Why become a member? ×

New to forum, and new to bass

squiddon

I was told to chat to you guys about where to start with the bass.

I have a 200-225 budget and have drawn up a shortlist of beginners basses and was wondering which one gives me the most bass for my buck:

LTD EC 54
Ibanez GSR200
Dean Edge 10a
Ibanez SR300
Washburn XB120
LTD B 50
Squier Jazz Bass

I've also been offered a used Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 4 for £200 too.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll be posting on here a lot!

Hi Squiddon

If it were me, knowing not a huge amount but a heck of a lot more than I did when I started, I would buy second hand, not new. And second hand from this forum - much safer and everyone seems straight down the line.

Further to that I would buy Mr Foxen's [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75875&hl=thunder"]Westone Thunder 1A[/url] for £150. (I think he might even drop a bit). Disclaimer is that I don't actually own one but want to - except in black - everything I have read about these Westone Thunder basses is that they represent just about the best value for money you can get. Heavy, yes, but solidly built and the 1A gives you the choice of active or passive - a vast range of sounds from such a simple instrument.

Edited by Paul S

hi and welcome, I don't have experience of all on your list but the Ibanez sr300 is a brilliant bass for the money, also Squier jazz's are excellent too, but you need with Squier to get the highest spec bass you can afford e.g. Classic Vibe jazz or Vintage Modified jazz even if you have to buy second hand. Also a cracking bass for the money is the Yamaha BB414, i've recently seen mint second hand VM jazz and a BB414 for under £200.

But the best advice any bassist will give you is try as many as you can. cheers...Nick

There are always some great bargains on here. We've had a whole host of basses posted within your price range - and some, like the £125 Epiphone Thunderbird, with enough of a saving to get a few rounds in. I'd really recommend having a look in our 'For Sale' section - it'll give you chance to chat to the people who've owned the gear, talk about set-up, etc. It's something you simply won't find in most shops.

From the list, if I had to pick from those you've posted, I'd be drawn to the Squier Jazz. The Classic Vibe Jazz has an RRP of around £309 but is definitely a beauty, but the other models aren't far behind. I'm pretty sure there's been a couple of good looking Squier Vintage Modified Jazzes for sale here and within budget.

Your list of 'beginners' basses are a hell of a lot better than the crap I started with; from good beginnings and all that!

Welcome in chief.

Try as many as you can and go with what feels right for you. If you can't play too much at the moment just try holding it and seeing how it feels. Owning a musical instrument is a very personal thing and you should just enjoy the hunt for that all important first one.

Welcome to Bass.... Welcome to Basschat

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='786133' date='Mar 25 2010, 06:15 PM']Try as many as you can and go with what feels right for you. If you can't play too much at the moment just try holding it and seeing how it feels. Owning a musical instrument is a very personal thing and you should just enjoy the hunt for that all important first one.

Welcome to Bass.... Welcome to Basschat[/quote]

Very sound advice, a definite +1

Having been in a similar sort of position myself I would +up what the previous posters have said and suggest you go round the local music stores and try everything you can get your hands on, find what you like, then get it second hand from the "for sale" section.

So far I've picked up a cracking bass and combo and there's an effects pedal in the post, all from basschat.
Everyone has been great to deal with and have all given good solid advice.

Lots of people on here with waaaaaay more knowledge/experience than I'm ever likely to pick up, and all seem to be willing to share.

Welcome to basschat

New or second-hand..? I think you'll likely to get more value from a second-hand bass from here.
If you research the sale and the seller, you could or should end up with a decent bass that is set-up well and has been looked after.

You'll need to get to know the seller as well as the bass for this, but I think you likely to come out well... as most people have history here
and wouldn't want to ruin that for a couple of hundred pounds...or at all, come to that.

Just my take on it... not 100% fool-proof, of course.

Definately try new, but buy second hand.

One of the nicest basses I've played recently was the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz (while on honeymoon in New York just before Xmas). I was blown away. So much so that it has stuck in my head more than the $3000 Sadowsky's I played on the same trip. They're outstanding value and are starting to appear in the for sale forum here (the Sadowsky's were awesome too, but didn't quite have the same value to awesomeness ratio!).

Also consider the Ibanez ATK - this may not suit everyone as it's physically quite a big bass for a 4 string, but sounds AWESOME. In my book it stamps all over the Ernie Ball/Musicman Stingray that it's modelled on (and which costs more than 3 times as much). There's one in the for sale section at the minute for £250. Bargain!

Again, thanks for the info guys. A friend has lent me a cheap tanglewood, not the best bass in the world but it will tide me over until I find a bargain. Now I can relax and look properly. The Westone has been sold unfortunately :) that looked like a crackin' bass to be fair.

+1 SR300 (unbelievably ergonmic and easy to get started on)
+1 Squire VMJ
+1 trying out new & buying 2nd hand

One other point, IMO it is a must that whatever you buy, new or used you get the setup checked over and taken down to a medium-low action.

As a beginner having a badly setup bass will be immensely damaging to your enjoyment (and in an extreme case it could cause you to injure your hands), making the whole experience far harder, physically than it needs or should be.

That's a fair shout. I'm going to head into town tomorrow and try out a few basses mentioned, then I'll keep an eye out for deals for my favourite. I should be good for setting up action etc. I've been playing guitar for over 10 years and frequently set up my own and friends' guitars.

[quote name='squiddon' post='786022' date='Mar 25 2010, 05:45 PM']I was told to chat to you guys about where to start with the bass.[/quote]

I personally would never buy new again, the price difference makes it pointless. It seems the 2nd-hand value of an instrument is the 'real value' - if you come to sell it, its likely you'll get similar to what you paid. A new instrument is worth considerably less as soon as you hand over your cash. That's always been the case with me, at least.

I would definitely consider a used Warwick/rock bass. You can pick them up for very little, they're very well built, sound great and are pretty versatile. Also add a +1 to the Epiphone Thunderbird pile - they feel a little cheap, but are good basses for the money, imo.

Edited by implo

It might matter to you what you intend playing on it? Do you have an image in mind, what kind of sound do you want to have? Not much point in having a HM pointy-all-over-bass if you want to play jazz for eg.

Personally I don't like Fenders or Fender derivatives, because everybody & their auntie has one it seems, so I do like something that stands out, but not to the point where I'd look a knob. (well, no more than usual :) )

I've actually joined a band, they're an upbeat post-rock affair. Hence the questions about a n00b bass. I need to get a relatively decent one fairly soon. I've never been a huge fan of fender guitars but for some reason I really like their basses.

Chap called Marcus Bell has a Squier VMJ for sale for £180, absolute bargin!

Edit here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78608&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78608&st=0[/url]

Buy it before I do...

Edited by tom1946

I was shopping for a friend's son just before Xmas, and tried the Dean, GSR200, what I think was an SR200(?), and a Classic Vibe Jazz. I walked away with the Dean. Quite a nice bass all round, which actually surprised me because nobody ever seems to give Dean's a heads up. Played a damn sight better than the Squier as well (though I suspect the Squier needed a good set up). I might have choosen a Peavey Zodiac (which was very nice also), but I didn't think my friend's son would appreciate the aesthetics

Having said that, I was only trying new basses because my friend wouldn't take my advice and buy second hand. :)

Just giving you guys an update. I got hold of an SR300. Blew everything else I wanted to play out of the water. It was the amount of tones I could get out of it and the action that were the killer factors for me. Being a guitarist coming to bass having quite a thin neck really felt awesome to play. Now all I need to do is get Entwistle good and I'll be happy! Cheers for the help dudes!