Why become a member? ×

Basses or bass playing or both

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='731462' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:02 AM']One of my twitches comes when people say things like 'I like the sound of a Jazz ovber a Precision'. I have no idea what the difference is.[/quote]
Obviously Mr Fender was waisting his time or trying rip his customers of then. :rolleyes: :)

I think it looks like most people see themselves as equally enthusiastic about both - and I'd include myself there.

It's interesting - for about the first 25 years of my bass playing life I'd owned a total of 7 basses, and for 16 of those used just 3 - two fretted 4s & a fretless. It's only in the last 5 or 6 years that I've developed much more of an interest in the actual hardware than previously, and because my area of interest (predominantly vintage JapCrap) is very affordable I now have more basses than is in any way reasonable. Unless you're a bass shop. :) I'd also say that I've immersed myself in playing much more seriously than before & my technique - and also the desire to play for playing's sake - has increased & improved hugely.

Like 4000 though, I am predominantly a writer and my band exists to play the music I compose. I never, ever buy a bass without a view to using it live, and therefore on that level the music validates the gear-hoarding - to me, at least. If for whatever reason I permanently stopped gigging, I think I'd probably want to get rid of most of my basses - having all these redundant tools sitting around would be depressing.

I've always been a very hands-on bodger and my gear fixation has developed my guitar tech skills immensely. Most of the vintage JapCrap which comes my way is in a very sorry state & I get a huge amount of satisfaction from making a playable & (to some) attractive instrument out of what comes to me as a dilapidated piece of junk. Over the last few years I've bought & sold a ridiculous amount of instruments - mostly skinny-string guitars - and learned a vast amount about what is a pretty mysterious area of guitar-manufacturing history.

Jon.

I've come into bass playing late in life and I'm enjoying the whole aspect of it,from learning to do new excersises on the instrument thus consolidating the building blocks that will enable me to reach a degree of competence on the instrument to the looking and sometimes indulging in new(old)equipment.
I love old stuff but cant afford the old P's and J's that were around when I was a youngster but I've got a couple of nice sounding guitars that I really enjoy playing.
My latest equipment fetish is to make a retro looking valve combo after the style of the fender TV series.
So its a bit of both for me.

[quote name='Marvin' post='731498' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:43 AM']Obviously Mr Fender was waisting his time or trying rip his customers of then. :lol: :)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

My needs and desires grow and change all the time, most people aren't static. I also love the way basses look and if I see a bass I think looks beautiful, or cool, or whatever, I want it. If I want it badly enough I'll sell another bass to raise the cash, even if that bass is dear to me. That's led to some mistakes, but I love my current crop, even the Corvette $$ I am desperately trying to sell. I don't get that attached to them though, I like change. Mind you, the Wilkins Jazz will probably be hanging around for a long time, best sounding, playing and looking bass I've ever owned, and I bought it on a whim.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='731462' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:02 AM']Its got to be the music. Without that, the basses are just planks of wood with wires attached. I have long thought that some people are so into the gear and messing about with it that they forget to get good at playing it. I acknowledge it is important to invest time and effort in ensuring that your gear is of appropriate professional quality but, after that, its hair splittin' :). One of my twitches comes when people say things like 'I like the sound of a Jazz ovber a Precision'. I have no idea what the difference is. Or a graphite nut over a wooden one. Or pick-up configurations. Or woods. I pick up a bass and see if it sounds subjectively 'good' and play on. If it doesn't, I look for another one. But I have only played around 10 basses in my life and all but two were perfectly satisfactory.

I guess that's why noone has heard of me :rolleyes::lol:[/quote]

Kind of with you on most of that. I don't really understand most of what is discussed about the gear talked about. I just (only just) know how to play and get a decent enough tone that people ask me to play for them....still don't quite know why sometimes.

Prior to joining the forum in Sept last year, I seemed quite content with a couple of £400 basses and an old Yorkville rig. 2 years earlier I had the good fortune to have enough local work to go full time. Everything was fine, I loved playing, recording, practising, rehearsing and working with other musicians. It was definately solely about the playing.

Then I discovered the "for sale" section, realised what others were playing and had a massive bout of insecurity, comparing my gear to others. And so began the frantic GAS! I've had 5 months of constant swapping/buying/selling to try and.....well I don't know what 've been trying to do really. :lol:

Anyway, I've gone back to my 2 basses that work, an amp that is reliable and concentrate on being a decent enough player that I can pay the bills whilst doing a job that I absoloutely love.
Maybe if I had a windfall, I'd look at a "Woodfoderapentafellow", but I'm not sure if I'd notice the difference, wouldn't make me a better player, or am I missing the point?

[quote name='Sibob' post='731483' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:30 AM']Bilbo, it's almost like you're suggesting that a person who enjoys 'gear', generally won't be a good player!?
I can imagine you on a session:
"I bought my Wal and my Jazz bass"....."oh have you got a Precision, the producer wants a precision?"....."naa I'll just use the Jazz, it's the same"....."PINO??"
lol, I jest of course.[/quote]

Not sure what I mean. I guess I am saying that liking and enjoying gear is ok as long as it DOESN'T overtake the music in importance. For me, its like the pleasure of owning a book for its binding and not for what it contains. By all means enjoy the artifact but not at the expense of the art.

As for that conversation at a session: if they call me, its for me, not my bass(es). If they want generic Fender Jazz/Precision sound then they should call someone who has a clue what the difference is!! :) :rolleyes: In 30 years of playing (this year), I have only ever had one MD who wanted something that specific (a low B in his case) and, to be blunt, he didn't really have a legitimate reason for it. I guess there are producers out there who can tell the difference but I can't see too many of them splitting hairs over a '57 or a '72. And not many of them are woirking in Suffolk anyway :lol:

One of the things that a lot of people may not be aware of is how many jazz double bass players travel the world on tours without basses, picking up a new instrument in each city. And they mostly still sound like themselves. Hell, what do I know. I'm a Probation Officer.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731504' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:48 AM']I've always been a very hands-on bodger and my gear fixation has developed my guitar tech skills immensely. Most of the vintage JapCrap which comes my way is in a very sorry state & I get a huge amount of satisfaction from making a playable & (to some) attractive instrument out of what comes to me as a dilapidated piece of junk. Over the last few years I've bought & sold a ridiculous amount of instruments - mostly skinny-string guitars - and learned a vast amount about what is a pretty mysterious area of guitar-manufacturing history.

Jon.[/quote]
I used to do a lot of that. it's so much fun! I used to swear by Squiers at one point, but I'm doing a lot more pro band work now so quality tone and build, and reliabilty are really important to me.

I'm so not a "one bass forever" type, to me it's more than just the music, gear trading is all part of it for me.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='731527' date='Feb 1 2010, 12:02 PM']Not sure what I mean. I guess I am saying that liking and enjoying gear is ok as long as it DOESN'T overtake the music in importance. For me, its like the pleasure of owning a book for its binding and not for what it contains. By all means enjoy the artifact but not at the expense of the art.

As for that conversation at a session: if they call me, its for me, not my bass(es). If they want generic Fender Jazz/Precision sound then they should call someone who has a clue what the difference is!! :rolleyes: :lol: In 30 years of playing (this year), I have only ever had one MD who wanted something that specific (a low B in his case) and, to be blunt, he didn't really have a legitimate reason for it. I guess there are producers out there who can tell the difference but I can't see too many of them splitting hairs over a '57 or a '72. And not many of them are woirking in Suffolk anyway :lol:

One of the things that a lot of people may not be aware of is how many jazz double bass players travel the world on tours without basses, picking up a new instrument in each city. And they mostly still sound like themselves. Hell, what do I know. I'm a Probation Officer.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, you feel the same way about your Wal as I do about my Jazz, and yes my session scene was very tongue-in-cheek, but I too have done deps/sessions where the producer/band leader has asked for something specific (a 5er for a gig, and a Precision for a session). Why would I argue with him? If he thinks he knows what he wants, and I can do the job on a bass that I enjoy, then it's a win/win. True enough that most situations are happy to have you come in and use whatever bass you want as long as it's appropriate, but there's nothing wrong with having a small selection ready and waiting.
Oh and your Wal is like a Fodera compared to my fenders....price wise haha :lol:

And do Jazz db players travel without their bass of choice through choice or necessity. I can't imagine many players going "naaa, save the tour budget that's been set aside for instrument transport, I'll use whatever Stentor they got going"....truth be told, I think it's probably more to do with the lack of said budget! :)

Si

I've bought a fair bit over the last few years but I've played them all a fair bit more. I've also noticed the threads tend to be more on gear than on playing. I had two basses for 15yrs before I started going on Bass sites. My argument is I play a lot though. My gear gets used.

As long as my gear does what I need I'm more interested in playing. I've actually got 5 basses at the moment, but each one brought something else to the table at the time. To be honest I only really use two of these regularly, a 5 string 34" fretless and a 4 string 32" fretted, regularly, plus the 32" 'compact' (Westone Quantum) for lugging round hotels.

Ideally I'd have one 32" 5 string fretted and one 32" five string fretless of a reasonable quality, and a 4 or 5 string 32" 'cricket bat' style for lugging round hotels.

I don't understand why liking gear has to be at the expense of focusing on the music. One of the things I usd to love about vinyl LPs in the 70s was the stuff they came with,; great artwork, fold out covers, posters, stickers etc etc (Floyd spring to mind). Yes, the most important thing was ultimately the music, but the rest of it enhanced the experience and served to set the mood, if you wish. Why can't you have both?

I don't think anyone is saying you can't HAVE them, its more a case of some of us not being ABLE to have them. Our differences are not aesthetic but economic. If I could afford a Fodera, I would have one. In truth, I could afford one but only if a LOT of other things go by the wayside and I am not convinced that the extra benefits of a Fodera would justify the expense as it relates to MY circumstances at this time. If money was no object, I would have one in a shot.

And I prefered LP covers too. I actually don't read cd covers because they are mostly too hard to read (print is too small). And cover art on a 5"x5" square lacks something!

I've only got one bass really , a warwick streamer lx and a crappy encore p copy as emergency back up. I'd love to go out and buy an arsenal of basses but I simply cannot afford to. I have decided therefore to spend my money on a few lessons and trying to improve a bit. However if I suddenly found myself flush with cash then I wouldn't hesitate. If Marcus miller,billy sheehan,stu hamm et al only had a squier you'd still be impressed !!!

cheers

Al.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='732903' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:29 PM']I don't think anyone is saying you can't HAVE them, its more a case of some of us not being ABLE to have them. Our differences are not aesthetic but economic. If I could afford a Fodera, I would have one. In truth, I could afford one but only if a LOT of other things go by the wayside and I am not convinced that the extra benefits of a Fodera would justify the expense as it relates to MY circumstances at this time. If money was no object, I would have one in a shot.

And I prefered LP covers too. I actually don't read cd covers because they are mostly too hard to read (print is too small). And cover art on a 5"x5" square lacks something![/quote]

As you say, it can also be about whether you choose to be able to afford something like a Fodera. Ok, some people will never be able to afford one given low (if any) wages, heavy commitments etc, but some of us who actually could afford one - maybe at a real push, as per your example - just can't/won't justify the expense. However I used that argument on myself for 20-odd years; I can't afford a custom Alembic. Then I hit 40, thought "well at this rate I may be dead before I ever get to own one", weighed it up against the fact that most people own a car (I don't) which would cost at least as much, and went for it. I had to sell 2 other basses (one my Alembic SC Deluxe which I got for a bargain price, 1 a Rick 8 string) and it still took me roughly 3 years to pay off, but I wanted one enough to make that worthwhile. The ironic part is if I'd got it years before when my back was up to it I'd have been able to gig it in anger and I'd also probably have saved over its cost on basses which I bought working my way up. I would now love another custom Alembic (a smaller, lighter one!) but I now can't afford it, or certainly can't justify it. To afford it I'd have to sell the 3 basses I have left (2 vintage Ricks and a Sei) and I just don't think I'm prepared to do that, even though it would undoubtedly be a staggering bass. Without letting my '72 go I'd have no chance, and my '72 will have to be prised from my cold, dead hands!

I know what you mean about cd covers. My close vision is excellent (unlike my distance!) but I just can't be bothered. The art always suffers and I hate the fact the inserts are often printed on really poor quality paper and appear a real afterthought. Oh, and where are my posters and stickers?! :) Ah, the joy of opening Wish You Were Here for the first time, tearing my way through the black plastic.... :rolleyes:

Slightly different angle....it's all win, win, win for me.

I love the bass itself as I'm a funk boy at heart and love my toys, but also I'm an engineer and simply love the strictly functional look of them, the build of them and just how incredibly affordable they are for the amount of time and fun I can extract

...for example, someone gave me a Nevada 4 string last night, I think he paid £80 new for it 1 year ago, it's a P bass cosmetic Fender clone....but it works, sounds fine, it can handle Rio by Duran Duran and all for less than a night at the Indian for 4....it will last years....my other hobbies, my Corvette Stingray, my enduro race bike all cost £1,000's....I last drove the Vet 3 weeks ago for the 1st time in 2 months, the bike hasn't been ridden since November 2009!

My Squier and Yam' get played before I go to work, and when I get home , mostly every day....so I love the playing too....

I love the music, but now I have a bass, this bass is now an 'music enjoyment multiplier' in office speak......learning the bass has made feel quite humble as regards the talent of pretty boy musicians from the 70' and 80's et al, and how music is 'built' and now I can't listen to anything without thinking about the bassline....I was at my mechanics yesterday collecting a Jag'.... Upside Down by Diana Ross comes on the radio and I tell the boys it's the Chic player Bernard Edwards on bass, most likely playing a Stingray 4 string, and the bassline is THE song...now I'm a music/bass geek!