Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone know the exact bassline of this?

skampino

[quote name='skampino' post='788925' date='Mar 28 2010, 09:53 PM']Don't suppose you'd be so kind as to tab it for me would you?[/quote]

Sorry dude.
I could write it out for you but I don't have anyway of
scanning it onto my computer yet.

And after all my slagging off of tab,I couldn't do it that
way in principle. :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='788953' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:31 PM']why not learn it your own way?

I've never bothered to listen to it to learn it note by note and have been playing it regularly in bands for the past 15 years.[/quote]
"learn it yor own way"....pphhwww

bit of an excuse really,
learn it properly from the record...the "my version" is usually a bit crap (EVEN when its Bill Wyman and the 4 notes requried)can you belive that?

getting a gig means you have to do this type of irksome thing :)

[quote name='witterth' post='788977' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:58 PM']"learn it yor own way"....pphhwww

bit of an excuse really,
learn it properly from the record...the "my version" is usually a bit crap (EVEN when its Bill Wyman and the 4 notes requried)can you belive that?

getting a gig means you have to do this type of irksome thing :)[/quote]

If you're depping and the band want it learnt as the record then you learn it as the record but if its your own band then what difference does it make?

Do you really think that punters will be listening that closely?

I rarely play anything as it was done originally unless the bass line is the main part of the song - eg you couldn't improvise Good Times by Chic cos the bassline is the song.

Plus I've never had a period in my playing career where I've not been in at least one band and have never been told to learn it like the record so that irksome thing hasn't been an issue.

Sorry to go but you really don't know me and take offence at someone telling me that what I am playing is crap.

[quote name='witterth' post='788977' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:58 PM']getting a gig means you have to do this type of irksome thing :)[/quote]
Really, though... if it's a good line that suits the tune, no-one will care wether it's the same as what ol' Bill played.

I wouldn't be suprised if he made the part up on the spot, tbh.

[quote name='skampino' post='788925' date='Mar 28 2010, 09:53 PM']Don't suppose you'd be so kind as to tab it for me would you?[/quote]

[quote name='Doddy' post='788959' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:44 PM']Sorry dude.
I could write it out for you but I don't have anyway of
scanning it onto my computer yet.

And after all my slagging off of tab,I couldn't do it that
way in principle. :rolleyes:[/quote]
:lol:
I was going to say, don't mention TAB in front of Doddy. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='788998' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:17 PM']I wouldn't be suprised if he made the part up on the spot, tbh.[/quote]

Thats what I like about Bills stuff.. its no big deal but he nails it every time for me. Why would Albert Lee be bothered otherwise! All good.

This was a thing I encountered - it is one of the tunes my lot cover. I listened to all the versions of this that I could find - the original, live on YouTube, wherever - and there is almost a different bassline each time. In the end I made something up that fits and no-one seems to have noticed.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='788953' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:31 PM']why not learn it your own way?

I've never bothered to listen to it to learn it note by note and have been playing it regularly in bands for the past 15 years.[/quote]

Although I have the ability to improvise, it is not the way my band or I like to cover songs, which is why my post does say I want to learn the exact bassline of the 'original chart release version of the song'.

Unfortunately in all the the recordings I've accessed, parts of the bassline are difficult to hear.

Grand Wazoo - Thankyou for the suggestion. Albeit the best, the version on 'Songster' is just another improvisation.`

Sorry if this offends but I have to agree with Witterth, that learning it your own way is a cop out. Anyone can improvise to make it easy for themselves. I have only been in bands that require each instrument to play precisely what should be there, whether it be a radio edit, studio or live version that's been agreed upon.
I can't think of anything worse than gigging in a well established music venue and have the p*ss taken out of you by other musos who know you aren't playing the actual bassline.

[quote name='skampino' post='789233' date='Mar 29 2010, 10:58 AM']I have only been in bands that require each instrument to play precisely what should be there, whether it be a radio edit, studio or live version that's been agreed upon.[/quote]
Do you only play in tribute bands?

[quote][quote]QUOTE (skampino @ Mar 29 2010, 10:58 AM)
I have only been in bands that require each instrument to play precisely what should be there, whether it be a radio edit, studio or live version that's been agreed upon.[/quote]
Do you only play in tribute bands? [/quote]
That or a 'Fundamentalist' cover band. The problem there is how does one deal with a song that goes to a fade. Come up with your own ending? Copy the ending from the live album? Hire Dave Lee Travis to talk annoyingly over the last chorus?

This problem can even afflict the superstar artist in live situations. I remember Springsteen putting a key change into 'Because The Night' as a 'lift' during the run-out choruses. Cue 60,000 people at Wembley going "Wuhh?" and Nils Lofgren quietly shaking his head.

I appreciate the OP's problem though - those Golden Age songs are pretty murky at times. Maybe cop a decent quality MP3, drop it into something like audacity, punch up the relevant frequencies with a plug-in and slow it down.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skampino' post='789233' date='Mar 29 2010, 10:58 AM']I can't think of anything worse than gigging in a well established music venue and have the p*ss taken out of you by other musos who know you aren't playing the actual bassline.[/quote]

By all means learn the "actual" line...they're usually played or written that way for a reason...I always try to, but please don't let your playing be guided by what you think some other muso might, or might not be thinking about your bass playing....who gives a crap?
If you and the band have a policy of staying true to the original parts, that's reason enough. :)

As has been said before, old Bill would have played the song many times and would have "gone off course" many times too, don't suppose he cared....... :rolleyes:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='789346' date='Mar 29 2010, 01:22 PM']Do you only play in tribute bands?
That or a 'Fundamentalist' cover band. The problem there is how does one deal with a song that goes to a fade. Come up with your own ending? Copy the ending from the live album? Hire Dave Lee Travis to talk annoyingly over the last chorus?[/quote]

We ran into this issue when we began an ebullient, under-rehearsed encore of Sweet and Dandy and half the band asphyxiated before we figured out how to end it...

[quote name='Monz' post='789375' date='Mar 29 2010, 12:49 PM']Here you go this might be of help

[attachment=45988:brown_sugar_bass.pdf]

If it's not in the right key, has any wrong notes or is complete garbage remember it's always gonna be worth what you paid for it :)[/quote]

Looks fairly good that, just hope its the right version now.

Sticky Fingers.. best name for an album, ever!

[quote name='oldslapper' post='789362' date='Mar 29 2010, 01:40 PM']By all means learn the "actual" line...they're usually played or written that way for a reason...I always try to, but please don't let your playing be guided by what you think some other muso might, or might not be thinking about your bass playing....who gives a crap?
If you and the band have a policy of staying true to the original parts, that's reason enough. :)

As has been said before, old Bill would have played the song many times and would have "gone off course" many times too, don't suppose he cared....... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Skankdelvar: I took your advice and downloaded Audacity so it will help. Thanks :0)

In answer to questions from others:

No, I don't play in tribute bands. (Never have or would as I would get bored playing one genre).

Yes we have a keyboardist (who also plays sax if we need it).

I care about what other musos think of me as a bass player because I want to be regarded as damn good.

I want to get as close to the original bassline as is possible in a live situation. If that's not for you, that's your perogative but it's not the way I prefer to approach covering someone else's music.

I may well start another topic questioning improvisation!
Here's a starter:
If someone has to learn a bassline which has multiple runs and decides to just play root notes, is that improvising? I call it skimping, laziness or probably lack of ability to do anything else. What's your view?

[quote name='skampino' post='789549' date='Mar 29 2010, 04:00 PM']Skankdelvar: I took your advice and downloaded Audacity so it will help. Thanks :0)

In answer to questions from others:

No, I don't play in tribute bands. (Never have or would as I would get bored playing one genre).

Yes we have a keyboardist (who also plays sax if we need it).

I care about what other musos think of me as a bass player because I want to be regarded as damn good.

I want to get as close to the original bassline as is possible in a live situation. If that's not for you, that's your perogative but it's not the way I prefer to approach covering someone else's music.

I may well start another topic questioning improvisation!
Here's a starter:
If someone has to learn a bassline which has multiple runs and decides to just play root notes, is that improvising? I call it skimping, laziness or probably lack of ability to do anything else. What's your view?[/quote]

My view..

Interpret the line, improve it if I can, but - importantly - keep the flavour and important hooks as they are.

Personally I have no interest copying a line exactly. No-one cares, for a start...