Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, markbunney said:

The 77’s played in Maidstone again last night, this time at the Druids Arms in the town centre.

First time for us at this venue and it went pretty well. We were on a small stage in an outside courtyard, which was nice given the heat.

We played pretty well, and I got to use my new amp which sounded awesome (Darkglass Alpha Omega 500).

we managed to get the new digital mixer and powered speaker to working as well. The other three all used IEMs which they said worked well, I stuck with the wedge monitor which I couldn’t hear that well.

I would like to get IEMs as well, but will likely need to get some custom ones made, as I already have some hearing loss and tinnitus so need ones that have a good seal.

Next Saturday we are playing in Maidstone again, at the pub next door!!

4E5FB5C2-569E-4C37-B19C-24F1C4B1D450.jpeg

24B1A59B-4A7E-4675-909E-4B7D0F3C733A.jpeg

E94AF922-F1DE-472C-BCA3-474B5EBCBDFF.jpeg

Nice set up.👍

Blue

• Like 1

Last night saw the first gig of my new band, the (Dave) Jackson Five.  It was at a party in a shed, so we're not on the same level as some of you guys above just yet, but it was fun and we went down well.  Only our drummer has been a regular gigging stiff recently; the singer - Mr D. Jackson himself - has done the odd one here and there, but one guitarist and myself hadn't been onstage in fifteen years.  The other guitarist had never played live at all....  All in all it had the potential to go bad, but nothing like that happened, we had fun, went down well and got another booking out of it.

Oh yes, it was hot.  Mustn't forget that.

Before we went on there was the obligatory Ramones-esque line-up photoshoot:

image.thumb.png.c37cb36167b4b730d24d10a00637227f.png

And here's me looking like I'm not enjoying myself at all, although I really was!:

image.thumb.png.6e7381779b50e01b8c83d1ab10bdfd6d.png

• Like 17

Played the Royal British Legion Club in Watchet last night. Had to load in/out from 200yds away using 4-wheel flatbed trolley provided by the venue. Apart from that, it's a decent gig and last night's audience showed their appreciation in the usual way - by getting drunk and falling over 😊.

Re audiences, the trend we're noticing is that, despite allegedly being the best rock covers band in the county, we're playing to smaller crowds nowadays. Thankfully, while the audiences are going down, our money is going up - figure that one out!? Much less job satisfaction though.

No matter, as I had other "reasons to be cheerful". First, we nailed it. Second, this was my first gig with the Ampeg SVT-700 PRO recently bought from Basschat member Paul_S and I love it! Reason for buying is that it delivers 600W into a single 8Ohm cab. Works a treat with my FRFR Monaco cab manufactured by BC member Stevie's company LFSys and my custom bass built by BC member Andyjr1515.

LONG LIVE BASSCHAT!!

• Like 12

On 10/11/2007 at 18:55, beerdragon said:

Just got back from a gig. it was in a pub in a high street. when we got there the Landlord asked if we could keep it down as he has had complaints about the noise. we did a song as a sound check and had a few claps from the punters and the landlord said that was ok, first time i've had applause in a sound check http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/smile.png . as the night wore on and with windows and doors closed the volume crept up a bit (so did the heat) but no complaints from the landlord who gave us another half dozen dates for next year . not a bad night.

Excellent 👍

Blue

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Seriously guys invest in one or two of these.

Drummer has one and i have one blowing across the stage front. Planning to get another for other end of the stage (floor 😂) area

I got mine from Amazon but B&M and other stores do cheaper versions.

Dave

image.thumb.png.2330c24308caffe0a6040086db8c12ce.png

When I was a young guy fans didn't mean that much to me.

At 70 years old fans and covered stages for outside summer gigs are now a

" must have" requirement.

Looks like a great fan. 👍 

Blue

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Excellent days gigs with Clutching at Straws. Morning was cabling up for the evening gig. Then a set up in baking full sun at a community event in Elsea Park, Bourne. Really, really hot. Gallons of water and sunblock. Then charged off to Langtoft Lakes for the private party that I cabled up earlier. Superb gig, dance floor rammed. Left the house at 10:00, home at 00:45 for a much needed shower. Followed by hoovering everything out.. crawling with ants from the evening’s marquee gig. Three 18” fans on stage. Cool as cucumber. And fed and watered at both gigs

Fresh strings on the Dimension. Awesome, awesome bass sound. Really cranked the GK today, which they really like. Boost knob for the win!!

Nice gig,

I'm a GK guy. The boost and woofer knobs are super responsive. 

Blue

On 24/06/2023 at 06:15, Angelus said:

Catastrophe last night, cramp in my right forearm and my fingers folded into a fist. Very sore and stopped me from playing. All my own fault, completely dehydrated and gig prep’ was terrible. Woke up at a hotel in Fife, after a party on Thursday night. No sleep and didn’t make any effort to be ready. 🙄 Hadn’t happened to me since the 90’s and the older I get, the better I was. 🤣

I have to start preparing physically and mentally on Monday for a Saturday gig. Lol

Seriously everybody doing outside summer shows, STAY HYDRATED!

The band should have a cooler near the stage stocked with cold bottled water.

Blue

• Like 1

On 20/06/2023 at 14:47, Bluewine said:

THIS SATURDAY! Join Maple Road during Cedarburg's Strawberry Festival for an afternoon of outdoor live rockin’ blues at C. Wieslers! 3-6pm!

Blue

FB_IMG_1684715681061.jpg

Strawberry Fest is a huge awesome annual  event, thousands of attendees. 

We were at Weislers Restaurant  who provided an upscale tent. We had a very respectful size crowd. 

The band was on fire though I didn't think much of how I played. 😢 

Overall a good gig with a nice pay day.

Blue 

FB_IMG_1687610679514.jpg

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Last night saw the first gig of my new band, the (Dave) Jackson Five.  It was at a party in a shed, so we're not on the same level as some of you guys above just yet, but it was fun and we went down well.  Only our drummer has been a regular gigging stiff recently; the singer - Mr D. Jackson himself - has done the odd one here and there, but one guitarist and myself hadn't been onstage in fifteen years.  The other guitarist had never played live at all....  All in all it had the potential to go bad, but nothing like that happened, we had fun, went down well and got another booking out of it.

And here's me looking like I'm not enjoying myself at all, although I really was!:

Woah, proper serious "jazz" face there.. 😁

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Riverbassman65 said:

Had a fantastic gig at Full Circle in Watertown last night. It’s a club I’ve wanted to play for ages, and the classic rock band I’m in got booked there.  We had a fantastic crowd who danced from the 1 st song to the 2nd encore!  The stage and acoustics were 1st class!  To make it even better I received many compliments on my tone from other players!  I’ll post pictures once our guitar player sends them out!  Have a fantastic rest of your weekend! 

Would be good to know what gear you were using.

There seems to be a water based theme in your name and venues you play :laugh1:

Dave

43 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I have to start preparing physically and mentally on Monday for a Saturday gig. Lol

Seriously everybody doing outside summer shows, STAY HYDRATED!

The band should have a cooler near the stage stocked with cold bottled water.

Blue

Any water is good for you but Its better drinking room temp water or tap water temp, you can drink more than if chilled plus chilled water can induce sinus problems and sore throats.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

When I was a young guy fans didn't mean that much to me.

At 70 years old fans and covered stages for outside summer gigs are now a

" must have" requirement.

Looks like a great fan. 👍 

Blue

Smaller fans dont seem to do much for me but these larger 18" gym fans seem to produce cool air at decent volumes. Must be because of the size.

I'm never without it in warmer gigs these days. (our bands ages vary but up to 64)

Think when you're younger you don't bother too much about a bit of sweat. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Would be good to know what gear you were using.

There seems to be a water based theme in your name and venues you play :laugh1:

Dave

I was using my 1976 Fender Precision, my new Squire 40th Anniversary Precision through my smaller rig, Ampeg Portaflex into a Portaflex 410HLF cabinet.  It was massive! 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Riverbassman65 said:

I was using my 1976 Fender Precision, my new Squire 40th Anniversary Precision through my smaller rig, Ampeg Portaflex into a Portaflex 410HLF cabinet.  It was massive! 😉

Those Portaflex amps seem to be quite popular at the moment. Had a wee listen to the reviews on line and they sound pretty close to the SVT amps.

Had an SVT4 Pro but experienced so many issues with it i found myself dismissing Ampeg after that but looks like they've now got their quality control sorted.

Dave

Last night was a wedding celebration for about 150 in a massive marquee with a proper stage, out in the wilds of Wiltshire. We were well looked after with a place to change and a meal in the bride’s family’s house, and whatever we wanted to drink. I played my ‘73 Precision (recently fitted with rounds for the first time since I’ve owned it) through my Demeter head and BF Super Twin, and it sounded fantastic as you might expect. I finally got to set up my own IEM mix properly and that’s a game changer.

The crowd loved us, in fact the bride and groom barely got in a couple of steps of their first dance before just about everyone piled onto the dance floor.

I’m just about recovered now!

• Like 8

Was due to do a reasonably last minute replacement gig with my main band Saturday night but our drummer had a funny turn that morning (heat stroke / labarynthitis / who knows) so we had to blow out the gig at lunchtime as couldn't find a replacement drummer at the last minute ☹️ It was going to be my first with the IEM's so that will have to wait.

This weekend became:

• Friday night rehearsal with the prog covers band but pretty straightforward Floyd & Genesis songs so no great workout. The most involved was Roundabout and even that is pretty standard. Still first tinkers with the IEM's using my Zoom H6 as source on the line out to a Behringer headphone amp with an extra line from the DI on the Revolt Bass for dedicated bass and it seemed to work well. 
  • Sunday day rehearsal/ writing session with my very first band from 45 years ago. Spiky new wave originals that are still fun to play and keep me busy as a 3 piece bass/guitar/drum combo. Also we played together a lot back in the day and were a pretty tight unit and could catch the odd slip or just chuck in a different style (having originated a fresh faced 17 year olds in a country / 50/60/70's band playing WMC's with an older guitarist). Even now we can flip a song into a different style and work our way through with nods, winks & a look, which I love being able to do. Used the IEM's again same as Friday night and again it worked well
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

As 'bass faces' go that's actually a pretty poor effort! The aim is to look like the drummer just lost it in his shorts.

• Haha 3

Had two gigs with The ELO Experience this week, both at The Core Theatre in Solihull. Capacity

audiences on both nights, and great being able to just turn up on the 2nd night with all the gear

set up. Really sweltering onstage though, 2 big fans on full all night making it tolerable. Put a new 

set of strings on my bass last week, but they’re already sounding like they’ve been on for a couple

of months! Bit of a naff drive home due to ongoing roadworks on the M42 , but that’s pretty much

the norm these days. 
Last night I was playing at our regular gig in Scarborough ‘The Lookout’ with my acoustic duo.

Yet another diversion meant we got there a tad late, and the town was extra busy, due to the

hot weather and also Sting playing a gig at the open air theatre nearby to 6500 fans.

Luckily managed to get parked by the entrance to the gig, and got set up with time to spare,

narrowly avoiding a heavy flash storm. Had a great gig - loads of requests ranging from Louis

Armstrong to Santana. It’s my favourite venue, and we’re back there in 4 weeks time.

IMG_3222.jpeg

• Like 14

Played The Hope & Anchor in Islington yesterday with The Adjacent Kings; it was one of those punk lunch things that seem to be happening more and more frequently nowadays.

It's a really decent (basement) venue, far from the sh*thole it was pre-facelift.  If you are playing there, take your own gear if you can; basswise there's a very tired Ashdown combo available.

Happy to have run into @cheddatom who was playing drums for headliners, Headsticks.  While I saw their soundcheck and had a very brief chat, I didn't catch their set.  We'd literally finished, broke down our gear, went upstairs to try and cool down and our singer/designated driver was ready for the off as he had a 3 hour plus drive ahead of him.

[Edit]  Just as a side note, Spizz was on the bill as well.  You may remember him from his single Where's Captain Kirk?.  It seems we may be doing some dates with him in the Autumn off the back of this one, so all good.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 8