Why become a member? ×

Bridge covers and pick up covers

iconic

Not wishing to sound like a plum but, well, what are these covers for, what was the original purpose?

...do they do anything for the tone, playablity....or are they more a bling item......and don't those pick up covers get in the way when playing?

this sort of thing..be aware these are puka Korean made bridge covers, not Chinese tat.... :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-COVER-FOR-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS%2f-GOLD_W0QQitemZ390143418289QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=71f951501270a0aad2b10a11fede96b6"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-C...2b10a11fede96b6[/url]

[quote name='iconic' post='794830' date='Apr 3 2010, 08:06 AM']Not wishing to sound like a plum but, well, what are these covers for, what was the original purpose?

...do they do anything for the tone, playablity....or are they more a bling item......and don't those pick up covers get in the way when playing?

this sort of thing..be aware these are puka Korean made bridge covers, not Chinese tat.... :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-COVER-FOR-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS%2f-GOLD_W0QQitemZ390143418289QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=71f951501270a0aad2b10a11fede96b6"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-BRIDGE-C...2b10a11fede96b6[/url][/quote]
I think the original idea was to shield the pickups to help prevent feedback and hum!

Edited by 2x18

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='794840' date='Apr 3 2010, 09:07 AM']I think I remember an old parts catalogue that referred to them as 'hand rest (bridge position)' and 'hand rest (pickup position)'.

Being very old (me), I could of course be wrong.[/quote]
With age comes wisdom, young sir! :)

That's exactly what they are - or at least the neck covers. The intention was that the edge of the palm rested on the cover & the thumb plucked the strings. This is why "thumb" rests (a "tug bar" if you're Rickenbacker) on the G side of the strings were common in the 50s & 60s - an anchor for the fingers of the plucking hand.

Jon.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='795260' date='Apr 3 2010, 08:19 PM']Apparently for the same reasons the ones on the Rickenbacker's do look nice but are a nuisance to play with, specially with a pick[/quote]

The bridge cover looks like it's in the perfect place for me as this is where I rest the edge of my hand!

Goddamn, need to boost the Fender fund now....

[quote name='Bassassin' post='794864' date='Apr 3 2010, 09:52 AM']With age comes wisdom, young sir! :)

That's exactly what they are - or at least the neck covers. The intention was that the edge of the palm rested on the cover & the thumb plucked the strings. This is why "thumb" rests (a "tug bar" if you're Rickenbacker) on the G side of the strings were common in the 50s & 60s - an anchor for the fingers of the plucking hand.

Jon.[/quote]

Right.....

Although I'm pretty sure that 2x18 is right with the feedback prevention idea. I seem to remember
reading a while ago that that was the original intention.

Either way,I think they look great-Especially just one over the neck pickup on a Jazz Bass,Marcus style.
I find it a little weird to play a 4 string Jazz without one now.

[quote name='Doddy' post='795406' date='Apr 3 2010, 11:43 PM']Right.....

Although I'm pretty sure that 2x18 is right with the feedback prevention idea. I seem to remember
reading a while ago that that was the original intention.[/quote]
Maybe... although plainly they have no such effect!

On the EB-0 & EB-3 shown in this 1962 catalogue, Gibson describe their version as "a hand brace for plucking strings":

[url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/gib62p16.jpg"]http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/gib62p16.jpg[/url]

And as such, they don't cover the pickups.

J.

[quote name='iconic' post='795473' date='Apr 4 2010, 06:26 AM']I would have thought it difficult to slap with a neck pup cover....I sometimes use the palm of my right hand to mute the E string...not sure if I should mind :blush:[/quote]

I've never had a problem with slapping with the cover on.If anything,I find it more comfortable.

Check out Marcus Miller and Will Lee-The Pick up cover has never been a problem for them.

I thought that on the Rickenbackers the covers were a legacy from the original pickup design where they were part of the horseshoe magnet.

It's funny how fashions change. Read almost any interview with a bass player in the 70s musical instrument magazines and they were always talking about how if they played a Fender bass the first thing they did was to remove the covers. Leaving the covers on pretty much labelled you as being clue-free.

I've read three of four versions of...

The pickup cover was intended to stop interference.
The bridge cover housed the foam mutes - If you buy a USA Vintage Reissue, they come in the doggy bag you get in the case.

I think eventually they were for cosmetics.

I just think they really tidy up the apearance. And it links up nicely with the idea of the DuPont custom paints being old car colours, nice old American cars had big chrome bits on them, and I think Retro Basses suit them.

I put them on all my Fender Reissues.

On Jazz basses, I usually just put them over the neck pickup, on my latest addition, i've put them both on.

Now. I understand that some people don't get on with them; I didn't at first, but now i can't live without them.

ThisNameIsTaken...do you actually have that doll? I bet it'd look great with Chrome covers on.

For those who DO like the Chrome covers. I'll attach this photo. And Yes, it's Pink.

[quote name='iconic' post='796914' date='Apr 5 2010, 07:33 PM']so they were a '70's fitment?[/quote]

[quote name='iconic' post='795473' date='Apr 4 2010, 05:26 AM']I would have thought it difficult to slap with a neck pup cover...[/quote]

When CLF devised the original Precision, in the 50s, he primarily had guitarists in mind, not double bassists. What he envisage was C&W guitarists being able to get more work by switching between guitar and bass, and playing the new Precision bass utilising finger-picking techniques, so the bridge/pickup covers could be used for resting the hand, but preventing hand position from interfering with the bridge or pickup components. When you take a look at the Broadcaster, Telecaster and Stratocaster, all feature bridge covers, to prevent the hand contacting any bridge component and affecting tuning or intonation. CLF's original Precision patent schematics show the covers in place, with the "thumb" rest placed below the G-string.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='796924' date='Apr 5 2010, 08:50 PM']Pickup covers are the bass equivalent of [url="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/931463292_98a1a45629.jpg"]this[/url].[/quote]

Mmmm nice ! Now if I had a grandmother alive I would try to convince her to crochet a nice pink and white cover for my Italia's bridge cover. Would look well tasty next to the lipstick pups :)