Why become a member? ×

Ever Played A Gig...

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='772432' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:03 AM']I stood in with my mate's band last night, a charity event at a local pub. One hour set consisting of Dr Feelgood covers and other blues-rock numbers. Great fun, and as far as you can get from my usual gig. Made a nice change, and I got to play my new 79 Jazz, to boot. :)[/quote]

Oooh love that stuff. Were you Norm for the night? Did you wear fake eye bags? :rolleyes:

I dep a bit and really like the different ones though the work needed can be a bit daunting and drives the family a bit bonkers sometimes :lol:

[quote name='OldGit' post='772444' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:10 AM']Oooh love that stuff. Were you Norm for the night? Did you wear fake eye bags? :rolleyes:

I dep a bit and really like the different ones though the work needed can be a bit daunting and drives the family a bit bonkers sometimes :lol:[/quote]

I played most of the set with a pick to get the right sound (something I've never done before) and my hand seized up after a couple of numbers. :)

[quote name='yorick' post='772451' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:13 AM']My first orchestral dep playing Holst's Planet suite from end to end for a wedding in the grounds of a medieval manor. :)[/quote]

I would have travelled a long way to do that gig ! what a tremendous peice of music !

what were you playing ? arrangement ? the orginal orchestral or modded for electric ?

T

I was a guest guitarist for [url="http://www.ianboddy.com/"]Ian Boddy[/url] at a gig in the early 90s. At that time guitar was most definitely my 3rd instrument (after bass and synth). Ian had a track on his then current album that featured a lot of sampled guitar and he thought it would be a cool idea to do it live with a real guitarist as a surprise encore. It was pretty nerve-wracking for me as the part was pretty much at the limit of my playing ability, also I had to spend the whole gig (over 90 minutes) sat back stage so as not to spoil the surprise. Ian's music was not as pop or rock as I would normally have liked at the time, but it did show me that I could enjoy playing music that I wouldn't normally want to listen to.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='772487' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:41 AM']I would have travelled a long way to do that gig ! what a tremendous peice of music !

what were you playing ? arrangement ? the orginal orchestral or modded for electric ?

T[/quote]
Can't remember the arangement, but it was for full orchestra, but i had to modify my part for an NS eub i managed to borrow. :)

ha ha since I have just formed a covers band playing stuff that most bands might not cover..this is pretty far removed from my previous dep days
which would be blues gigs or Soul revue type stuff and/or functions.
None of our stuff is really buskable and we would love to fit in a sax and harp player - from the depping bands days - but there just isn't the room.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='772432' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:03 AM']I stood in with my mate's band last night, a charity event at a local pub. One hour set consisting of Dr Feelgood covers and other blues-rock numbers. Great fun, and as far as you can get from my usual gig. Made a nice change, and I got to play my new 79 Jazz, to boot. :)[/quote]
Some years ago, I made that kind of journey, but in the reverse direction. Depped in a jazz band for one gig.

Hideous train-wreck, bodies everywhere, strong men weeping, etc.

[quote name='JTUK' post='772706' date='Mar 12 2010, 01:00 PM']Doing a blues gig with a pick...?????? nope couldn't go that far?
or even do it anyway..
might be an exercise in double thumping but even then...?? :)[/quote]

When I was listening to the songs, most of them sounded like they were played with a pick. I haven't used one for over 30 years. About 3 songs in, my hand became really painful, so I had to ditch it. Pity, as the sound was spot on.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='772741' date='Mar 12 2010, 01:21 PM']When I was listening to the songs, most of them sounded like they were played with a pick.[/quote]
Your ears do not deceive you. Sparko (Dr Feelgood) played almost exclusively with a pick, as did many of the blues rockers of the time.