Why become a member? ×

Bands - Film Yourselves Live For A Bit Of Honesty

The Funk

I've just received copies of DVDs of two gigs I did with my band a while ago. They make for some interesting viewing. It's great seeing what you look like from the audience's perspective.

Things I've noticed:

1. Stage positioning - try to make sure all of your band members are visible from most angles. If the drummer and the singer are both slap-bang in the centre of the stage, noone will see the drummer - and for a lot of people the singer and drummer are the two most exciting people in a band (probably because anyone can figure out what a voice and a drum kit sound like, which is not necessarily the case with the other instruments).

2. Engaging the audience - why not do what acoustic singer-songwriters do and introduce each song? They get to know what the song's about, what you're about as a band and it gives everyone a chance to connect with the material, band members included. It also kills any dead time between songs.

3. Being entertaining - it isn't enough just to play the songs well. You have to be entertaining to look at too. That doesn't have to mean light shows and explosions. On a basic level it has to be clear to everyone that you are really enjoying the enjoyable parts, really exerting yourself on the tricky parts, really connecting with the other members of the band in the music. Do everything you would normally do but in a more exaggerated way. It just doesn't come across visually otherwise.

4. Bring your own crowd - the more the crowd is into you and the bigger that crowd is, the better your performance will be. If you're playing to an empty room or to a room of people not into the music you make, you'll have nothing to feed off and you'll give a pretty dead performance. What's the point?

Has anyone else used video footage as a good way of figuring out ways to improve your band's stage show? And do any of you have any thoughts on live performance you'd like to share?

[quote name='The Funk' post='785754' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:59 PM']Has anyone else used video footage as a good way of figuring out ways to improve your band's stage show? And do any of you have any thoughts on live performance you'd like to share?[/quote]
We're about to - footage form 2 weeks ago and some to be filmed this weekend should do the trick. We've done the recording ourselves and learnt stuff so why not video, all your points are spot on I think :)

Points 1-4 are what we always aim for live Mr Funk. Very succinctly put.

We saw too many miserable bands who hardly acknowledge that they're playing to an audience.

We want to put on a bit of a show. It is entertainment after all. Hell we even get some 'let me see some hands' clapping going at most gigs. No shame us.

Oh, just something about where you should be looking:

1. Into the crowd - when you're vibing off their energy;
2. At your fellow band members - when you're vibing off how locked into the music you are;
3. At your fingers - when you're intensely focused on your playing (this one is overdone by most people);
4. Up at the ceiling - when the whole performance is taking you off onto a higher plane of consciousness.

[quote name='The Funk' post='785779' date='Mar 25 2010, 01:18 PM']Oh, just something about where you should be looking:

2. At your fellow band members - when you're vibing off how locked into the music you are;
3. At your fingers - when you're intensely focused on your playing (this one is overdone by most people);
4. Up at the ceiling - when the whole performance is taking you off onto a higher plane of consciousness.[/quote]

lol at #4

Great advice. I'll only add, don't be afraid to dress in stage gear! Even if it makes you feel like a prat. As said above, it's showbiz.

[quote name='The Funk' post='785779' date='Mar 25 2010, 01:18 PM']....just something about where you should be looking....[/quote]
1. Into the crowd - to see who's coming at you with a brick;
2. At your fellow band members - when you're trying to work out why no one’s playing the number as you rehearsed it;
3. At your fingers - when you're too embarrassed to look anyone else in the eye;
4. Up at the ceiling - when the whole performance is taking you into shambles city.

Sounds like your gigs are a tad better than some of mine!!

Great points Syed, they make absolute sense to me. I always try to remind myself that whenever someone talks about going to a gig, they always come to 'see' the band. This means that there is a whole other side of things to be considered other than the music - the stage show as such. In fact, because most of the audience are in no way musically inclined (unless of course you're doing a clinic in a guitar shop or something), then most will actually appreciate a bit of stage banter and choreography more than a blistering 2 minute guitar solo or the tone of your new RH450. It's a sad fact but I think we as musos have to admit it!

I've never watched footage of myself throughout a full gig, but have had MD recordings made in the past where the band would sit down in the few days afterwards and listen critically to the whole set. It's amazing how constructive criticism can up you and your band's game.

[quote name='The Funk' post='785779' date='Mar 25 2010, 01:18 PM']Oh, just something about where you should be looking:

4. Up at the ceiling - when the whole performance is taking you off onto a higher plane of consciousness.[/quote]

5. At the Bridesmaid with the massive norks who has had one too many to drink and is about to be unleashed in front of everyone.....

Seen it many many times :)

I'd agree with all the above.

My only point of contention (if it could be called that) is with number 2.

Its even better to have no dead air at all, just run striaght from song to song, zero silence, zero talking other than an brief "Y'alright!" between say the third and forth song of the set...

Thats proper hard to do, and tbh I've only seen one local band manage it really well, but they just blew everyone else away whenever they played as a result, the audience energy would just lift with each intersong segue.

Very very skilled at their craft they were....

I record (audio) every gig. Really useful for working out where the balance should be in songs.

Plus I'd like to second the call for banter between songs. I'm exclusively in experimental, arty bands, but I still introduce every song and do some chat. People think better of the whole performance as a result (I know because I ask them!).

[quote name='crez5150' post='785865' date='Mar 25 2010, 02:30 PM']5. At the Bridesmaid with the massive norks who has had one too many to drink and is about to be unleashed in front of everyone.....[/quote]

Hah, very, very useful advice!

[quote name='51m0n' post='785888' date='Mar 25 2010, 02:55 PM']I'd agree with all the above.

Its even better to have no dead air at all, just run striaght from song to song, zero silence, zero talking other than an brief "Y'alright!" between say the third and forth song of the set...

Thats proper hard to do, and tbh I've only seen one local band manage it really well, but they just blew everyone else away whenever they played as a result, the audience energy would just lift with each intersong segue.

Very very skilled at their craft they were....[/quote]

That's what I was originally going for with my band. It works well for some bands. If you have a kind of band philosophy that runs through your band name, look, sound, lyrics etc., the audience might miss out on a lot of that if you don't let them in on it. You have to figure out which way works best for your band. I think we can all agree that dead space works for noone.

[quote name='The Funk' post='786014' date='Mar 25 2010, 04:38 PM']That's what I was originally going for with my band. It works well for some bands. If you have a kind of band philosophy that runs through your band name, look, sound, lyrics etc., the audience might miss out on a lot of that if you don't let them in on it. You have to figure out which way works best for your band. I think we can all agree that dead space works for noone.[/quote]

Yup agreed completely :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='785830' date='Mar 25 2010, 01:51 PM']1. Into the crowd - to see who's coming at you with a brick;
2. At your fellow band members - when you're trying to work out why no one’s playing the number as you rehearsed it;
3. At your fingers - when you're too embarrassed to look anyone else in the eye;
4. Up at the ceiling - when the whole performance is taking you into shambles city.

Sounds like your gigs are a tad better than some of mine!![/quote]

:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='785888' date='Mar 25 2010, 02:55 PM']I'd agree with all the above.

Its even better to have no dead air at all, just run straight from song to song, zero silence, zero talking other than an brief "Y'alright!" between say the third and forth song of the set...

That's proper hard to do, and tbh I've only seen one local band manage it really well, but they just blew everyone else away whenever they played as a result, the audience energy would just lift with each intersong segue.

Very very skilled at their craft they were....[/quote]

Excellent thread, Mr Funk.

I agree with the points made so far.

I'd add that lighting is crucial. There's a Wiki on band lighting that makes a huge difference to how good you look in a pub. Basically for one pub gig fee you can get yourself a few lights that make you look 300% better and [b]much[/b] more professional.

Thanks, fellow 51m0n, for making one of my "cracked record" points about removing the dead air. Holding patterns and segues, planned and rehearsed talkie bits, training your front person to [i]be[/i] a front person etc.
So many bands decry segues but they really work and as a consequence the band looks so much more confident, professional and polished than one stopping between each tune.
Anyone near Bristol/Bath/Cheltenham should go and see Rich's band [url="http://www.soul-destroyers.co.uk/"]The Soul Destroyers[/url] for an excellent example of how to do it... and the effect it has on what is basically a covers band but one which sells out 400 capacity venues and has a following.
It works very well at battles of bands to lift your band above the rest as you look slick and rehearsed and entertaining.

Filming your gigs is also great for finally convincing the guitarist that tuning up audibly between every number is not such a good idea. (see the other thread)

However, film can't capture atmosphere and the vibe of the audience and you (the bass player) should not really worry overly that anyone in the audience is watching you and all you do. Well they won't be watching you as much as you are in the replay. :) So if you look a bit off the planet sometimes don't worry about it[i] too[/i] much. Don't tell the rest of the band that, though, or they will never address their shortcomings :rolleyes:

[quote name='crez5150' post='785865' date='Mar 25 2010, 02:30 PM']5. At the Bridesmaid with the massive norks who has had one too many to drink and is about to be unleashed in front of everyone.....

Seen it many many times :)[/quote]

I'm in the wrong type of band! Gotta start learning "Lady in Red" etc, and join a wedding band.

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='OldGit' post='786276' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:20 PM']However, film can't capture atmosphere and the vibe of the audience[/quote]

It's funny you should say that. Of the two gigs that were filmed, the most exciting and entertaining one was the one with the better crowd. Somehow the vibe comes across. (I think it has something to do with the yelling and screaming).

[quote name='OldGit' post='786276' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:20 PM']you (the bass player) should not really worry overly that anyone in the audience is watching you and all you do. Well they won't be watching you as much as you are in the replay. :) So if you look a bit off the planet sometimes don't worry about it[i] too[/i] much. Don't tell the rest of the band that, though, or they will never address their shortcomings :rolleyes:[/quote]

Very true - I agree with all of this.

[quote name='OldGit' post='786276' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:20 PM']I'd add that lighting is crucial.[/quote]

I'd agree with this as well. The lighting on both shows was wrong. On the first one the venue didn't turn on the stagelights until halfway through the set! On the second one the venue didn't turn down the houselights enough. The trouble is that we didn't have control over that at either venue.

I wonder if there are still ways in which bands can take this into their own hands to an extent, even when playing on a packed bill of several bands.

[quote name='The Funk' post='786536' date='Mar 26 2010, 12:49 AM']I'd agree with this as well. The lighting on both shows was wrong. On the first one the venue didn't turn on the stagelights until halfway through the set! On the second one the venue didn't turn down the houselights enough. The trouble is that we didn't have control over that at either venue.

I wonder if there are still ways in which bands can take this into their own hands to an extent, even when playing on a packed bill of several bands.[/quote]

Hum.. Sounds tricky. I can't see it being popular to get the broom handle out and take 10 minutes changing the position of the ceiling PAR cans before you start your set if you are band number 3 of 5...

Pub bands should never, ever play without "stage" lights though.
[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:industry:stage_lighting"]Wiki entry on lights.[/url]

Edited by OldGit