Why become a member? ×

Right Then, Here Goes....

Hot Tub

So, after posting [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=52797&view=findpost&p=524206"]this[/url] a while back, I've finally taken the plunge and will be playing live for the first time ever.

Tomorrow night we're having a party for Mrs HT's 40th birthday. She always said that the one thing she wanted was to see me play with a "real" band, rather than an MP3 player! It's in our local pub, there will be 50-60 friends & colleagues there, plus quite a few locals. The band (the guitarist is a mate) have agreed to let me stand in on bass for a few songs. We're doing [i]Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Let's Stick Together, Smokin' In The Boys Room[/i], and [i]Sweet Home Alabama[/i]. I've played all of these for decades, but for the last four weeks they are ALL I've played (I can actually play [i]Crazy Little Thing[/i] backwards).

So, my question is simply this: How do you get over the nerves? I am absolutely [u][i]SHTING [/i][/u]myself, and if I'm honest, I really don't want to do it. I know I'm gonna miss a string, or fluff a change (I mean, FFS, you don't get much simpler than these songs!), or just generally have a train wreck. But, I also know that if I don't do it I probably never will, and I will continue to kick myself for the rest of my life.

How to approach it? What to think? What to feel? What's gonna happen? What if I make a t!t of myself, or worse? I can't practise any more, although I'll probably have another dozen or so run-throughs tomorrow morning.

Should I do it? Should I back out?

I should probably add that I'm not drinking tonight. I want a totally clear head tomorrow.

:)

Yeah dont even think about it, there are hundreds of thousands of people who just wish they could be in your shoes but wouldn't admit it. just enjoy it. it will be over all to quickly and you will want to to it again. dont worry about making mistakes you will surprised how much the audience takes notice of the bass player! :)

DO it!

What is the worse thing to happen?

It will be a breeze.

[u]IF[/u] you make a duff note, so what, your audience will love you regardless.

Make out that you are doing it solely for the love of your wife, then any mistake will be ignored anyhow leaving you free to enjoy it!!

Yeah just do it. Don't worry about sh1111t111ng yoruself. That will all take care of itself earlier in teh day :)
Just take a deep breath and get up there.
You'll be amongst friends and you'll be fine.

I bet you'll want to divorce your MP3 player and find a band afterwards :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

If you don't do it, the regret of not doing it will haunt you/bug you/frustrate you for the rest of your life. You will feel much worse if you don't do it than you are feeling now. Getting up and playing is an amazing feeling. The first time you will feel nervous but I promise you, afterwards, you will be itching to do it again and again and again. You know you can play those songs so its just a case of relaxing, believing in yourself, staying calm and focused at the time of playing and you will be fine. Remember, breathe slowly, consentrate, relax but remember to enjoy it also.

You must do it otherwise you will regret it forever. Oh also, another good approach is to just say f*** it, don't care what happens and just go for it. :)

If makes you feel better, I have been gigging for 23 years. Tomorrow night I have my first ever depping gig. I know most of the 25 songs or so as good as the original but they are all in a different key to what I know. Plus, the band do some slightly different arrangement so I have to keep my witts about me and stay focused. Oh and some songs which I don't quite fully know but I know well enough. Am I nervous, hell yeah. Am I looking forward to it, more than life itself.

Have fun and let us know how you get on. Good luck

Don't worry about it.

I fluff notes all the time live, I always have. I have pissed myself onstage through fear, nerves are natural.

You will only get over the nerves once you are about 30 seconds to a minute into the first song.

You can't do much about them, try to enjoy the nerves., let them flow through you. You are still you at the end.

Have a fantastic time!

Nigel

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='729282' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:28 PM']So, after posting [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=52797&view=findpost&p=524206"]this[/url] a while back, I've finally taken the plunge and will be playing live for the first time ever.

Tomorrow night we're having a party for Mrs HT's 40th birthday. She always said that the one thing she wanted was to see me play with a "real" band, rather than an MP3 player! It's in our local pub, there will be 50-60 friends & colleagues there, plus quite a few locals. The band (the guitarist is a mate) have agreed to let me stand in on bass for a few songs. We're doing [i]Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Let's Stick Together, Smokin' In The Boys Room[/i], and [i]Sweet Home Alabama[/i]. I've played all of these for decades, but for the last four weeks they are ALL I've played (I can actually play [i]Crazy Little Thing[/i] backwards).

So, my question is simply this: How do you get over the nerves? I am absolutely [u][i]SHTING [/i][/u]myself, and if I'm honest, I really don't want to do it. I know I'm gonna miss a string, or fluff a change (I mean, FFS, you don't get much simpler than these songs!), or just generally have a train wreck. But, I also know that if I don't do it I probably never will, and I will continue to kick myself for the rest of my life.

How to approach it? What to think? What to feel? What's gonna happen? What if I make a t!t of myself, or worse? I can't practise any more, although I'll probably have another dozen or so run-throughs tomorrow morning.

I should probably add that I'm not drinking tonight. I want a totally clear head tomorrow.

:)[/quote]

I agree with the others. Just do it! Do NOT back out. You'll forever regret it. We've all been there. Ok you might fluff a few notes but no one will care. In fact probably no one will notice. By the end you'll be firing on all cylinders and they'll have to [i]drag[/i] you off! Sure beats playing along to an MP3! Have a great time and I bet you'll be planning the next gig on your way home !!!!!!

Oh you lucky lucky sod.
I yearn for the day I'll have learnt enough to step up on the stage at my local,I know it will come and as long as I can make a half decent stab at it I'll be happy.
You'll be among mates,you know what your going to play, just enjoy it.
If you do make a mistake don't worry just keep going.
Every one will be on your side.
Have fun.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='729282' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:28 PM']So, after posting [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=52797&view=findpost&p=524206"]this[/url] a while back, I've finally taken the plunge and will be playing live for the first time ever.

:)[/quote]

I read that post you linked to, I feel like a mirror image of you. The only difference is that I have played live, quite a few times, and the nerves have always got the better of me. Also, this is going to sound pathetic, but I've got to give 15 minute presentation next week (after putting it off for a month) in front of my class in college. I'm thinking of quitting the course because I can't hack talking in front of people, I stutter, blush and forget everything... the funny thing is, it's what I want to do. I want to be in front of people showing them everything I've got. In a non big-headed way, I know I'm good at what I do, I just can't prove it in front of an audience. I've got a gig in a couple of weeks and I've decided that it's going to be the decider, if I can block out the audience, enjoy myself, move about and play fine, I'm gonna carry on. If it's the usual on-stage awkwardness... well then I'll give up, because it's clearly not for me.

Sorry for derailing the thread slightly, I just thought I'd share that. I hope everything works out for you and you can manage to see past the audience and enjoy yourself, you know you can do it.

Edited by deathpanda

I will say something, if you do it, however you do it, and whether you do or you don't pull it off, you will have mastered a part of you that you haven't had the chance to master before.

Getting on a stage to do anything for the first time is very scary for most people, but the fear response is overcome by the adrenaline very quickly. The unconscious brain will steer the correct course and the music will flood into you, you [u]will[/u] remember. I did a few live stand up routines a few years back. I never get nervous playing music onstage, it was good for me to remember the complete fear before going on, it was totally exhilarating.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='729282' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:28 PM']So, after posting [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=52797&view=findpost&p=524206"]this[/url] a while back, I've finally taken the plunge and will be playing live for the first time ever.[/quote]

Reading your post from last summer, I've got some similar habits. I spend a lot of time alone and I have a pretty small circle of friends that I stay in regular touch with. I have a bit of a social phobia and sometimes it gets the better of me and I avoid gatherings (incl. my best mate's wedding a few years ago) especially if I have to meet a lot of people I don't know. I struggle with some everyday things, like shopping. I hate shopping on my own, especially for clothes for myself. I avoid it wherever possible and get practically into panic-attack territory sometimes. I used to even stress over going into a supermarket.

All that said, I reckon I've done over 500 gigs.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='729282' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:28 PM']So, my question is simply this: How do you get over the nerves? I am absolutely [u][i]SHTING [/i][/u]myself, and if I'm honest, I really don't want to do it. I know I'm gonna miss a string, or fluff a change (I mean, FFS, you don't get much simpler than these songs!), or just generally have a train wreck. But, I also know that if I don't do it I probably never will, and I will continue to kick myself for the rest of my life.[/quote]

Are you nervous specifically about making a mistake, or just about getting on stage? Because the easy answer to the making a mistake thing is: You will make mistakes and probably nobody will notice, or if they do notice they won't remember. One time I actually played the wrong SONG for the entire first verse, because my monitor was inaudible and my set list was wrong (and - to be fair - I was hallucinating quite severely). Shrugged it off, made sure I played sober ever since. Still make mistakes of course but not of that magnitude. You just have to keep playing, mistakes are history as soon as they've happened. If you dwell on them you won't be concentrating on what you're doing next, and you'll make another mistake.

If you're worried about getting on stage, hang out with the band while they're setting up if you can, get friendly with the people you're going to be gigging with and you'll hopefully develop more faith in them and a bit of camaraderie. All that will give you confidence when you step up to play with them.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='729282' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:28 PM']How to approach it? What to think? What to feel? What's gonna happen? What if I make a t!t of myself, or worse? I can't practise any more, although I'll probably have another dozen or so run-throughs tomorrow morning.

Should I do it? Should I back out?[/quote]

Definitely don't back out. After the first few bars of the first tune you'll get into the music and the rest will all be a blur, and you'll wish you could remember more of it or that it could've lasted longer. I promise. :)

get very drunk first?

in all seriousness, don't think, just do it! you'll be alright once you're up there! twice a year i do these gigs where i end up playing bass with lots of different drummers and guitarists aged anywhere from 7-19 years (there are also a couple of adults, but 95% of these people are aged 7-19). for a lot of the younger ones (and a lot of the older ones, too) these are their first gigs, back when i was 11 one of these gigs was my first gig! and so loads of them are absolutely crapping it beforehand, but also most of them love it when theyre up there, and can't wait for the next one.

you'll have a great time!

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='729282' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:28 PM']I know I'm gonna miss a string, or fluff a change[/quote]

Hey Al, do you really think the average person is going to notice this, and even if they are switched on enough to do so, they will certainly not hold it against you.

I've watched Pete playing live for years, fluff ups 'n' all and the fluff ups matter not - he's out there doing what he loves, and doing it for me as well as himself and I love him to bits for it.

Ceri will be so proud of you - have a ball mate! xxxx

Don't get drunk, or anywhere near, before hand - limit yourself to one of whatever your tipple is. Stay sober until it's done and give it your best shot, plenty of time to drink afterwards. Try not get too wound up over mistakes as this will only lead to more (advice I need to take myself!). Try to relax and enjoy it. Remember that you will be your own worse critic and that things that sound like glaring errors to you will not be noticed by the audience.

I know it's easy to say these things and harder to implement them, because I can clearly remember my first public performance but, if you get anything like the buzz I got from my first public outing, despite the nerves, then you'll be chomping at the bit to do it again.

Best of luck with it.

I remember the first time I played live on stage. EVERYTHING on the amp/bass was set on 1 and I was pretty invisible in the mix but I could just hear myself. A few fluffs but nothing too bad and I wished I'd have turned everything up to a very ambitious 5 afterwards! :)

You most probably will fluff up a couple of notes, but don't concentrate on the fluffs, concentrate on the good bits and go for it and have a ball - you'll be longing to get plugged in and on the stage again before your head hits the pillow :rolleyes:

Dont back out. The vast majority of blokes in the room will want to do what you are doing when youre up there, but cant. You will have already conquered the nerves in varying degrees by
1. Turning up. (Easy cos you dont have a choice)
2. Bringing your gear (because youre showing everyone that you WILL play)
3. Getting up on stage in front of your friends (Look at them before you start. You will see nothing but support for you)

The nerves will disappear and you will love every minute of it. Dont focus on perfection. Focus on the enjoyment you are giving to everyone watching. Im envious. I wish I could bottle that first night feeling. There is nothing like it and youll remember it for ever.

Enjoy every second.

:)

It might sound wierd, but I'm really excited for you.

You have a wife who wants you to get up on stage....give her a big squeeze afterwards for asking you to get up there! I'm very grateful to my other half for being so encouraging.

Seriously, after the first couple of seconds plugging in, and hearing a count in, getting over the first couple of bars of the first song, you'll be surprised how "familiar" it will all be.

One tip might be to ask the band to play the song you find "easiest" to play first, or are most familiar with, that doesn't have too many changes. (Maybe sweet home alabama?).
That way you can get used to hearing the rest of the band, get your bearings, etc.

Anyway, loads of great advice from the community above ....please let us know how it went..

Just relax, you know you know how to play it, including backwards! your worst enemy is a) nerves, and :) thinking about it too much.
So, relax, switch off and enjoy, muscle memory and neural pathways will take over and most importantly, enjoy the moment.

Good luck and let the bass force be with you!