Why become a member? ×

Soundchecks

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='802844' date='Apr 11 2010, 06:19 PM']Do you play something that covers the whole spectrum note-wise, or just your favourite riff(s)?

I usually play a verse and chorus of Peg, along with some random low B notes.[/quote]

We always get asked to play and repeat a verse from one of our songs, which I find rather strange as it just gives everything away. I would much rather jam something out that, like you said, covers the whole spectrum. Not just note wise but dynamics and tempo as well.

*may as well add: the verse we always end up playing is Superstition.

Edited by deathpanda

When its me alone Ive always used the bassline from 'Goodnight though' by the wonderstuff, one of the first basslines I learned, it grooves, uses a decent range and I like it, I also like the fact that i still use it lol. I also do some high register stuff with harmonics, just to make sure they understand im not just a 'dum dum' bass player, and that i like the whole register of my bass to be heard, then i go through each effect like guitards do, so they also know im using 'em, they never ask!
The whole band normally play the first song in the set and then a verse/chorus of anything extra needed, such as more keys or extra bv's.

Edited by gafbass02

If it's to check the bass I usually just groove some 12 bar funk stuff in E and ascend through the scale nice and easily so that the sound guy gets a spread of the instruments tone... saying that sometimes 4 notes in and you get the thumbs up... mainly cos he has a default setting for bass I assume! :)

As a band we have a disposable song that we are all comfortable with, hence if you play it at every soundcheck then at least you know how it 'should' sound.

We do a verse / chorus of different songs to cover instrument changes, make sure we do songs with b/vox and a harmonica song too

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='802926' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:16 PM']I think my soundcheck is the shortest in the whole band. Is that good or bad? :)[/quote]

I think bass is usually a quicker instrument to get a line check from. Drums & lead always take longer.

Checking the bass I just noodle, usually in D minor for some reason, usually something with a reggae feel.

Checking my mic I sing the first thing that comes into my head. Last night it was 'Dedication' from Record Breakers. :)

Checking the whole band we play the outro from one of our songs which has all instrumentation (except organ) and all vocals on it. We play another section from that song to check the organ with the band.

I try and play something which fits the genre of the gig. if it's a bit funkier, i might jam some tower of power, or a verse from superstition (with some double stops/a little bit of slap)... for just about anything else, i'll do "the chain" (damn i love that bass riff :) )

as a band, we usually have a cover that's not in the setlist to play at soundcheck.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='803249' date='Apr 12 2010, 12:04 AM']Funny you should ask that question Pete - often in pubs gigs where I have to be the 'beardyman' (why do soundmen always have beards? - even the female ones) we do Steely Dan's 'Do it again' because I can play the open E with my right hand and fiddle with the levels & eq on the PA with my left hand.[/quote]
Show Off :) :rolleyes: :lol: