classed as 'Trad' over here.
The main thing I don't like is often on the final couple of choruses you get the Clarinet,Trombone and Trumpet or
whatever all 'soloing' at once. I just find it hard to listen to. I've played them kind of gigs and enjoyed them,but I
don't like listening to it.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='816382' date='Apr 23 2010, 06:03 PM']What your missing is that Jazz is not the be all and end all in music. I'm going to say the only reason players get drawn to jazz is its the only place there chops & musical talent can be truly appreciated but that shouldn't stop them taking other gigs in different musical situations.

What your missing is you naivety to think that jazz is the be all & end all in music, and thats a pretty sad thing.[/quote]

Chops and talent? Bro, what you're saying, is just ridiculous.. :)

Therefore, I can't remember saying a word about jazz being 'all & end all in music', but, whatever floats your boat..

I'll stick where we are, for now.

Garrison, Gwizdala, etc do know jazz. But they studied it as a subset of music, which also includes pop, rock, R&B, etc. In order to be a professional musician, you have to take the well-paying gigs. Thanks to their thorough knowledge of music (over and above jazz) they have their pick of gigs. They get paid well to go on stage, play, have fun, and increase their exposure, so they'll probably get more interest in their solo work when they get back off tour and return to their original projects.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Take That - their bassist, Lee Pomeroy, is an old friend of mine, and, seriously, I've never met another bass player who can compare to him, and I've met lots of bass players. He's shockingly good - he can play any style, can do all the flashy, fast stuff (watching a lefty who plays upside down do superfast machine-gun slapping is incredibly impressive), and has perfect pitch. The guy could play in any band he wanted, in any style, but he's taken the fun, well paying gig. I'm not really a TT fan, but good luck to him - he's also got the bass gig with Rick Wakeman and It Bites for when he's not off playing with TT.