Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately I think the era of cheap Gus Guitars is long past, especially since the Prince connection. I was lucky enough to get my G1 guitar and the G3 black 5-string bass back when the new prices were a fraction of what they are now.

Yep, that is what I assumed.

If you were going to go back in 1996 that would have been in the very early days, as this October is the 30th anniversary of the original weekend in 1994.

It was, the ticket was on black paper hand written in gold ink, and you contacted them by email or through uk.people.gothic on usenet to sort tickets out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It was, the ticket was on black paper hand written in gold ink, and you contacted them by email or through uk.people.gothic on usenet to sort tickets out.

It looks as though they'd moved on the embrace new technology in the two years since the first one where the contact details were just a house address and landline phone number!

I know this because I have a friend who is involved with the Whitby Museum archive and is in the process of putting together material from the very first WGW. As part of that he was at the gig interviewing members of In Isolation and Chaos Bleak as they were at the first one either as punters or members of the bands that played.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It looks as though they'd moved on the embrace new technology in the two years since the first one where the contact details were just a house address and landline phone number!

I know this because I have a friend who is involved with the Whitby Museum archive and is in the process of putting together material from the very first WGW.

I think I still have my ticket somewhere - I was going through a box recently and found it. Not sure where it is now, probably find it going through boxes again. I was probably got by asking someone who actually phoned or knew them (probably countb at the time) as I didn't do much phoning (I still dont!).

PS: Thanks Dad for your valuable contribution to the conversation.

• Haha 1

H'eh', Iv'e cr'eat'ed a r'ule in uB'lock Ori'g'in s'o I ne'ver see that effin' Po'lice ca'r again.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' - so there!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Both Hurtsfall and In Isolation played the Goth At The Brewery Event on the 27th as part of WGW.

This is a free gig at Whitby Brewery on the Saturday afternoon of the Goth Weekend organised by Dominique from the band Westenra and over the past 3 years has grown from being fairly low-key to one of the major events of the weekend, and for those who attend WGW for the music probably as important as the "main" event at the Pavilion as it showcases the current generation of Goth bands. It draws a massive audience made up of people who are there for the music rather than parading around town in their "costumes" and is now so well attended that the main doors of the room are opened to allow people outside in the courtyard to see and hear the bands too.

This weekend was a "Nottingham takeover" with Chaos Bleak also playing.

Hurtsfall were on first at 2.00pm. We probably had the best on-stage sound of the afternoon, but even so there were problems with the monitor in front of me which kept cutting out. However due to the nature of the band we are well used to playing under less than ideal conditions, so it wasn't really a problem, and everyone we spoke to afterwards (including several people whose opinions I trust) said the FoH sound was excellent. The audience appeared to enjoy it, and we sold a decent amount of merch afterwards.

This photo was taken at the beginning of our set just before Sam, our singer, got everyone to move forward so that more people could get into the venue. Even after that there were still almost as many people outside enjoying the gig as there were inside (and yes that is Whitby Abbey you can see in the background):

437727690-10161619458961948-643936543859

And two more general gig photos:

440870287-8183434128339741-1963677611369

439856387-8183220701694417-4680463761444

Chaos Bleak probably pulled the best crowd of the afternoon due to both their time slot and their reputation. And then at 4.00pm I was back on stage with In Isolation. By this time it appeared that all the foldback had stopped working - There wasn't anything coming out of the wedge in front of me, and unlike during Hurtsfall's set I couldn't hear anything from the other two. Still we powered through our set even though it sounded weird on stage. Again we were told afterwards that FoH the mix was excellent, but it was unnerving playing some of the songs with longish intros on the backing tack where they were barely audible on stage, so having no clue when our drummer was going to count us in! Also we discovered that playing last in the afternoon isn't the ideal spot as people tend leave before the end so they can get ready for whatever night-time event they are going to. Still there were a decent number who stayed all the way through our set, and we even had to sign CDs at the end - something which always bemuses me...

For some reason there are a distinct lack of photos from our set on Facebook and this one of me was the only one I could find.

438099915-10161619565881948-296138860870

Cool pics!

Daryl

17 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

tHgijtm.gif

@Dad3353 While I applaud your efforts to improve forum literacy, if this was aimed at me it is of zero use unless you also quote and point out where I have wrongly added or left out the apostrophe, and as I am mildly dyslexic could be interpreted as bullying.

Also in the grand scheme of writing on these forums, missing an apostrophe out or putting it in the wrong place is low down on the scale of crimes against literacy that I have seen inflicted here. However if you were to flag up every error you'd be sticking in some inane graphic after every other post.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

@Dad3353 While I applaud your efforts to improve forum literacy, if this was aimed at me it is of zero use unless you also quote and point out where I have wrongly added or left out the apostrophe, and as I am mildly dyslexic could be interpreted as bullying.

Also in the grand scheme of writing on these forums, missing an apostrophe out or putting it in the wrong place is low down on the scale of crimes against literacy that I have seen inflicted here. However if you were to flag up every error you'd be sticking in some inane graphic after every other post.

Id not really thought of it like that before but youre right, it is a form of bullying. Im very dyslexic and couldnt agree more. 
Plus, has to be said @Dad3353 now quite tedious and doesnt contribute anything to the discussion (unless it’s a discussion on grammar)…. a bit like this post really! Basschatters have never been very good at sticking to the subject and this doesnt help. 

• Like 7

If it was directed at you, then it was in error.  You used one apostrophe, correctly.  It was in the word "they'd" which is a valid contraction of "they had" or "they would" according to Oxford Languages (and take your pick from a plethora of other sources)

image.png.047b97e3f70811eb2626cda465eef8e6.png

Not only that, but you used it technically correctly, as it is not the primary noun in the sentence.

image.png.643ae4bbab9ad15866516a7aa105e0c7.png

So I honestly must assume that Dad is not an idiot and the Apostrophe Police weren't looking for you.  Otherwise, it's an erroneous arrest, guv!

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If it was directed at you, then it was in error.  You used one apostrophe, correctly.  It was in the word "they'd" which is a valid contraction of "they had" or "they would" according to Oxford Languages (and take your pick from a plethora of other sources)

image.png.047b97e3f70811eb2626cda465eef8e6.png

Not only that, but you used it technically correctly, as it is not the primary noun in the sentence.

image.png.643ae4bbab9ad15866516a7aa105e0c7.png

So I honestly must assume that Dad is not an idiot and the Apostrophe Police weren't looking for you.  Otherwise, it's an erroneous arrest, guv!

Unless of course @Dad3353 is saying people shouldn’t be lazy by using apostrophes and type in full instead?! 
Perhaps Dad could clarify this and the reasons for his obsession… but only if he does it in a dedicated thread to the apostrophe police or we’re never hear about people’s gigs again. 

• Like 1

Well this is something I never thought I would discuss on BC. The Oxford Comma goes against everything I was taught at school. Incorrect use of commas was the precursor (or should that be pre-cursor?) of a wooden board rubber hurled, at close to the speed of light, towards the offending head.

However it doe add clarity to many sentences a is explained very well here https://www.rd.com/article/oxford-comma-proper-use/.

The purpose of writing or speaking is communication, (Oxford Comma) and as long as the meaning is clear, then who cares? Maybe a polite DM to the author of any offending piece would be a kinder way to point out his/her error. Of course discussions about the Oxford Comma, and its use, will not be tolerated.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Well this is something I never thought I would discuss on BC. The Oxford Comma goes against everything I was taught at school. Incorrect use of commas was the precursor (or should that be pre-cursor?) of a wooden board rubber hurled, at close to the speed of light, towards the offending head.

However it doe add clarity to many sentences a is explained very well here https://www.rd.com/article/oxford-comma-proper-use/.

The purpose of writing or speaking is communication, (Oxford Comma) and as long as the meaning is clear, then who cares? Maybe a polite DM to the author of any offending piece would be a kinder way to point out his/her error. Of course discussions about the Oxford Comma, and its use, will not be tolerated.

Oh no… now we’re going to have the comma police as well!!! Next thing you know there’ll be an exclamation mark police!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Jeez, it is Douglas having a bit of fun.  Lighten the flip up, guys.

At the expense of the dyslexic! Only joking… well, mostly. But you’re right and we should get back to the business of the thread and talk about gigs. 

8 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Jeez, it is Douglas having a bit of fun.  Lighten the flip up, guys.

There is an important difference between having fun with others and having fun at the expense of others.

Sam x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Oh no… now we’re going to have the comma police as well!!! Next thing you know there’ll be an exclamation mark police!!!!!!!

You're nicked! I was writing with my tongue pushing out my cheek, ever, so slightly.

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

image.thumb.png.d24caba10e0ef41559d7e5393be6dc2a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

If it was directed at you, then it was in error...

On 02/05/2024 at 13:48, BigRedX said:

... The fact that Whitby has it's up and coming own goth band in Westenra has most definitely helped to keep the music current.

The question 'Does Humour belong in Music..?' has its answer here. No bullying; I can't know the status of every BC member, and I dish these out randomly (so fairly...) whenever the mood takes me, whoever has blundered. It's usually only the predictive typing at 'fault' anyway, but the poster has not read through his/her copy to spot these little things. No kittens die, the sun rises the next day with or without my tiny joke, but, as it seems to offend so many folk maybe I'll sit it out for a while.
Have fun, y'all, bunch of grumpusses that you seem to be. I'm sorry that the lighter side of Life has not come across for you as I would have hoped. Never mind...  :friends: Peace.

• Haha 2