Why become a member? ×

Dudepit Problems

phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='86669' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:01 PM']As a Lakand fan and indeed a Dudepit fan I am upset that the DPLE111 seems to have hit some snags, I thought about fronting up for one of these as i have a dple1 and just wondered if anyone had any further info?[/quote]

It's a real shame but the dudepit seems to have the forum version of leporosy over the last 2 or 3 years . It's slowly falling apart :-(

[quote name='NickThomas' post='86671' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:05 PM']It's a real shame but the dudepit seems to have the forum version of leporosy over the last 2 or 3 years . It's slowly falling apart :-([/quote]
I've been told that certain members have been ganging up on other members in their classified section.

It would be great if a manufacturer wanted to release a ltd. ed. Basschat version of a UK bass though... ...or amplifier for that matter.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='86685' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:34 PM']good call Crazy, now theres a thought! a BC1 Shuker limited edition.[/quote]
I'd like to see Robbie of RIM do it. He's doing a smashing job on Alex's. AGC would be cool as well.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='86669' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:01 PM']As a Lakand fan and indeed a Dudepit fan I am upset that the DPLE111 seems to have hit some snags, I thought about fronting up for one of these as i have a dple1 and just wondered if anyone had any further info?[/quote]

The 'snags' you refer to are now in Lakland's hands and all looks hopeful for an acceptable resolution but I can't give any more details at present.

Watch this space.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='86683' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:27 PM']It would be great if a manufacturer wanted to release a ltd. ed. Basschat version of a UK bass though... ...or amplifier for that matter.[/quote]
Many manufacturers would probably be up for that as long as there's a minimum order of 30. Lakland certainly need to place an order of at least 30 with Cort to get them made in Korea. Cort also made Korean G&L tributes, Fenders, ibanez, schecter and others.

For a basschat limited edition something not too costly made in europe might be cool like a Czech made Bach [url="http://www.bachmusik.com"]www.bachmusik.com[/url] who also do low quantity custom runs of instruments.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='87305' date='Nov 12 2007, 01:43 PM']About the specs or about the snags?

The specs: it was supposed to be a Burgundy Skyline Decade. Looked nice.

The snags: Steve's no longer a Lakland dealer for whatever reason and it's unlikely you'll be able to get one if you've not ordered it already.[/quote]

Or.... you could order a 'Decade' to your own spec from Lakland. I was quoted $2,500 (+ shipping & import duty of course) - with a 7 month wait(!) when I contacted Lakland direct.
But I don't know what the deal was that Dudepit had struck with Lakland for a bulk order of the same specced bass??

I've no first-hand knowledge of Dudepit or the man himself. There has been a recent thread on alt.guitar.bass about him though. If you don't read news proper like, you can [url="http://groups.google.com/group/alt.guitar.bass/browse_thread/thread/a12d40e2f97bdf0e/8ab22c928951e1a0?lnk=gst&q=dudepit#"]read it through Google[/url] - click on "show quoted text" in the first message to see what Sterling Ball had to say about Steve Barr recently.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='89335' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:34 PM']These ones were Korean (?) Skylines that aren't usually available in that colour. I think that was the only difference.[/quote]

Lakland Skyline Decades aren't yet available in any colour and, as I understand it, no colours have yet been decided for them - but Burgundy Translucent was not generally expected to be a Skyline Decade colour.

Other differences to the projected Skyline Decade were MOP blocks and binding, 5 ply pickguard, black headstock.

Also included were the new Lakland Chisonic neodymium humbuckers with active electronics.

You can see a photoshop at: [url="http://thedudepit.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=2129.30"]Dudepit Lakland Forum DPLEIII Specs[/url] [8th post on that page]

It's not yet clear to what extent, if at all, those specs will change but Lakland are, I believe, working on the matter.

[quote name='tauzero' post='89238' date='Nov 16 2007, 09:08 AM']I've no first-hand knowledge of Dudepit or the man himself. There has been a recent thread on alt.guitar.bass about him though. If you don't read news proper like, you can [url="http://groups.google.com/group/alt.guitar.bass/browse_thread/thread/a12d40e2f97bdf0e/8ab22c928951e1a0?lnk=gst&q=dudepit#"]read it through Google[/url] - click on "show quoted text" in the first message to see what Sterling Ball had to say about Steve Barr recently.[/quote]

There have also been threads on Talkbass, on the EBMM forum, and on the Dudepit. Most of them now closed or deleted, and much of what was said - it seemed to me - came from people who had little or no knowledge of any relevant events and/or who spoke in a pompous and extremely childish manner.

I have no knowledge of many events but I do have an order for a Lakland DPLEIII on the table. On that matter, as I said before, there have been some 'snags' but those are in hand at Lakland and there appears no good reason to expect anything other than a reasonable outcome.

Edited by EssentialTension

Hello Gentlemen,

Let me clear this up for you if I may. (found this on a google newsfeed).

1) I am still a Lakland Dealer according to a telephone conversation two days ago with Dan Lakin.

2) The DPLE III will be made although the order window has now closed and only the 9 people who gave me deposits and my own personal bass will be made initially thus limiting initial production to 10 basses total. There has been discussion with Dan about making this a bass with it's unique features a new model with a name something to the effect of "Skyline Decade DP" and more news will be forthcoming on this as we progress.

3) The initial delivery date of the 10 limited edition basses has been pushed back about 6 months from January 2008 to roughly June 2008 due to production difficulties associated with the Chi-Sonic pickup covers and any of the 9 depositers who wish to back out have been told they may do so by emailing a request for deposit refund to me at [email protected] (orders are not transferable).

4) Not one of the individuals who have been talking smack about me on any of the newsgroups has lost one dime by dealing with me and in fact the instigator of the thread on alt.guitar.bass freely admitted to never having done any business with me ever. Furthermore, I challenge ANYONE to publicly state how, when and how much they've lost by doing business with me as a customer in the 10 years I've been in the bass business.

5) As far as what Sterling Ball says on his forum about me I will only say that there are two sides to any story and leave it at that as I have been threatened with litigation and choose not to say anything further after seeking the advise of legal counsel. I will say this though as it is the truth as I know it so help me God...He has used personal situations in my life unrelated to my bass business and interjected them out of context in such a way to make it appear that said issues are in fact related to my business transactions and that simply is not the case. (See #4 above).

Thank you for the opportunity to make a statement regarding this matter.

Pip, Pip ya limey bastards!!! :)

I've been keeping out of this one (as an ex-Dudepitter) so far, but seeing as Dude has now joined in and therefore knows what's being said, I'll just chuck this one in:

I did a transaction with Dude in January of this year, sent my money and waited. Nada. Sent PM's and e-mails, Nada. Even spoke to Steve on the phone once - nice guy. Still nada. Got pissed off, decided the money was gone, put it down to experience, move on.

At that point, I could easily (and justifiably?) have started posting on web-sites about being ripped off. Didn't.

Four months after my last contact with Steve, with no further chasing by me, package arrives. Guess what?

Two points:
1. If Steve was a rip-off merchant, he could easily have kept the money and the goods. By the time he sent the package he was under absolutely no pressure to do that except his own honesty.
2. The internet has made character assassination far, far too easy. I know nothing about those Laklands, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until you have spoken to [i]both[/i] sides of the story.

Anyone want a soapbox?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='89779' date='Nov 17 2007, 10:05 AM']At that point, I could easily (and justifiably?) have started posting on web-sites about being ripped off. Didn't.

Anyone want a soapbox?[/quote]

Yes, it's much too easy to get on that soapbox - trial by Internet. Too many people ready to be jury and judge and hangman.

EDIT: I meant to quote this too:
[quote name='Happy Jack' post='89779' date='Nov 17 2007, 10:05 AM']2. The internet has made character assassination far, far too easy. I know nothing about those Laklands, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until you have spoken to [i]both[/i] sides of the story.[/quote]

As another customer of Steve's I doubt very much if anyone's ever lost a penny doing business with him. What Steve does (or doesn't) do in his private life, or how he chooses to run his finances is nobodies business but his own. If I was in the market for another Lakland bass there's no doubt he'd be my first port of call.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='89876' date='Nov 17 2007, 01:50 PM']Its good to see so much support for Steve here. :)[/quote]

Agreed but this kind of thread always worries me because it so easily (on some forums) collapses into claim and counter-claim and so unofficial trial by internet.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='89898' date='Nov 17 2007, 03:05 PM']Agreed but this kind of thread always worries me because it so easily (on some forums) collapses into claim and counter-claim and so unofficial trial by internet.[/quote]
So long as everyone sticks to the established facts and avoids making any unfounded speculations (which DOES happen on other forums) then I don't envisage there being a problem with just showing support. In any case, if there is legal action pending I suspect that both parties would be reluctant in saying anything more in case it jeopardises their respective cases.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bumnote' post='101493' date='Dec 8 2007, 08:19 PM']According to dudes blog, its moving to a new server and is supposed to be back up later this weekend[/quote]

It's back at [url="http://www.thedudepit.com"]www.thedudepit.com[/url]