Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz

Hi mate. You will get mixed responses to your Q i am convinced.

I have two Mex Fenders at the moment (2009) and the build is superb.

The Jazz I have is for sale at the mo on ebay and in the For Sale section. Within your budget easily!!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=82576&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=82576&hl=[/url]

I'd go for a japanese one everytime. But like everyone says, you have to check a few before finding a good bass. Worth checking out the squier vintage modified and classic vibe jazz's also. Ive tried out two classic vibes with a good couple of pounds difference in weight.

The Classic Vibe deserves it's plaudits, it's a really well put together piece of kit - and the saving over a genuine Fender will pay for this weekend's boozing, bonus!

If it doesn't have to be Fender, but simply a top-quality Jazz, then I would have said look at something like the Laklands. I had Molan's DJ4 the other month and I think I've played it every day since, it's impressed me that much.

If you're wanting to spend less, then the used market must be a lure - more bang for the buck, and we always seem to have a few listed on here.

[quote name='farmer61' post='793197' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:34 PM']IMO second hand American, quality and price all rolled up in one!!!![/quote]

+1.

You should pick up a decent S1 MIA Jazz for around £5-600 off this very forum if you wait a little while. I don't think there's any major difference sonically or build quality wise to MIJ but it should be easy to move on and you won't lose money on it should you fall out of love. MIM - I've found vary a bit more so unless you want to restrict your spend to £3-350.....

My 2003 S1 MIA Jazz is stunning, never played anything better.

With more modern MIJ's (90's onwards), also bear in mind that they do the lower-end basswood bodied, japanese electronics ones, as well as the alder/ash bodied, US electronics ones......two different basic price points innit.

Si

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' post='792789' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:30 AM']So, looking at a Jazz for my first 'proper' bass.MIA? Are they really that much better than the MIJ/MIM?[/quote]

No/yes *

Love your user name !!!

* other opinions are available

All 3 countries produce some excellent instruments, and especially the newer American standards- the consistency between instruments is great, every one that I've played has been superb.

However, I've played quite a few Japanese Fenders that have sounded and played just as good, if not better, than the US models, but of course there are other options, like resale value, to consider. That said, all Fenders tend to hold their price well, as they'll always be desirable.

If you can get there, I'd recommend going to Electromusic in Doncaster. They've currently got a maple neck, candy apple red MIM jazz which is sublime. Seriously, everything about it is top notch, and it's definitely as good as any US I've played!

• 3 weeks later...

There are diamonds and dogs in all the different Fender ranges. Get out there and play lots of Jazzes in shops and find the one that feels and sounds right to you. Also, as there are so many different models, owning a Jazz bass can be a progression over time. You may move between several very good basses all made in different locations and at different price levels.

In terms of Jazzes, I've personally had a Mexican 5-string Standard, a Squier Vintage Modified 70's, a Japanese Geddy Lee, an S1 equipped American Standard, a Japanese Marcus Miller, a Squier Classic Vibe 60's, a 2009 American Standard & now one of the new Road Worn models. Yes, it looks like I've been through quite a few, but they were all very good examples of their particular breed.

[quote name='farmer61' post='793197' date='Apr 1 2010, 12:34 PM']IMO second hand American, quality and price all rolled up in one!!!![/quote]

I agree, if you get a second hand US jazz at a fair price you should always get your money back if you look after it and decide to move it on at a later date.

My old teacher likes to always say to me that the MIA are most likely built by mexicans anyway.

I prefer MIJ, myself. I've not played a jaguar that is any more superb than another. At the same time you can find something great with a MIA secondhand, then you can feel it's truely yours.

If I had the monies I would go custom but I'm happy enough with my two MIJ fenders.

+1 - there is considerable variation between individual examples of basses from all three sources (one of the frustrations with Fender). No real solution other than getting out there and trying as many as possible. Always good advice to start with the second-hand market, especially here on Basschat where most sellers are entirely genuine and reliable. With relatively low financial impact you can then work your way through a range of instruments by joining the ranks of the GAS driven bass swappers here and end up with something quite good!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='810922' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:41 PM']There are diamonds and dogs in all the different Fender ranges. Get out there and play lots of Jazzes in shops and find the one that feels and sounds right to you. Also, as there are so many different models, owning a Jazz bass can be a progression over time. You may move between several very good basses all made in different locations and at different price levels.

In terms of Jazzes, I've personally had a Mexican 5-string Standard, a Squier Vintage Modified 70's, a Japanese Geddy Lee, an S1 equipped American Standard, a Japanese Marcus Miller, a Squier Classic Vibe 60's, a 2009 American Standard & now one of the new Road Worn models. Yes, it looks like I've been through quite a few, but they were all very good examples of their particular breed.[/quote]

I went to Dawson's in Reading today and played two white Fender Jazz basses, a MIM standard and the US standard. I appreciate this is just one example of each model but I was surprised with the results. The new USA's have a great rep but the new MIM standards clearly raised their game to match the price rise at the time.

Both had similar feels & weights, both examples I tried were rosewood fretboards. Slightly different tonally with the MIM being slightly more growly on the example I played - which I prefered.

The upshot for me was if I was in the market for a jazz (& I sort of am but can't really justify it) I'd go for the MIM. Also the MIMs can be modded to raise their game too but this one was good as stock. Part of my justification is that I already own 2 US P-basses and these are my main instruments but the MIM Jazz I tried today will be a great buy for someone