Why become a member? ×

anyone know any really cool bass tricks

grimbeaver

[quote name='WWRRSS' post='711059' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:07 AM']Didn't the bassist from Bloodhound Gang have a flamethrower bass?[/quote]

i dunno about that, but when i went to see them he downed a stupid amount of beer then puked on the stage. bowling for soup (who followed them) didnt seem too pleased. IIRC he also chained his penis to his amp and dragged it across stage, or something along those lines.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='712194' date='Jan 14 2010, 02:37 AM']Quinton Berry has a few tricks

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMVeS7mpuE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMVeS7mpuE[/url][/quote]

Without the sound on, it looks like he's having some kind of fit. :)

Not a trick really, but I love having my wireless system so I can bugger off into the audience as and when the mood takes me. Sitting down at a table with some unsuspecting punters as I rattle out a bassline can be fun :)

And on a practical note, it allows you to hear the sound mix out front too.

[quote name='Balcro' post='710757' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:18 AM']I don't know if you could call it a trick, more of an amazing facility with a six-string acoustic. At a folk-club in the back of a pub near Romford, a guitarist played normally, then in mid-song, without missing a beat, flipped the guitar over and played it left-handed... and back & fore several times!!

In those days he was known as "Shaggis". By 1977 or so he was better known as Davey Johnstone, Elton John's guitarist.

Balcro.[/quote]

Was that in the Kings head in the old market place?

[quote name='leschirons' post='712259' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:18 AM']Was that in the Kings head in the old market place?[/quote]

I think it was in Rush Green. Leave Romford going north. Cross the dual carriageway ( A12 ?) Keep going straight ahead for about 1 or 2 miles at the most. Came to a junction and turned left. Pub was on the left a little way along. Only ever went there once. Sorry that's all I can remember.

Balcro.

EDIT:- Correction. Having checked the map I now think it was Colliers Row, not Rush Green.

Edited by Balcro

Yeah, I got a good one - nothing special - but it looks good on stage. I used to be in a band where the singer was (and still is) a crackin' bass player too.

We used to play a song that featured a second guitar harmony - but we had just the one guitarist - So, when the part of the song came along - my singer would reach over and play the bass line and chords on my bottom 3 strings - I'd play the harmony lead guitar part on the top three, leaving the guitarist to take the main solo part. I think it sounded great!

Though I also think it was wasted on the audiences, as are many musical devices, such a crazy jumbled up compound time sigs!

[quote name='spike' post='713260' date='Jan 14 2010, 11:41 PM']I bet none of us can do THIS

[attachment=40227:Cuba_photos_007.jpg]
[attachment=40228:Cuba_photos_008.jpg]
[attachment=40229:Cuba_photos_009.jpg]

A mate of mine took these photos when he went to Cuba a few years ago[/quote]

But he's not playing it..... :)

[quote name='yorick' post='713404' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:05 AM']But he's not playing it..... :rolleyes:[/quote]

After the last photo was taken he balanced on his nose and used both hands to tap a Jaco Pastorius medley. Unfortunately the battery on my friend's camera died. :)

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='711995' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:16 PM']I have a great trick where I go for a walk around, stand on my lead that rips out and walk a few paces wondering what has gone wrong then sheepishly go and plug back in again, cant count the number of times I have done this[/quote]

Can always tuck the lead in a loop under your strap. Stops a great trick but you then only do it when you want to.

There's a great trick that kutless' bassist uses that's not quite as risky as the full 'bass swing'. Basically he kind of throws his bass to his left (in front of him) using his right hand against the back of the bass, and then (cos it's in some drop tuning) he then uses the same hand to kind of strum the strings at about the 12th fret, and to then catch it as it sings back down with the left hand and keeps on playing. It's quite impressive!!

Back in 1985 when I was making my living as a juggler I opened for a band called the Fents which featured bassist/juggler Laurence Cottle and he let me balance his Wal bass on my toe. Fortunately it worked. Ahh, memories...

Fents fans can hear some of their music at
[url="http://www.myspace.com/thefents"]http://www.myspace.com/thefents[/url]

• 3 months later...

lol I'm a bassist from NY, and my idol is Kurt Cobain, but my bass idol is Krist Novoselic. So I combine the trick style of both. I usually go pretty crazy as in, lay on the floor and play, Jump up and down and play, play it like a stand up bass, move my hips back and forth, headband, scissor kick, lean over the end of the stage, and wave the bass around during the end of a song to get distortion and sh*t XDDD

I was playing some song at church, the verses were quite long and the chords went A D E or something dead simple.
I was arranging the big old fold back wedges with my left hand while keeping the rhythm going with my right. I was impressed but dont think anyone else noticed!