Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Another fun Jam Night at McCafferty’s in Epsom.  The drummer (Paul)  is a regular but it was the first time we’d played with him.  It was the first time the singer (Vicky) had been with us since May.  The 1 fingered salute was in the 1st song, so I assume it wasn’t aimed at us 😀. (It’s the 1st time I’ve used the Vimeo editor, so please excuse the rather uninspiring transitions and text).

And I do agree with @Cat Burrito a few pages back about musicians arriving late and disappearing early.  Apart from it not being supportive of fellow musicians, they are missing out on some cracking entertainment.

• Like 8

We (Fine Lines) played at the Leek Blues and Americana festival on Wednesday.

At first we were a little worried, as we hadn't heard anything about ticket sales and there didn't seem to be much advertising. There was also the looming threat of storm Edna, or whatever the current one is known as, so much of the pre-show conversation was taken up with speculation as to how many would show up.

As it turned out, our fears were misguided and we found a well full audience awaiting us. They were all seated at the front, with more standing at the back of the room (which wasn't a problem, as we don't usually get people dancing, unless they're really drunk).

I thought we played really well, although I'll admit to being somewhat biased and there was only one fleeting wrong note, which I managed to style out by looking bemused at the drummer.

The only downside was that there was a group of cared for adults on the front row, who wanted to engage in some vocal audience participation and commentary during the breaks between songs. We didn't realise this at the time, which led to an "interesting" bit of stage "banter", which went approximately as follows:

Person 1: "That's a really great sounding guitar"

Person 2: "What about the bass guitar?"

Person 1: "It's not bad"

Bass Player: "Fcuk off! This is an amazing bass! It sounds brilliant, maybe not when I play it, but still..."

Guitar player: "one, two, three, four.."

In my defence, I tried to be as jovial as possible and I didn't know the particular circumstances of the person I was "talking" to. Still, I do feel a bit of a git.

No photo's yet of us playing, but there is one of us at the chippy, which serves as a reminder to get a hair cut.

20230927_182719.jpg

IMG-20230928-WA0001.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Person 1: "That's a really great sounding guitar"

Person 2: "What about the bass guitar?"

Person 1: "It's not bad"

Bass Player: "Fcuk off! This is an amazing bass! It sounds brilliant, maybe not when I play it, but still..."

Guitar player: "one, two, three, four.."

In my defence, I tried to be as jovial as possible and I didn't know the particular circumstances of the person I was "talking" to. Still, I do feel a bit of a git.

I wouldn't worry. If they were too simple to parse your actual words they could have been quite chuffed that they got some forthright interaction all the same.

• Like 2

Hurtsfall have just been told that tonight's gig at the O2 Academy in Sheffield has been cancelled. The explanation we have been given is supposedly due to RAAC Concrete at the venue and all gigs have been postponed while investigations are carried out. However there is nothing on the venue's website about this. I smell BS from the promotor (HRH). Anyone have any definite info about the situation?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

We'd a booking for tomorrow night but venue asked if they could reschedule as they had the opportunity to host a wedding. They never gave us another date. Then an advert appears a few weeks ago for a Kenny Rogers tribute act same night.

That has really annoyed the heck out of me. 

We managed to get another booking tonight and its sold out within weeks of advertising. 1st venues loss but we wont revisit that particular venue.

Why can't people just be honest.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 9

9 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Hope things look up for you! We've three more this year then nothing until August so I feel your pain somewhat.

In a similar position with only 3 gigs for the rest of the year. We’ve had to cancel a few and turn down loads of bookings due to a member being unable to commit to more.

It’s a shame as I love playing and the extra cash is great. 

am desperately trying to find a second band or dep opportunities but not having much luck with that either.

Even the local jam night was cancelled last night :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bandeoke in Bristol last night. Wet night, bar staff said they'd been dead for the week - didn't auger well.

However we ended up fighting them off with the proverbial soiled stick.

The owner is talking about increasing our residency from monthly to fortnightly. I count this as a success.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Bandeoke in Bristol last night. Wet night, bar staff said they'd been dead for the week - didn't auger well.

However we ended up fighting them off with the proverbial soiled stick.

The owner is talking about increasing our residency from monthly to fortnightly. I count this as a success.

Excellent news indeed.

Dave

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markbunney said:

In a similar position with only 3 gigs for the rest of the year. We’ve had to cancel a few and turn down loads of bookings due to a member being unable to commit to more.

am desperately trying to find a second band or dep opportunities but not having much luck with that either.

I've basically scattergunned enquiries to every potential venue in and around Wakefield district, but only had a couple of tepid "maybe in the new year" responses. Haven't worked up the courage to try researching all possible venues in the big cities like Leeds and Bradford yet, but I suppose I'll have to before too long. We have a couple of regular haunts but they're only good for maybe half a dozen gigs a year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markbunney said:

I would be careful what you wish for regarding depping. I agreed to dep for a New Year’s Eve gig around the beginning of this year and forgot about it. In the meantime I have had a few gigs with the two bands I play in but not a huge number. We have had health issues in both.

Anyway, last week I got a set list for the New Year’s Eve gig. 42 songs, of which I have played 10 before. A handful are simple enough for me to be able to pickup the bass line on the first listen but the rest are going to take work. I have gigs coming up with both my existing bands and given we have not been able to practice for months, I have a bit of work to do there. What with booked holidays and a huge DIY backlog complied by the other half to get through, I think I am going to have my work cut out! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

I would be careful what you wish for regarding depping. I agreed to dep for a New Year’s Eve gig around the beginning of this year and forgot about it. In the meantime I have had a few gigs with the two bands I play in but not a huge number. We have had health issues in both.

Anyway, last week I got a set list for the New Year’s Eve gig. 42 songs, of which I have played 10 before. A handful are simple enough for me to be able to pickup the bass line on the first listen but the rest are going to take work. I have gigs coming up with both my existing bands and given we have not been able to practice for months, I have a bit of work to do there. What with booked holidays and a huge DIY backlog complied by the other half to get through, I think I am going to have my work cut out! 

You can do it. I had 43 songs to learn in 2 weeks, no rehearsals and half way thru they told me they played several songs in different keys. Back to square one with half the set. Had never played any of the songs before.

With my current punk covers band i had 3 weeks to learn approx 40 songs for a gig. Had 2 rehearsals and managed it all.

I am retired of course so that helped in both cases.

You have 3mths so make a start on the first 10 songs and just keep adding a few songs every week. You'll get there even if you need to take a few notes on stage appropriately hidden of course. :laugh1:

All the best with it

Dave 

• Like 6

I had thought I had a dep gigged lined up for a couple of months time. Id been messaging the band leader about the date, setlist and trying to arrange a rehearsal etc.

Its however gone radio silent since I broached the subject of the fee and told him how much Id like for it. Id asked for £100, to learn 30 songs for a private party which I didn't think was over the top, given I would normally get £75 from a pub gig round here, and so another £25 on top to learn to the songs didn't seem to bad!

He's now gone quiet! Id already learnt half the songs, so I am glad I checked before learning the rest!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, markbunney said:

I had thought I had a dep gigged lined up for a couple of months time. Id been messaging the band leader about the date, setlist and trying to arrange a rehearsal etc.

Its however gone radio silent since I broached the subject of the fee and told him how much Id like for it. Id asked for £100, to learn 30 songs for a private party which I didn't think was over the top, given I would normally get £75 from a pub gig round here, and so another £25 on top to learn to the songs didn't seem to bad!

He's now gone quiet! Id already learnt half the songs, so I am glad I checked before learning the rest!

Interesting nobody ever calls on me to dep. However, if anyone does and it requires learning a lot of songs I guess I would do it for $200.00. I'd expect to be paid more than the other permanent band members.

Blue

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

We'd a booking for tomorrow night but venue asked if they could reschedule as they had the opportunity to host a wedding. They never gave us another date. Then an advert appears a few weeks ago for a Kenny Rogers tribute act same night.

That has really annoyed the heck out of me. 

We managed to get another booking tonight and its sold out within weeks of advertising. 1st venues loss but we wont revisit that particular venue.

Why can't people just be honest.

Dave

That's really creepy Dave.

Those folks would would immediately go on my " Never engage in business with these people " list.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting nobody ever calls on me to dep. However, if anyone does and it requires learning a lot of songs I guess I would do it for $200.00. I'd expect to be paid more than the other permanent band members.

Blue

I haven’t actually broached the subject of money yet. I am assuming it is going to be good for a New Year’s Eve gig. It better be, because I think I am going to have to take my partner out for a very special dinner to make up for not being there. She didn’t seem bothered when I was first asked but she looked a bit unhappy when the reminder came in! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You can do it. I had 43 songs to learn in 2 weeks, no rehearsals and half way thru they told me they played several songs in different keys. Back to square one with half the set. Had never played any of the songs before.

With my current punk covers band i had 3 weeks to learn approx 40 songs for a gig. Had 2 rehearsals and managed it all.

I am retired of course so that helped in both cases.

You have 3mths so make a start on the first 10 songs and just keep adding a few songs every week. You'll get there even if you need to take a few notes on stage appropriately hidden of course. :laugh1:

All the best with it

Dave 

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I should be able to do it but I definitely don’t remember stuff as well as I used to. I think I will have to have chord sheets on my iPad just in case🤞.

• Like 2