Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz

Pete Academy

Nope...you can't hear it out front otherwise I would adjust it. I sometimes use it to imitate a fretless type sound...but I don't want to go too far down that line otherwise I'd get a fretless

So, just a tad of buzz doesn't worry me.........

[quote name='BassJase' post='804143' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:57 PM']The amount of times I hear other bassists say they just can't play my basses because the action is too low...
I play with a really light touch though so I don't get fret buzz, but give it to anyone else and it sounds bloody horrible. :)[/quote]
Likewise. It lets me get a proper clank when needed just by changing my plucking angle slightly.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='804194' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:24 PM']It occurred to me because I recently had a guy say he couldn't gig with his bass because it was so loud, and the other band members could hear it above everything.

Eh? :)[/quote]
How the hell? Is his neck more curved than J-lo's ass?

I don't mind a bit a fret buzz. Like you said,as long as it's not being amplified it's not
a big problem-especially on a rock gig.It gives the note a bit of character when you dig in.
However it really pisses me off when I'm playing Upright.

[quote name='Doddy' post='804322' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:36 PM']I don't mind a bit a fret buzz. Like you said,as long as it's not being amplified it's not
a big problem-especially on a rock gig.It gives the note a bit of character when you dig in.
However it really pisses me off when I'm playing Upright.[/quote]

It bothered me so much I got my upright de-fretted.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='804416' date='Apr 12 2010, 11:41 PM']It bothered me so much I got my upright de-fretted.[/quote]

Yeah ok. :)

That's the only thing that bothers me about Stanley Clarke's Upright playing. His action is so
low that he gets quite a bit of noise from the string hitting the fingerboard- especially when he's in
thumb position.

depends

sometimes my mind stucks and says oh no i have e fret buzzing my god i have to fix this then just i understand is not through the amp

can anyone tell me why i have lower action with 85 105? instead with 80 100 in A and E string ? is because of the tension that string aplies? or and the gauge makes matter to the frets?

I like my action super-low and play with a light touch with thomastiks Jazz Flats. When I bought my mustang it did have an annoying buzz in one area of the neck due to one or two uneven frets once I put on the flats as the issue had been masked with higher tension strings and a bit more relief. I got the frets sorted out at the Gallery and it doesn't buzz at all now. Not really had any problems with any other basses though, apart from my '81 QE2 anchor precision which had a few badly fitted frets from new - also sorted at the Gallery.