Why become a member? ×

30th Birthday - Bass purchase/order to celebrate!

Musicman20

My vote would be on Sadowsky or Overwater. But i can't confess to playing all that many super J's, I just know these two have really stood out to me in the past.

Really though, I dont think you could (or should) be unhappy with anything in that price range. Get yourself down to the gallery at some point and have a tickle on them all!

[quote name='MythSte' post='761870' date='Mar 2 2010, 02:55 PM']My vote would be on Sadowsky or Overwater. But i can't confess to playing all that many super J's, I just know these two have really stood out to me in the past.

Really though, I dont think you could (or should) be unhappy with anything in that price range. Get yourself down to the gallery at some point and have a tickle on them all![/quote]

+1 I agree....its Sei/Overwater and very possible Sad USA (prob out of budget)...but if im honest, im attracted to getting a UK instrument that can be looked after by the manufacturer and setup every now and then. Not only that, you get 'more' for your money with a UK instrument.

My only problem is that Im nowhere near London and its a HELLISH journey from up here to London. It would have to be a fast rain otherwise I just wont have the time.

Ive got a few months to decide. Apparently Overwater isnt that far away....:)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='761880' date='Mar 2 2010, 03:08 PM']Apparently Overwater isnt that far away....:)[/quote]
About an hour and a half by train from Newcastle to Carlisle. Not a long distance, but a [i]lot[/i] of stops on the way. Car recommended.

Once you're over in Carlisle, it's not that much further up to Moffat and a visit to ACG, where Alan's collection of wood would probably blow your mind. :rolleyes:

Edited by BottomEndian

Sadowsky my friend.
There was a USA WILL LEE up here not long ago for just over £2k if I remember, now theres a nice bass, just couldn't muster the funds at the time. Stonking slim neck.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73218&hl=will+lee"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=will+lee[/url]

Edited by phsycoandy

I think my budget will only allow a second hand Sadowsky...plus shipping from the USA just involves more costs and stress if it has to have anything done to it.

Shame they dont have a UK 'port of call' so to speak.

Im leaning more towards a full UK built instrument.

Well I'd go straight to Jon Shuker, but then again I'm biased :)
From your list:
[quote name='Musicman20' post='760644' date='Mar 1 2010, 12:42 PM']So, my options so far are:
Overwater
Sei (if I can afford it)
Roscoe
Fender Custom Shop (again if I can afford it and if they actually make high end 5 stringers)
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H or HS (yep, these are well within budget....around £1300-£1400 new)
Lakland US (again if its within budget...Im guessing these are more)[/quote]
...there's no question, it's gotta be Sei or Overwater. Bearing in mind your geographical whereabouts, definitely Overwater. Their J basses are lovely.

[quote name='JTUK' post='760664' date='Mar 1 2010, 12:55 PM']Happy birthday in 4 days time Gareth,
You know what I am going to say....but I'll say it anyway.

Commision a Jazz5 from Sei, pick your core woods and finish and I think you'll go for paint.
East pre and Barts.
I also think you would prefer a dark wood board, so get that blocked and bound.

So, basically, a vintage vibe with a modern bite to the sound. If you are ever down my way, you can try mine.

Fine tuning stuff would be to run the pre off 18v which I think is better, which pups, soaps or singles looking design and the colour of hardware which should be chrome. Maybe a subtle flame or birdseye neck, not too OTT,
Side LEDS an option, but no one really uses them and I have no idea how long the battery is supposed to last anyway.

Forget the money, you'll not go too far over it, IMV[/quote]

From your description +1, but it's your call. I'm biased. :)

if it was me i'd have this purple beastie
[url="http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/gallery.html"]http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/gallery.html[/url]
obviously you'll be needing an extra string but i'm shure they'd be happy to oblige.
this bass is just gorgeous.
i'd sell my knackers to have one of these.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='761958' date='Mar 2 2010, 04:34 PM']Gareth, have you ever played one of these?

The last T-Bass I played at the factory blew away two of Mark King's KingBass Mk-II's. The T-Bass is a stunner :)[/quote]

Interesting! Not seen these before. Thanks

You got so much scope in that price range....Its the sort of price range where MOST.. of the top builders price there top of the line basses....even some of the hyper basses are in your price range second hand..Ken Smith, Celinder, Alleva, etc..

I personally would write a list of stuff you do love on a bass... and stuff that you dont like..then with that list wittle down what comes into line with what you want...Or if your going custom communicate this with the builder...

or the other way, is to go out and try as many different basses as possible..then with all that knowledge under your belt, take it from there.....Myself i would look at Nordstrand, Sei...Martin Peterson is a genius...

I think its great to name loads of amazing instrument makers, but you would be suprised at how many you dont like...there all very different..

Your welcome to try my Sei J5 if your ever down this way...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='763241' date='Mar 3 2010, 07:07 PM']You got so much scope in that price range....Its the sort of price range where MOST.. of the top builders price there top of the line basses....even some of the hyper basses are in your price range second hand..Ken Smith, Celinder, Alleva, etc..

I personally would write a list of stuff you do love on a bass... and stuff that you dont like..then with that list wittle down what comes into line with what you want...Or if your going custom communicate this with the builder...

or the other way, is to go out and try as many different basses as possible..then with all that knowledge under your belt, take it from there.....Myself i would look at Nordstrand, Sei...Martin Peterson is a genius...

I think its great to name loads of amazing instrument makers, but you would be suprised at how many you dont like...there all very different..

Your welcome to try my Sei J5 if your ever down this way...[/quote]

Hi!

Many thanks for the advice and offer. A list is a really good idea. I think I will start a checklist now.

Have you thought about a Zoot Funkmeister?

[url="http://www.zootbass.co.uk/2-3.html"]http://www.zootbass.co.uk/2-3.html[/url]

Plenty of options there

I'd read somewhere that Mike Walsh is now focussing more on his speaker cabs, but he might still build you a custom bass.

Not sure the contact details are right on that website, but the guys at Bass Merchant do know how to get hold of him.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='763485' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:10 PM']Then check out Talkbass for some extremely unhappy customers.[/quote]yeah seen this... but its not a dead cert that fclef has done any wrong...seems to me Fclef built the guy a bass.... the guy has changed his mind at the last minute on a bass he wanted to change the headstock on...and george (fclef) has kept his money...i could be wrong and would think twice about ordering a bass, but i havent read the latest on it. and its a matter thats not yet sorted on both sides....

[quote name='bubinga5' post='763496' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:22 PM']yeah seen this... but its not a dead cert that fclef has done any wrong...seems to me Fclef built the guy a bass.... the guy has changed his mind at the last minute on a bass he wanted to change the headstock on...and george (fclef) has kept his money...i could be wrong and would think twice about ordering a bass, but i havent read the latest on it. and its a matter thats not yet sorted on both sides....[/quote]
That's just the latest one, and yes it's not at all clear-cut. There have been a few previously, including one where George Traviani of F-Clef just gets hacked off and calls a TBer a moron. A brilliant way to alienate your customer base, I think.

EDIT: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413872"]Here it is[/url].

Edited by BottomEndian