Why become a member? ×

RIP forum user Jimmypreston

maddude16

Incredibly sad and tragic. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

[quote name='maddude16' post='743671' date='Feb 13 2010, 05:21 AM']RIP James Preston.

Sorry I couldn't make your life a better place for you in time man.[/quote]

From reading your post maddude you should, in no way feel sorry. You did what any friend could and much more than others. You should be proud that, unlike some others, you cast aside prejudice, became a true friend and can look back on a time of Jimmy's life you shared and be able to say ' that was good' (especially the Thin Lizzy cover).
This may not have made a lot of sense but hopefully you understand what I was trying to get at.

Take care
Rich

Very sad and my thoughts are with his family / friends. I do remember his posts. My brother is autistic and went through hell at school until he was moved to a Special School (this was pre-Rain Man when people really didn't understand Autism). Some people don't appreciate what is funny for them is hell for others.

[quote name='Cairobill' post='744226' date='Feb 13 2010, 07:01 PM']It's sad that someone on this board would have pm'd him for amusement. Quite twisted and, in the light of the tragic outcome, an object lesson in the need for empathy...playground abuse is grim stuff for the recipient.

Poor bloke RIP[/quote]

When he first posted his introduction I stupidly thought it was a wind-up. I replied with a joke, and then quickly realised my error. I'm truly sorry about that and apologise profusely. I have to say, I didn't know he'd been mocked in PMs.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='744245' date='Feb 13 2010, 07:20 PM']When he first posted his introduction I stupidly thought it was a wind-up. I replied with a joke, and then quickly realised my error. I'm truly sorry about that and apologise profusely. I have to say, I didn't know he'd been mocked in PMs.[/quote]
It's a mistake anyone could have made.

I know the Main focus here is the Tragedy here and may James Preston, Rest. In. Peace.

I have several Dyslexic friends and they get abuse for the most pointless reasons, and i can on some level relate as English isn't my first language (And Firefox spell check really helps!)

Anyone who gave him abuse should be ashamed.

But i would like to Thank on others behalf The Basschat Communities Friendliness on this thread but in general.

Condolences to the Family and friends, i'm sorry for the loss, and if it was Suicide... may his thoughts be still (a vague translation of Malay phrase)

RIP

My Thoughts and condolences.
Adam Castle

This is really sad. My dad is dyslexic and he had to re-sit year 6 b/c of it. As has already been said, it must be a terrible condition to have in this age of written communication. I mean my handwriting is terrible but at least that doesn't matter when i'm on a computer, and not just that either but reading too. I simply can't imagine my life without being able to actually enjoy reading. Sadly, some people just don't understand how others feel and they will do it for kicks, they probaby never thought that he would actually do something like this (well i hope they didn't, from some of the things i've seen people say to others over the internet you can't be sure if some people really think others deserve to die for being different). Life is what you make of it and unforturnately when you get into that state of depression it's very difficult to get out of it again. It's always the best people who think they're the worst sadly. Well anyway MHDSRIP and sorry to hear about your loss but you should be lucky to have known him at all as i always say.

Edited by EdwardHimself

So sad reading this, as the guys have said in the previous posts, my thoughts are with his family.

My brother in law is dyslexic and is a mechanic and has struggles at work as he works at a Vauxhall dealer and it's all fairly computerised compared to when he first started in the 80's.

Also a guy I know has quite a bad stutter and very similar to Jimmy he sings with no problem and is now the frontman for a local covers band, the human brain is definitely a strange beast.

it wasn't his dyslexia that mainly got him bullied, it was his severe stutter. here's an example of a sentence

I I I I'm g going to t t the shops s ssss. bless him! I do think he had an undiagnosed condition. He was as timid as a mouse until he got on stage. He wouldn't even go to the bar in the pub to get a drink! (perhaps that was an excuse for me to pay haha)

I've been talking to his sister again, and the family said flowers are welcome. I've already contacted a florist (I don't know if you knew but he worked part time in a florist I'm sure he mentioned this in a post!) so basically I'll get them when I'm over there.

It would be nice (although I'm not being rude and demanding) if perhaps forum users would donate a few pounds each for a small bunch? I'll make sure I personally write the name of every donor on the card, and even a message from you if you want me to. For 3 quid you can't get much....packet of smokes, few sweets, and it cannot go to a better cause than this....a fallen fellow bassist.

Id you would like to donate, please PM me. However please only PM me if you are genuine about donating and not deciding half hour later you want the money back.

Thanks, and thanks all who've given condolences to him, they're all being passed onto the family

My best mate in school had a really bad stutter also. We kinda took the mick out of him for it when he told a joke. It took 10 minutes to get to the punch line. He knew we meant in jest though, but sadly there were people who didnt mean it that way. This has reminded me to get in touch with him again. I just found out his fiance died of cancer last week, Im pretty sure he could do with a friend right now too.

I definately want to give something. Ill send a PM later.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='744245' date='Feb 13 2010, 07:20 PM']When he first posted his introduction I stupidly thought it was a wind-up. I replied with a joke, and then quickly realised my error. I'm truly sorry about that and apologise profusely. I have to say, I didn't know he'd been mocked in PMs.[/quote]

That was open forum banter which was obviously not nasty - however, he mentioned in one of his emails that someone had been pm'ing him which struck me as a bit weird, that's all...

sad, sad news indeed. my condolences to his family and indeed his friends. I never came into contact, nor admittedly was even aware of his presence on the forum, but death in one so young for something as minor as petty bullying is very upsetting indeed.

Looking at his post history it becomes apparent who one of the mocking forum members the op speaks of was, pray they forgive themselves and hope to not find themselves in such a situation.

RIP

had a couple of pm's about donations already. it brings tears to my eyes that since he didn't have the best life, we can give the absolutely best sendoff.

i forgot to mention earlier he's being sent to the other side with his bass if you get me, thats how much he loved his music! i suppose it gave him a chance to make a lot of noise and not going out. on my old phone (which i cant seem to find!?!?) i have a video of him funking it out. it's only about 30 seconds long but you can see how much progression he was making.

i would like to thank the one person who has donated and the other couple who have asked to donate in advance. i dont want to name anybody. thankyou, it really does give me hope in this what i feel sometimes is a cruel, greedy, dog eat dog world.

This is awful news. I'm so sorry. I remember commenting on Jimmy's thread regarding my experiences of my wife's dyslexia, and being very struck by the frustration he felt. It is very sad if something like that overshadows the other more fundamental aspects of an individual. So with that in mind, a sad goodbye to our fellow musician and basschat community member, and heartfelt condolences to Jimmy's family.

maddude16,

Please do let Jimmy's family know about this thread and basschat, where he was equal among friends and will be missed. Might help them in knowing that he did have friends here and was welcomed into this community, even if the outside world was less welcoming. I'm sure they will take some comfort in knowing that.