Why become a member? ×

When should you play with a drum machine?

No1skewenjack

I used to play the bass about ten years ago, then walked away to concentrate on DJing (dance music) and then walked away from the music scene to join the Navy. I've now started to get back into playing again.

I am rusty as hell and have started to have lessons again. Im learning the right technique and so on, I picked allot of bad habits and I don't think I learnt the right way before.

I have a electric keyboard which has a built in drum machine and was wondering If it would be a good idea to play along with the basic drums? No melody etc. Im learning 12bar blues at the moment. So im still very much at the early stage. Would I be trying to walk before I could run so to speak or would it help me get back into the groove?

Start off slow. Playing to a rhythm will be helpful, but only as long as you're not going too fast to make comfortable changes. Start slow then gradually up the tempo, and focus on getting every note to sound tight.

Speed isn't the thing to strive for here, it's consistancy :)

I prefer playing to a drum machine anyway -

They are cheaper and far more reliable than drummers........ :)

Oh and they slow down and speed up when you want them too and you dont have to keep buying them beer and lugging all the bl00dy kit around...!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-MRT-3-MRT3-MICRO-RHYTHMTRAK-DRUM-MACHINE-PSU-VGC_W0QQitemZ250596844386QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Drum_Machines_Grooveboxes?hash=item3a58bc6362"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-MRT-3-MRT3-MICR...=item3a58bc6362[/url]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='786185' date='Mar 25 2010, 07:04 PM']I prefer playing to a drum machine anyway -

They are cheaper and far more reliable than drummers........ :)

Oh and they slow down and speed up when you want them too and you dont have to keep buying them beer and lugging all the bl00dy kit around...!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-MRT-3-MRT3-MICRO-RHYTHMTRAK-DRUM-MACHINE-PSU-VGC_W0QQitemZ250596844386QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Drum_Machines_Grooveboxes?hash=item3a58bc6362"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-MRT-3-MRT3-MICR...=item3a58bc6362[/url][/quote]

And they dont keep telling you what sticks they use.

Garry

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='786294' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:36 PM']I'm not sure about the 'play with a metronome' thing. To me, a drum machine is the same thing, but more interesting. I love jamming along to the Roland Cube Microbass RX.[/quote]

Well, the theory goes that playing with a drum machine lulls you into a false sense of security - making you feel a groove when there isn't really one.
Different strokes for different folks really.

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='786511' date='Mar 26 2010, 12:00 AM']Well, the theory goes that playing with a drum machine lulls you into a false sense of security - making you feel a groove when there isn't really one.
Different strokes for different folks really.[/quote]

Ahhhh,but the trick is to make it groove. You can also set a metronome to click on 2 and 4 and try to make
that groove.If I ever use a metronome this is what I do.

If you want to play with a drum machine or whatever, I'd advise that you don't do it until you are
totally comfortable with the notes and rhythm of whatever you are playing.

When playing an exercise with a click from the beginning,many people become too focused on the time
and don't pay enough attention to the other aspects and often let mistakes slide in order to play it
in time. In the practice room it doesn't matter if you are in time or not. Play the exercises and focus
on getting the notes correct and consistent. Later on if you want to play them with a click,go for it,
but don't be afraid of stopping and fixing your mistakes out of time.

Using the drum machine is a good thing. I'd go as far as to say bump some sounds in there too or even a simple chord pattern.

I'll play along to anything I hear.
I set the neighbour's car alarm off the other day just to get a different groove (was in Ab at @ 110 bpm).

I started using one recently as somehow I'd drifted past groove and into the land of slop :-) Few weeks with the beat thing on a zoom b2 put me back on the straight and narrow (sort of). Good for working up ideas etc too. I wouldn't use one all the time tho, cos that would be dull - but now and again is definately a good thing.

Most drummers seem to vastly overrate themselves - well the ones I've met. (The only one who didn't was a mate who had no kit, no lessons, knew his limitations and just jammed with us because it was fun).

Drum machines don't have egos, which is a great benefit.

[quote name='Doddy' post='787282' date='Mar 26 2010, 06:18 PM']To be honest,so do a lot of other musicians.[/quote]

Ah, yes, can't argue there.
I think that's why I used to really enjoy jamming with my best mate. He always doubted his ability, but I always found it really easy to play bass when he was playing. Halcyon days. :)

[quote name='lowdown' post='786282' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:23 PM']And they dont keep telling you what sticks they use.

Garry[/quote]
We don't always go on about the sticks. I mean I use Vic Firth SD2 Extreme Boleros but you don't hear me yapping about it.

[i]wait, hang on...[/i]