Why become a member? ×

ever fallen back in love with ya old bass

iconic

just had a 2 hour session at home with the PC loaded 70's and 80's songs, the newish VMJ, the new amp and little limoncello on the side, then plugged in my old (10 months!) RBX-374 with Ernie flatties and ohh, my god, I really miss that hard deep bass hit, that my VMJ lacks....I love it all over again!

...funny thing is last year I said to my mate who has 3 leads and 2 basses....why would you want more than 1 guitar....

Definately! I've barely gigged my Spector Rebop 5-string since I got my Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision bass and strung it with D'addario Chromes a few months ago...I love the old-school thud that the Precision gives as well as it's simplicity, but I keep picking the Spector up, more and more, and remembering why I love it so much - pretty much because it's the opposite of what I get from the Precision!

Although having said that, I'm not sure I ever really fell out of love with the Spector - I just got distracted a bit!

Despite almost selling it on more than one occasion (and swapping it and then swapping it back), I've had my trusty Westone Spectrum DX since 1988. Yes, it can be hard to play and it's a bit beaten up, but I don't care. It sounds bloody marvelous and is built like a tank. Well, except the machine heads, which tend to make it go out of tune a little too quick.

For about the last 7 years my No.1 has been a scabby old 70s jazz copy that I picked up from a local pawn shop for £60. I buy other basses (with monotonous regularity), play & gig them for a few weeks, then pick up the J & wonder why I bothered. It's simply Got It - everything just feels [i]right[/i]. :)

Jon.

Yup. Been using the L2500 for a while now & semi retired the Wal (lack of space at gigs, got horribly confused when I went to the 5'er with the different positions I had learnt stuff in using the Hipshot Dtuner, etc), but got it back out to learn stuff for a different project and some odd bits of recording at home. YUMSK! as Giles Wembbley Hogg (2 b's 2 g's) would say. It is heavy (well as heavy as the L2500) and I will never sell it, but it was a brilliant work horse for getting on for 20 years and still merits a blast every once in a while

It would have to be my old Rickenbacker for me :wub:

The one I have a bit of a love hate relationship with is my 30th Anniversary Stingray...... Build quality is sublime, but sometimes I enjoy playing it, other times it just feels wrong....... Good example of this is I played it at band practice earlier this week, and it sounded, and felt horrible! :) But went away, rechecked and adjusted all the setup, used it at an all day band practice yesterday, and it felt good, and sounded awesome :lol:

I'm starting to think about buying another Ric that I'm not sentimentally attached to :lol:

Also took the old EB2 along yesterday, and while the others went off for lunch, I hatched the old beasty out......Wow! HOW MUCH LOW END?? :lol:

Still have my first bass, and Aria Legend P bass clone. Jap Crap at its finest. Plywood body, but it has a really nice neck, and the tuners are really nice too. Plays nice, and will never part with it. I pick it up at least twice a week :rolleyes:

[quote name='retroman' post='728538' date='Jan 29 2010, 11:40 AM']The one I have a bit of a love hate relationship with is my 30th Anniversary Stingray...... Build quality is sublime, but sometimes I enjoy playing it, other times it just feels wrong....... Good example of this is I played it at band practice earlier this week, and it sounded, and felt horrible! :) But went away, rechecked and adjusted all the setup, used it at an all day band practice yesterday, and it felt good, and sounded awesome :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just picked up the 'Tombboy 30th Ray' off Jimmy E. I know what you mean here. To my ears it sounds smoother and more refined than a standard Ray but the finished neck makes it feel........somehow wrong. Having said all that, as it's a 'back-up' bass I don't mind too much - the sound is worth it.

Also need to find a way to get over the compensated nut.

Personally, I am well used to gloss necks. I guess that comes from playing a Ric, and Gibbo's. The satin finish always feels a bit weird at first on Fendery type stuff, but it doesn't take too long to go shiny! :rolleyes:

My 'Ray is a weighty beast, as it has the Mahogony body. the wood on the neck is a really gorgeous mix of flame and birdseye. It really is drool worthy :wub:

Dunno, if someone offered me a swap for a tidy Ric I would be more than tempted :lol: Or a 70's Tbird for that matter :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='727138' date='Jan 27 2010, 11:55 PM']For about the last 7 years my No.1 has been a scabby old 70s jazz copy that I picked up from a local pawn shop for £60. I buy other basses (with monotonous regularity), play & gig them for a few weeks, then pick up the J & wonder why I bothered. It's simply Got It - everything just feels [i]right[/i]. :)

Jon.[/quote]
Any pics of a scabby £60 70s copy?

I hadn't played my MIJ Fender VI in years and was going to sell it. It needed a help-it-sell set-up. I gave it one.

'Big mistake/blessing.

It now has Curtis Novak pickups and LaBella flats. It's a keeper for life.

Hindsight: It didn't change. I did.

A case of narrowly averted seller's regret.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='729953' date='Jan 30 2010, 01:18 PM']I look forward to the day when I can contribute to this conversation. [u]I'm still stuck with a 2008 fender american jazz[/u] and an ibanez something-or-other.[/quote]

Well, we all have our crosses to bear... :)