Why become a member? ×

Stingray, Sterling or Bongo ?

far0n

[quote name='johnny dissident' post='149393' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:51 AM']GUESS WHAT I'VE GOT.[/quote]

Caps lock stuck on? :)

I have a Stingray and a Sterling, prefer the sound of the ray but the Sterling feels and plays great. Never tried a bongo, was offered one last week but have no spare bass cash at the mo. Bongos are fugly bog seat lookalikes though (im my humble opinion lol).

Pete.

Buy Mikehs' Bongo. I played it a couple of nights ago, and was knocked out. Personally, I think they look fantastic, and the power and range of tones is unmatched by any other Musicman model. I love my 'ray, but would [i]love[/i] a Bongo.

[quote name='Rayman' post='149715' date='Mar 2 2008, 09:03 AM']Buy Mikehs' Bongo. I played it a couple of nights ago, and was knocked out. Personally, I think they look fantastic, and the power and range of tones is unmatched by any other Musicman model. I love my 'ray, but would [i]love[/i] a Bongo.[/quote]

+1 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never played a Sterling, but I have both a Bongo HH and a Stingray (3EQ).

The Stingray is without doubt a great instrument, nice to play and has a feel and shape I'm comfortable with.
It definately has a lower output on the G string though which I'm lead to believe Stingrays often suffer with.

The Bongo really works for me though, a very versatile range of sounds and tones, and an even response all over the neck.
I know some don't like the look of it, which might affect it's resale value, but if that doesn't bother you, you'll probably find the Bongo a better bet in the long run.

Thinking about it again, I actually rarely play the Stingray these days and reach for the Bongo instead.......

• 1 month later...

just bougt a stingray hh 3 eq 4 set up on delivery was ok after a bit of tweeking the bass is brilliant a real growl of a sound cuts through the mix ok it is used with a ashdown ABM 575 WATT head and 1x 15 and 2x10 abm cab the tonal veriations are pretty good and does not seem to be lower in volume on the g string i also use a gb bass from mr goodfellow a differant style off bass sound due to the electrics on bernies bass as the ray is 12 volt with cut and boost of 15db whilst bernies bass is 24 volt and a cut and boost of 24db it also depends on what you want from your bass the amp will make or brake that sound you are looking for as my gb bass sounds incredable via a ebs amp but the stingray sounds best via the ashdown set up
hope i have not confused you to much all i can say is try them out its all about personall prefrances

[quote name='far0n' post='84957' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:31 PM']Tried a friend of mine's Musicman Sub the other day and woah! Does that thing have some balls. So I thought I'd buy a Musicman, thing is I can't decide which to buy. I'm intrigued by the Bongo and Sterling but wondered if anyone had preferences/thoughts on the matter. Are they all variations on a theme ??[/quote]

I know I'm probably going to regret saying this but here goes anyway. Why not get a SUB. Although discontinued in 2006 there are still excellent used examples available. And a few new ones if you look hard enough. You are absolutely right - they do have balls and plenty of them. I have had a SUB for four years now and in that time I have had a Stingray that has come and gone. Why? - because I kept playing the SUB and the Stingray stayed in the case. You have tried the SUB and liked it. Only a suggestion but why not?

Edited by Hutton

Ive got a 3eq EBMM 'Ray, and you cant go wrong with it. BUT I am looking to get a bongo HS or HH 5er to add to the collection.

IMO go for the ray unless you want something uber light then get the stirling and if you want the tone go for the Bongo. 'Ray is the way forward though.

Well, now that I'm just back in the MM club here's my 2p.

1990 2EQ Ray, loved it, hated the way the paint fell off and a little weighty at 9.5 lbs - but lovely sound.

2004 Sterling. Sold the Ray after 15 years of ownership and bought this. Neck much nicer than the old Ray but ironically weighed about 0.5 lb more and with the smaller body balanced less well - sold it after a year of not much use.

After giving up on Laklands I've just picked up Barks 3 EQ CAR Ray (haven't checked year yet - probly 2000-2004ish). A bit lighter than my original Ray and the neck feels a little shallower and faster (could be the oil finish, they were/are both maple boards).

Bongo - gotta get me one of these when I find one at a reasonable price. Tried one at a Jam night - killer sound and uber light.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='149382' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:16 PM']I have a Sterling and it's a great bass, I sold it and then it returned and I'm made up by that.

Light, small and sooo playable.

With a Nordstrand Pickup I'd say it's got the balls of a Ray too![/quote]

Ooops Pete then sold this too me (after some badgering).

I have to say that I've A/B this with one Ray (may be doing another soon with Marcus) and even the Ray's owner commented that this trumped it... though I have to establish if this is partially down to the Nordie or the maple f'board (Ray had rosewood... or was it Pau Ferro?).

If your smaller of stature I think a Ray can dwarf you, whereas the Sterling seems to fit better.

Can't comment on the Bongo :)

Had a nice afternoon in Bass Central yesterday and will prob come back with something off this page-

[url="http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/sterling_fretted.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/sterling_fretted.shtml[/url]

The Sterling H/S is one sweet bass. :)

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='178852' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:08 PM']Had a nice afternoon in Bass Central yesterday and will prob come back with something off this page-

[url="http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/sterling_fretted.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/sterling_fretted.shtml[/url]

The Sterling H/S is one sweet bass. :)[/quote]

I could spend ALL DAY EVERY DAY here
[url="http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/lefties.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/lefties.shtml[/url]
[swoon]

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='178852' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:08 PM']Had a nice afternoon in Bass Central yesterday and will prob come back with something off this page-

The Sterling H/S is one sweet bass. :)[/quote]
Fantastic place, that. Wish I'd brought something back with me when I went.

Be sure to keep us posted on any developments :huh:

im no expert on the multitude of different basses however.... i got a sterling hs at xmas and im chuffed to bits with it.it has a 5 way switch and 3 band eq.you can dial in pretty much any tone you could wish for.the neck is nice and slim as the others have said but compared tonally to my jazz this things on steroids.
ive never played a stingray so ive nothing to offer there but the sterling hs does have a wonderfull voice.
heres a wee piccie,aint she cuuuuute. :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='179263' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:55 PM']im no expert on the multitude of different basses however.... i got a sterling hs at xmas and im chuffed to bits with it.it has a 5 way switch and 3 band eq.you can dial in pretty much any tone you could wish for.the neck is nice and slim as the others have said but compared tonally to my jazz this things on steroids.
ive never played a stingray so ive nothing to offer there but the sterling hs does have a wonderfull voice.
heres a wee piccie,aint she cuuuuute. :huh:
[/quote]

thats lovely that is. nice looking bit of ash. :)

how are they wired,are both p/ups series or parallel?

cheers

thanks very much for the compliment.
there's a pdf here [url="http://www.music-man.com/instruments/sterling.php"]sterling hs[/url] that can explain it better than i ever could.Its not quite the same as the stingray...as far as i know. :)

Edited by kennyrodg