Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 06/04/2024 at 09:53, dmccombe7 said:

where in Wishaw Lee ? 

Found it ........ Bar 6. Have fun tonight mate and remember to breath in tight as it gets very tight in there when a band is on. Seems to be doing well and taking a bit of business away from Girdwoods these days. Mate from The Led Zep Story Jack Nimmo helps out a lot with bands in there and does a lot of jam sessions in it. 

Dave

Sorry, missed the reply Dave. Yes, they call it “The Live Livingroom”, but we went down a treat and he’s offered us more gigs. It is quite compact and bijou. 🤣 But great audience and when you take it for what it is, it’s just fun. Any gig I’m back in Lanark before the takeaway shuts, is classed as a good venue. 🤣

Friend plays drums with Jack, so will need to pop down and see them. 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EssexBuccaneer said:

I can appreciate the frustration of mistakes, but if anyone in my band turned up at rehearsal with the intention of ‘knocking us into shape’ then I’d imagine they’d be looking for a new band, sharpish.

The crowd enjoyed it, job done. Make a metal note of mistakes and work on those sections in rehearsal, without ego. Everyone makes mistakes.

I never mentioned mistakes. It's an overall attitude of that'll do, tempos up and down etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Played a pub in Exeter, best not not name it.

Bit of a spoons look to it and its big

Lovely lovely landlord.

So maybe 70 or 80 people in there but felt half empty. We played pretty well but just no atmosphere.

Couple of punters came up and aked for biz cards and I had run out, typical! 

Been playing there for years but Im beginning to wonder if its worth it.  Good money too...

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Played a pub in Exeter, best not not name it.

Bit of a spoons look to it and its big

Lovely lovely landlord.

So maybe 70 or 80 people in there but felt half empty. We played pretty well but just no atmosphere.

Couple of punters came up and aked for biz cards and I had run out, typical! 

Been playing there for years but Im beginning to wonder if its worth it.  Good money too...

Post Bank-Holiday slump? I went to one of my locals last night and it was very quiet. Last Saturday, Easter weekend, it was busy. It looks like people are choosy about when they go out in the current economic circumstances.

• Like 3

Like @skidder652003 last night it was the huge pub, big audience but felt half empty. Bar manager (a drummer) apologised for it being quiet due to the weather but it was still more people than most places we play. Despite being a 'rock' demographic not much atmosphere to feed off although some folks danced or filmed us.

But odd night all round. Drummer forgot his cymbals and had 80 minute round trip to fetch them. But 7:30 start(!) We made 7:40, and were done two hours later! Even with our long pack up and long drive I got back to the local for 11:20 and somehow ended up mixing Jack Daniels and baby Guinness until 2am...

We all felt we weren't at our best, but t afterwards and half time got people saying it was good. And we got a booking at the break from the landlady of another pub and another landlord took a card. So we were probably ok but really didn't feel it!

That said, we had a couple of off piste improvisations that were fun, and I doubled a bit of Alex's solo on sharp dressed man - he started laughing and then I got cocky and fumbled...

I  did do some bvs, hopefully enough that people weren't wondering why on earth I had a microphone.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Obrienp said:

My Mum made me have piano lessons: I wanted to play clarinet (it was the time of Stranger on the Shore). I hated it. Couldn’t get it. The piano teacher was called Mr Bassman: must have been a sign😀! He got so frustrated with me that he used to poke me in the ribs with his long bony fingers (probably be arrested these days). Anyway, my Mum eventually gave up and decided to save her money. I don’t know who begged more for the lessons to stop: me or Mr Bassman.

The experience completely put me off playing music until I was about 13, when a confluence of a friends guitar and hearing the Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc, persuaded me that maybe it was worth having a go. I still expect everything that goes wrong to be my fault and I drive my band mates crazy by constantly apologising for my perceived imperfections! 🤣

I mentioned it earlier. Its never your fault. That's why bands have drummers. 😂

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Angelus said:

Sorry, missed the reply Dave. Yes, they call it “The Live Livingroom”, but we went down a treat and he’s offered us more gigs. It is quite compact and bijou. 🤣 But great audience and when you take it for what it is, it’s just fun. Any gig I’m back in Lanark before the takeaway shuts, is classed as a good venue. 🤣

Friend plays drums with Jack, so will need to pop down and see them. 👍

Is that the very young drummer. ?

Played in a band years ago with Jack called George's Kitchen named after Jack's dog that he always left in kitchen when he was out. We've kept in touch since 80's. Incredible guitarist and a pure showman into the bargain hence his Zep band. 

I went to one of the jam sessions but it was too busy for me. Couldn't move anywhere. Its well attended and quite well organised for different bands.

Wee Ted should consider it as he's a legend in Wishaw.

Dave 

• Like 2

I wasn't sure where to post this - gig or rehearsal thread, but it's felt more like a gig than a rehearsal. I've spent the weekend at Stonegate Recording Studios near Bentham North Yorkshire. We set up Friday night, and have done 10-6 Saturday and Sunday. This is the new blues band, with only one 45 minute gig under our belt so far, and this was for recording a few tracks to promote the band. We have really gelled as a unit, personally and musically, and it's been a really positive experience. The band leader does his job well, directs with without being over-bearing, and is a consummate musician, playing Hammond, Rhodes and Sax,  and the drummer is one of the best I've ever played with, really exceptionally good. We managed to get down 6 tracks yesterday, without vocals and solos, which we've added today. We had a guy filming too yesterday, which we're hoping to sync with the recordings at some point. I took two 70's P basses and have played everything through my rebuilt '73 Bassman 50 and a Barefaced Super Compact, it was a great sound to me. When the tracks have been mastered I'll post some links up.

Knackered now though!

Rob

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Back at the Cow & Telescope in Southend-on-Sea on Friday. Our third time at this venue and by far my favourite place on the pub circuit. Always an appreciated crowd who turn up for the music. A decent night with a good turnout of our friends, family and followers. Unfortunately for us, we were told by the landlady that about 15 of the regulars (who wanted to see us) were up in London to see Slash and Myles Kennedy - I don’t blame them TBH, I’d rather watch Slash and Myles than us, lol.

We’re gradually getting used to the Allen & Heath desk, and it’s getting easier to dial in and tweak for every venue,. I had a slight issue with my IEMs - the cable came out of the right one halfway through the second set. It was so hot and sweaty in there I could grip the plug firm enough to push it back in, so I played the remainder of the set with one IEM and a glorified earplug. Oh well.

Our super sub Sophie did and fantastic job yet again and received lots of compliments. She blew our socks off on Proud Mary, she really went for it.

I had an interesting chat with one chap. One of my wife’s younger workmates introduced me to her new boyfriend before we started who is a drummer. Nice chap, and got a chance to chat with him after our first set. He was very impressed with our drummer, asking me who he is. I replied he’s a grade 8 qualified drummer who’s a full time drum teacher, played in a number of bands, including originals and previously a busy, touring a punk band.  The chap said, I’m a session drummer and he’s better than me.

He then asked who our bassist is as he’s pretty good as well I don’t think he could see me where he was sitting and didn’t realise it was actually me. I said, “that’s me, and thank you.  He told me one of his regular session gigs is playing with Samantha Fox, and what am I doing in a couple of months time as there’s a gig their regular bassist can’t do. I told me I’m not a session guy and I have a full-time day job so I’m not sure about that thing. He said, “Oh the songs are easy, and it'll be a case of fly into Lithuania on the Friday, gig Saturday and home again Sunday"!

I'm extremely flattered and we shared details, but I don't think I'll go for it if he does end up asking. Not only do I need to renew my passport, but I don't own any flight cases for my gear not to mention a massive dose of imposter syndrome and I don't think I'd be able to dedicate time to learning a batch of songs I've never heard of at very short notice - it's just not a skill I'm used to doing.

Still, it's nice to be asked.

Obligatory venue pics, including the tools for the night - the very unidentical twins.

IMG_0615.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 18

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that the very young drummer. ?

Played in a band years ago with Jack called George's Kitchen named after Jack's dog that he always left in kitchen when he was out. We've kept in touch since 80's. Incredible guitarist and a pure showman into the bargain hence his Zep band. 

I went to one of the jam sessions but it was too busy for me. Couldn't move anywhere. Its well attended and quite well organised for different bands.

Wee Ted should consider it as he's a legend in Wishaw.

Dave 

Ted’s playing in the livingroom on the 27th of April, if you’re looking for a wee trip out? 👍

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I'm extremely flattered and we shared details, but I don't think I'll go for it if he does end up asking. Not only do I need to renew my passport, but I don't own any flight cases for my gear not to mention a massive dose of imposter syndrome and I don't think I'd be able to dedicate time to learning a batch of songs I've never heard of at very short notice - it's just not a skill I'm used to doing.

Oh come on, how can you not do that? I have heard you play stuff many times harder than anything that she is going to be singing without error. It would be a crime if you didn't!

• Like 3

Played at the Half Moon in Littleover, Derby on Saturday. We were a bit worried about the load-in and out as it's double yellows on the street outside and the car park is over the road (and I think is actually the Co-op's). However, the landlady said everybody unloaded on the double yellows so that's what we did. Not an ideal playing space as there's a column 2/3 of the way across which was a bit in the way, but we overcame that. The landlady also gave us free drinks (which we took advantage of without taking the piss), and included Mrs Zero and the drummer's wife in the freebies, which was very nice.

On the musical side, I'd been experimenting with the XR12 and put some reverb on, but I couldn't get it dialled in right so abandoned it after a couple of numbers. At least I now know the basics of how to do it. One or two minor fumbles but nothing disastrous. Almost everything went down well - the one exception being Get Lucky which we brought in recently, but both times we've done it it's gone down like a plate of cold sick. I suspect that it's a song that's of its time.

Both the guitarists had a long way to travel (2 hours for one of them) but they were really happy with it. Landlady was happy with us so hopefully we'll be back there.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

You should do it - as has been said you'll regret it if you don't. And think of the thread you could start here. 😃

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Back at the Cow & Telescope in Southend-on-Sea on Friday. Our third time at this venue and by far my favourite place on the pub circuit. Always an appreciated crowd who turn up for the music. A decent night with a good turnout of our friends, family and followers. Unfortunately for us, we were told by the landlady that about 15 of the regulars (who wanted to see us) were up in London to see Slash and Myles Kennedy - I don’t blame them TBH, I’d rather watch Slash and Myles than us, lol.

We’re gradually getting used to the Allen & Heath desk, and it’s getting easier to dial in and tweak for every venue,. I had a slight issue with my IEMs - the cable came out of the right one halfway through the second set. It was so hot and sweaty in there I could grip the plug firm enough to push it back in, so I played the remainder of the set with one IEM and a glorified earplug. Oh well.

Our super sub Sophie did and fantastic job yet again and received lots of compliments. She blew our socks off on Proud Mary, she really went for it.

I had an interesting chat with one chap. One of my wife’s younger workmates introduced me to her new boyfriend before we started who is a drummer. Nice chap, and got a chance to chat with him after our first set. He was very impressed with our drummer, asking me who he is. I replied he’s a grade 8 qualified drummer who’s a full time drum teacher, played in a number of bands, including originals and previously a busy, touring a punk band.  The chap said, I’m a session drummer and he’s better than me.

He then asked who our bassist is as he’s pretty good as well I don’t think he could see me where he was sitting and didn’t realise it was actually me. I said, “that’s me, and thank you.  He told me one of his regular session gigs is playing with Samantha Fox, and what am I doing in a couple of months time as there’s a gig their regular bassist can’t do. I told me I’m not a session guy and I have a full-time day job so I’m not sure about that thing. He said, “Oh the songs are easy, and it'll be a case of fly into Lithuania on the Friday, gig Saturday and home again Sunday"!

Obligatory venue pics, including the tools for the night - the very unidentical twins.

IMG_0615.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

Appreciate it can be a bit daunting but as mentioned before its an opportunity of a lifetime plus it will get you noticed on the circuit a lot more than down the local pub.

I'd give it serious consideration.

As for learning the songs quickly you'll find once you start it will come quickly.

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I vote you go for it - if nothing else, it'll make a good story!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

IMG_0615.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

The G&L looks great (well the Jackson does too, but I'm a G&L fanboy).

FWIW if the main thing stopping you is learning the songs, I think you'll find 2 months is actually quite a long time (depending on how many songs you need to learn and how much other stuff you have on).  18 months or so ago I depped for a gig (not a pro one) with about 3 weeks notice.  The set list was 15 or 16 songs.  I'd played several of them on keys (IIRC), but I don't remember having played any of them on bass. 5 or 6 were originals that I'd never heard before.  I knew them all by the gig - but did have to cram.  I probably made up my own lines rather than trying to be true to originals other than for ones with instantly recognisable bass lines (e.g. Come Together).  I did a video diary on Instagram of how I prepped for the gig.  I have been meaning to put it together as a complete YouTube post as there isn't much resource available on how to prep at short notice for depping.  If you want to see the diary message me and I'll try to make it available (un-edited at this point).  I'm not trying to persuade you to do it, just sharing my (singular) experience in case you do decide to do it.   

Edit: having looked at the extremely popular post I did, (a grand total of zero replies- I'm guessing I didn't "win the day" with it 😊) I may have had less than 3 weeks (3 weeks is my recollection though) https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/471508-tips-for-deps-aka-subs-in-american/#comment-4851807

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Appreciate it can be a bit daunting but as mentioned before its an opportunity of a lifetime plus it will get you noticed on the circuit a lot more than down the local pub.

I'd give it serious consideration.

As for learning the songs quickly you'll find once you start it will come quickly.

Dave

I'll definitely give it serious consideration if the gig is offered. Whilst I'm not bothered about being "noticed" and I've done my fair share of higher-end, non-pub gigs, it's certainly something to put on the CV.

2 hours ago, Simon C said:

The G&L looks great (well the Jackson does too, but I'm a G&L fanboy)

I thought I'd attached that picture - I think it's quite an amusing pairing to behold, like David and Goliath.  The Jackson normally lived in a gigbag, but thought I'd make the stage look nicer with all the gear on display.

2 hours ago, Simon C said:

FWIW if the main thing stopping you is learning the songs, I think you'll find 2 months is actually quite a long time (depending on how many songs you need to learn and how much other stuff you have on).  18 months or so ago I depped for a gig (not a pro one) with about 3 weeks notice.  The set list was 15 or 16 songs.  I'd played several of them on keys (IIRC), but I don't remember having played any of them on bass. 5 or 6 were originals that I'd never heard before.  I knew them all by the gig - but did have to cram.  I probably made up my own lines rather than trying to be true to originals other than for ones with instantly recognisable bass lines (e.g. Come Together).  I did a video diary on Instagram of how I prepped for the gig.  I have been meaning to put it together as a complete YouTube post as there isn't much resource available on how to prep at short notice for depping.  If you want to see the diary message me and I'll try to make it available (un-edited at this point).  I'm not trying to persuade you to do it, just sharing my (singular) experience in case you do decide to do it. 

Perhaps I'm being too hard on myself - I'm finding imposter syndrome is getting stronger as I get older. As @Woodinblack (who knows me quite well) mentioned above, I'm no stranger to learning and pulling off fairly complex songs with a fairly short preparation time - I've done that many times for our UKMG meetups, and depped with the odd band. But admittedly, I'm better at learning stuff I'm familiar with several weeks' notice. I've heard of guys who'll dep at a couple of days notice or less, with unfamiliar material... that scares the crap out of me.  I have no idea how 'flygigs' work either. I guess the artist management would assist with all that.

I've found this setlist that gives me an idea of what could be required, however. There are a couple of covers that I'm already familiar with.

Oh well. We'll wait and see what happens. I guess it could be fun learning some of these songs as a self-improvement exercise anyway, even if it doesn't come to pass

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I'm no stranger to learning and pulling off fairly complex songs with a fairly short preparation time -

Probably going to be ok with "Touch Me" then, which is the only thing anyone knows :D

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Probably going to be ok with "Touch Me" then, which is the only thing anyone knows :D

I told the chap that's the only one I've ever heard off. Let's hope it 3 chords and steady eighths root notes.

Played a gig in my home town Saturday night so only a short drive home for me, started at 9pm, first set was great, had people up dancing, really looking like they're enjoying it, just as we were finishing most put coats on and left and the second set was very quiet in comparison, spoke to friends who play in other pub cover bands locally and they say its the way things are nowadays?

Weekend before we played in one of the 2 big cities locally and the pub was packed until 1am.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I'll definitely give it serious consideration if the gig is offered. Whilst I'm not bothered about being "noticed" and I've done my fair share of higher-end, non-pub gigs, it's certainly something to put on the CV.

I thought I'd attached that picture - I think it's quite an amusing pairing to behold, like David and Goliath.  The Jackson normally lived in a gigbag, but thought I'd make the stage look nicer with all the gear on display.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on myself - I'm finding imposter syndrome is getting stronger as I get older. As @Woodinblack (who knows me quite well) mentioned above, I'm no stranger to learning and pulling off fairly complex songs with a fairly short preparation time - I've done that many times for our UKMG meetups, and depped with the odd band. But admittedly, I'm better at learning stuff I'm familiar with several weeks' notice. I've heard of guys who'll dep at a couple of days notice or less, with unfamiliar material... that scares the crap out of me.  I have no idea how 'flygigs' work either. I guess the artist management would assist with all that.

I've found this setlist that gives me an idea of what could be required, however. There are a couple of covers that I'm already familiar with.

Oh well. We'll wait and see what happens. I guess it could be fun learning some of these songs as a self-improvement exercise anyway, even if it doesn't come to pass

Based on the ones I know, that looks like a fun set list.  We do "I only wanna be with you" - banging tune.