Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a club on the outskirts of Chesterfield Saturday night, nice place, well run and their own light system which is always a bonus as it reduces our setup/strip down time.  Club liked things a bit on the quiet side (though thankfully no db meter cutoff system) which made it a bit polite for the first half of the first set.  Things warmed up however and when the dance floor filled we upped the volume a bit; by the second set we were at our normal level.

Concert sec came into the change room at end of play and expressed appreciation and took our last available date for 2023.  So all in all 'job's a good un'.  Was home and watching Mick Ronson doc on Sky Arts with a Glenmorangie nightcap by 1:00am. 

• Like 10

17 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that a thing these days...........wearing hats on stage ? Come to think of it our drummer in the Glam band wears one now and again. Bay City Rollers Tartan of course. :hi:

Dave :laugh1:

Does this qualify....

4802D240-D5DE-4646-9C2D-47E95821CF71.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

My band* played at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool at the weekend.

Another of my favouritevenues, always think about standing on the

same stage that has graced The Beatles etc.

Crowd are great there too, we had around 1,800 in.

Had a good soundcheck, with top guy Sam on monitors getting

a good stage sound for me - used two monitors as it's such a large room,

which made for a loud but comfortable balance. Anyway, the gig went

okay, but only just - our singer Andy was struggling with a cold / flu kind

of thing and his voice was not as strong as usual. I tried my best

to cover some of his higher parts and we managed to get through it,

largely down to the crowd being so supportive.

We unfortunately couldn't do our gig in Stoke on Trent the following night

though, and have had to cancel Sunderland Empire theatre this Thursday too.

There's just nothing you can do when illness hits so hard, and we feel bad at having

to let our audiences down. Hopefully he'll be right for next week's gigs.

Our brill sound engineer Paul is a nifty bass player so we've been bringing basses

along to gigs to show each other. This week he brought a nice early 80's Tokai Jazz,

pictured below. Tried it out and it is really fine - good job it's a bit on the heavy side

for me or there would have to be a serious discussion to be had.

*The ELO Experience

331333000_1628868077584376_8349332802034294354_n.jpg

331922683_1194309277859813_61618594784327963_n.jpg

Paul's 80's Tokai Jazz.JPG

Edited by casapete
Update
  • Like 13

59 minutes ago, casapete said:

My band* played at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool at the weekend. Another of my favourite venues, always think about

standing on the same stage that has graced The Beatles etc. Crowd are great there too, we had around 1,800 in.

Had a good soundcheck, with top guy Sam on monitors getting a good stage sound for me - used two monitors

as it's such a large room, which made for a loud but comfortable balance. Anyway, the gig went okay, but only just -

our singer Andy was struggling with a cold / flu kind of thing and his voice was not as strong as usual. I tried my best

to cover some of his higher parts and we managed to get through it, largely down to the crowd being so supportive.

We unfortunately couldn't do our gig in Stoke on Trent the following night though, and have had to cancel Sunderland

Empire theatre this Thursday too. There's just nothing you can do when illness hits so hard, and we feel bad at having

to let our audiences down. Hopefully he'll be right for next week's gigs.

Our brill sound engineer Paul is a nifty bass player so we've been bringing basses along to gigs to show each other.

This week he brought a nice early 80's Tokai Jazz, pictured below. Tried it out and it is really fine - good job it's a 

bit on the heavy side for me or there would have to be a serious discussion to be had.

*The ELO Experience

331333000_1628868077584376_8349332802034294354_n.jpg

331922683_1194309277859813_61618594784327963_n.jpg

Paul's 80's Tokai Jazz.JPG

So you’re developing into a Kelly vocal-wise - but he would never have played a Jazz, would he?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

So you’re developing into a Kelly vocal-wise - but he would never have played a Jazz, would he?

I wish Mick! 

Think I've seen the odd pic of Kelly with a Precision (and even a Hofner violin bass!) but not a Jazz.

Top fella.

Wicked little gig at Pizza Express Live (Holborn) for the first “Nashville Meets London” gig of 2023.

A packed house, Katy’s fan base right at the front singing along to every word, great sound onstage, brilliant fun. Used the house Markbass CMD102P (I think?) and was pleasantly surprised. 

A few vocal bits for me to brush up on, plus my stage presence game was sorely lacking for some reason yesterday, but all in all a great fun evening 😎

11834F6D-6E6E-4095-817D-32A4DC91FC4C.jpeg.4d3349e6f9fb7c832e4e5f43094e096a.jpeg

https://www.katyhurt.com

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, Merton said:

Wicked little gig at Pizza Express Live (Holborn) for the first “Nashville Meets London” gig of 2023.

A packed house, Katy’s fan base right at the front singing along to every word, great sound onstage, brilliant fun. Used the house Markbass CMD102P (I think?) and was pleasantly surprised. 

A few vocal bits for me to brush up on, plus my stage presence game was sorely lacking for some reason yesterday, but all in all a great fun evening 😎

What bass are you using there @Merton ?

Might as well list your gear too, its always nice to know for us geeky types 😂

Dave

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

More gear pics especially the bass. The neck looks nice. LOL

Dave

3EC98DFB-F9C3-492C-8153-73F5257260FA.thumb.jpeg.36a1d2394b0df7ce2953ed137985937e.jpeg

That’s the only rig pic from last night I’m afraid. I’ll find the link to the original build thread 🤓

EDIT - build diary here

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Merton said:

3EC98DFB-F9C3-492C-8153-73F5257260FA.thumb.jpeg.36a1d2394b0df7ce2953ed137985937e.jpeg

That’s the only rig pic from last night I’m afraid. I’ll find the link to the original build thread 🤓

EDIT - build diary here

WOW that's stunning. Love the bound neck and MM style headstock. Very nice indeed.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merton said:

Stage presence. I'll look at a gig video and say ok don't move like that anymore or you're too close to the guitarist, don't wear tan pants, make sure you get back to the mic for your vocal part. It's all great value to me. Some guys will not watch their videos. I always learn something from them.

Blue

• Like 3

On 18/02/2023 at 07:06, cheddatom said:

Honestly I have nothing to do with that side of things so I have no idea! We're generally playing venues that are geared up for full bands, we just did the acoustic thing to give the fans something different, or at least that's what I was told when I begged for a floor tom :)

In my neck of the woods there's a lot more opportunities for acoustic acts, solo and duo.

Blue

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Finally back out there again.

Acoustic gig with "She's Right I'm Left"

Saturday 4/25

Reveres Restaurant

Delafield WI

*8:00 - 11:00

* This a late night for me. I won't get home until 1:30.

1654922069351~2.jpg

Are you wearing a flower in your hair in that pic Daryl :tatice_03:

Def something there. ?

Dave

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Stage presence. I'll look at a gig video and say ok don't move like that anymore or you're too close to the guitarist, don't wear tan pants, make sure you get back to the mic for your vocal part. It's all great value to me. Some guys will not watch their videos. I always learn something from them.

Blue

Absolutely agree - always things to learn! It was watching some videos which made me realise I got it quite wrong yesterday 🙃

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

Yup.....I always think I don't smile enough