Why become a member? ×

Single Cutaways. Why?

thack

Single Cutaways. Why?

I think they were designed to stop kids with
A bunch of Bananas fretting hand grip going into Music shops on a Saturday
and trying to play above the 12'th fret. :)

I have a custom SC and the balance/playability and tone are great - for me anyway.
Not everyone's cup of tea though.

Garry

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='790952' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:14 PM']What does that mean?[/quote]

It means that you can't do the whole thumb over the neck,heavy grip thing that a lot of
players do. You have to have your thumb in the centre of the neck when playing in the
upper register of a singlecut bass.

I thought that's what you meant. Do many people have an issue with hooking their thumb over in the higher positions who don't also do it in the lower positions?

It just seems a bit of a nonsense. I mean, most basses have the neck joint in the way once you get up the neck anyway, so it only really helps you out (if at all, which I doubt) between frets 12 and 16 or so.

[quote name='Doddy' post='790960' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:22 PM']It means that you can't do the whole thumb over the neck,heavy grip thing that a lot of
players do. You have to have your thumb in the centre of the neck when playing in the
upper register of a singlecut bass.[/quote]
Oops!! Didn't realise it was against the law! :)

Yes,quite a lot of people do place their thumb over the neck in the higher
register. A lot of peoples thumbs also drag behind the rest of their hand.
On a singlecut there is no need for this.You can keep a good hand position
throughout the entire range of the instrument.

[quote name='Doddy' post='790977' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:37 PM']Yes,quite a lot of people do place their thumb over the neck in the higher
register. A lot of peoples thumbs also drag behind the rest of their hand.
On a singlecut there is no need for this.You can keep a good hand position
throughout the entire range of the instrument.[/quote]

But is it a big enough issue to merit spending so much more on a single cut bass? Just correct bad technique yourself surely? Also I've seen some people with what's viewed as horrible technique do wonderful things and sound great. Different argument I guess though! Btw what's the bass in your avatar? It looks lovely! As for the original post I usually am not a fan, though there's a Sei roaming around here that I love. In fact I think it's in this thread! Really does depend on the bass :)

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='790786' date='Mar 30 2010, 04:43 PM']I think that thing looks like a f***ing dugong. And so do all other single-cutaway bass bodies.[/quote]

I think the marine mammal you are thinking of is a sperm whale.... :)

First of all,I'm not saying that you can't play properly on any instrument. I'm saying that on a
singlecut instrument you cannot put your thumb over the top of the neck when playing in the
upper range like many people do.It's one of the things I like about them.
Secondly, my singlecut is actually lighter than my Fenders,and i'm sure it is a damn sight
lighter than your Warwick.

I'm in the minority I suppose!

I love many of the Warwick (or Spector inspired :rolleyes: ) shapes but I'd not thank you for the Thumb SC... HOWEVER; my main gigging bass of the last 3 years has been a SC. :)

Oh and it balances perfectly and clocks in at not much more than 8lb in weight. :lol:

I love certain Singlecuts but I've seen some that look hideous. I've got a Shuker Singlecut on the way because Jon does one of the designs I actually like.

The Warwick Thumb SC looks borderline acceptable to me but I prefer the original Thumb shape far more. I can't believe the prices they are charging now! The Thumb SC should weigh that much more than a standard thumb as it only has a Bubinga top with an ash body, not the solid Bubinga of it's double cutaway brethren.

[quote name='Doddy' post='791023' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:59 PM']First of all,I'm not saying that you can't play properly on any instrument. I'm saying that on a
singlecut instrument you cannot put your thumb over the top of the neck when playing in the
upper range like many people do.It's one of the things I like about them.[/quote]

I just think it's a weird thing to like about them, because it doesn't seem to be of any benefit. I've seen bassists hook their thumbs over on lower notes but not (as far as I can remember) up the dusty end. Certainly not *only* up the dusty end. And most bass players only spend a tiny fraction of their time that far up the neck anyway.