Why become a member? ×

Jazz or P bass?

gregsguitars

There's other choices!

Roscoe Beck sig
Stu Hamm Urge (1 or2)
Precision Deluxe
Mark Hoppus sig

They're all different permutations of the 2 main Fender bass recipes, which deliver differtent sounds and feels accordingly...
If I can't have them, I'll have my 2004 Ash-bodied MIA s1 Jazz in Translucent Sunset Orange, thanks!!

I only tried a jazz once (albeit a Squier Vintage Mod) and it was quite nice, the tone wasn't too shoddy but it didn't feel substantial. The Fender P-bass I've got just feels right. Sometimes the neck feels just right, sometimes a bit thick if I'm playing complex stuff but I love it, nonetheless.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='732351' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:39 PM']There's other choices!

Roscoe Beck sig
Stu Hamm Urge (1 or2)
Precision Deluxe
Mark Hoppus sig

They're all different permutations of the 2 main Fender bass recipes, which deliver differtent sounds and feels accordingly...
If I can't have them, I'll have my 2004 Ash-bodied MIA s1 Jazz in Translucent Sunset Orange, thanks!![/quote]

I´ve got the two last ones you mentioned above and I love them.
That is, if you mean American Precision Deluxe.
The P Deluxe is probably one of the most versatille basses around! The mm type pup in the bridgre really gives it an extra bit of muscle and solo´d does a weirdly good Jazz sound too.
And I´m not going to start talking about the Hoppus AGAIN :)

I also have a modded 78 P with active EMGs in (PJ pup config) and am debating whether of not to restore it to a proper P.
I already have a 78 100%orig and immaculate, so maybe I´ll leave it-it does sound great!
The Precision Lyte does a great job of being a PJ-doesn´t sound 100% like either on its own, but with both pups on, it sounds fantastic and all in a very lightweight package.

Can´t P all Jazz get long? :rolleyes:

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='obbm' post='731777' date='Feb 1 2010, 02:51 PM']When I started into music there was only the Precision and it was the photo of Jet Harris's P on the cover of The Shadows first album that made a deep impression.

The P shape is the archetypal bass shape. When I eventually could afford one though I found that the neck was too wide for my small hands so I changed to a Jazz. Just love that growl. The solution has been a Precision body, Jazz neck with PJ pick-ups. Deep growl and ticks all the boxes. Oh but it's not a Fender, its a Lakland.[/quote]

Dave, ive just got another Duck Dunn and am thinking of putting a Jazz pup in at the neck.
It came with a Lakland pup but ive put a Fralin in it as this is the way it should be IMHO.
Can i ask what pup you have at the neck?

Ive always liked P's but did own a jazz up until very recently. I never really got on with the Jazz tone as i play with a pick and didnt like how it sounded with both pups on. I love the necks and body shape though. I struggled with P necks, even though ive had a couple of 5 string basses that i had no trouble playing.
I think back then i was always trying to get the jazz to sound like a P and it didnt work.

Ive recently had to play my Jazz again for a few gigs and really got in to it this time, mainly for the tones i never really used before. Something about that growl that i just cant get on my P bass and one day i will own another Jazz but for now a PJ looks more likely.

The Squier P bass specials with the additional bridge jazz PU are definitely worth checking out, excellent value for money. Played mine at a jam last weekend and a self confessed Jamerson fan told me how good a Motown thump I was getting from it. If the house was on fire I'd probably still grab my US jazz first though...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='733805' date='Feb 3 2010, 10:01 AM']Dave, ive just got another Duck Dunn and am thinking of putting a Jazz pup in at the neck.
It came with a Lakland pup but ive put a Fralin in it as this is the way it should be IMHO.
Can i ask what pup you have at the neck?[/quote]

I bought a Lindy Fralin split coil set of P and J from Angela Instruments however the bridge J split coil is available on its own.

[url="http://angela.com/lindyfralinsplitcoilbridgepositionpickupforfenderjazzbass.aspx"]http://angela.com/lindyfralinsplitcoilbrid...erjazzbass.aspx[/url]

They have similar outputs and as they are both split coil there is no hum or interference.

To complement them I built a pair of stack knob 250K/250K pots so each pick-up has its own volume/tone control and they both fit into the two existing holes in the scratch plate. The capacitor values are the same as the original '61 stack Knob jazz.

[quote name='obbm' post='733871' date='Feb 3 2010, 11:05 AM']I bought a Lindy Fralin split coil set of P and J from Angela Instruments however the bridge J split coil is available on its own.

[url="http://angela.com/lindyfralinsplitcoilbridgepositionpickupforfenderjazzbass.aspx"]http://angela.com/lindyfralinsplitcoilbrid...erjazzbass.aspx[/url]

They have similar outputs and as they are both split coil there is no hum or interference.

To complement them I built a pair of stack knob 250K/250K pots so each pick-up has its own volume/tone control and they both fit into the two existing holes in the scratch plate. The capacitor values are the same as the original '61 stack Knob jazz.[/quote]

Thanks Dave. That sounds perfect.
Ill be getting the Galley to do the work as while im ok putting the pup in i cant do the routing. when i got my DJ5 done i had the bridge pup put on a push/pull knob as i was told this would work better for the neck pup by taking the bridge pup out of circuit, but to be honest, i couldn't hear a difference. I MIGHT go for a selector switch though, like a Gibson.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic.

Edited by dave_bass5

I can weld anything to anything, but the four finger fret has me beat. (only been playing 2 months) I have small girlie hands so the P bass feels a bit big for me, so i am getting a J bass copy to try it out, see if its any easier to play for me.

PS: If i had the cash i'd buy a new Fender Aerodyne™ Jazz Bass, like the one Duff McKagan from guns n roses uses. (pictured below) Yes i know they're only £600, but thats six hundred brick i dont have. Yes I am a poverty stricken northern monkey. :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='734022' date='Feb 3 2010, 01:32 PM']I can weld anything to anything, but the four finger fret has me beat. (only been playing 2 months) I have small girlie hands so the P bass feels a bit big for me, so i am getting a J bass copy to try it out, see if its any easier to play for me.[/quote]

Ive got long piano players fingers but i still find a P neck too wide. I can play them but prefer not to.

It might be more the string spacing rather than the neck width as i find 5 string basses fine and those necks are wider.

For me a nut width of 1.5 - 1.65 is good.

I sold my last jazz bass, currently loving my P, but id buy another jazz bass tomorrow if one came up nearby, then I would walk around in circles wondering which one to take out each time

Impossible question for me today

Edited by lojo