Why become a member? ×

Best Bassist in the world

Basska

There's no such thing. 'Best' is in the eye of either the beholder or the ego, depending on whether you are bestowing the title or claiming it. Jaco often claimed to be the best and reckoned it wasn't bragging if you could back it up... a lot of people would argue that he never did.

Such a broad subject and entirely subjective depending on who is listening. Was Lemmy a better bassplayer in Motorhead than James Jamerson? Probably- Would Lemmyhave been any good at Motown- definitely not!!

Would Wooten have been as good at Motown- I`m sure he would have given his best but you cant really compare the two can you?

For me its Jamerson- I think he always played what the song needed but not just that. He still took bass somewhere else. Wooten, Jaco etc - that style is all about chops but Jaco was certainly musical- if not a genius- who knows- lots would agree- lots wouldnt.

Bob

Asking who is the best bass player in the world is never going to give a good solid answer-basically
because there isn't one.
Look at the number of debates on this site alone about how good so and so is. Those who are major fans
of The Who will say Entwistle is(was) the best,but I would always say I don't rate him. Likewise, I'm a big
fan of Wooten,yet others dismiss him as w***ing.
If you are looking at certain area's I'm sure you can find players who are better or worse than others-
eg. Hadrien Feraud is better technically than Pete Wentz,or Will Lee is a better reader than Fieldy etc.
But as a general best bassist competition it's mostly subjective. I would never class a player who has played
with one band for a career as the best bassist,yet many people would disagree with me (eg. Geddy Lee).I'd
much rather hear players like Will Lee,Nathan East,Jeff Berlin,Glenn Worf Marcus Miller etc.,but are they any
better than Paul Chambers,Ray Brown,NHOP etc?