Why become a member? ×

Handedness and guitar (in general)

Rich44

I'm mixed handed (not ambidextrous but do different things predominately with certain hands), but its often struck me how odd how "right handed" playing requires the most dexterity and precision (arguably that is) from the left hand? One would assume due its increased usage the right hand would be more suitable for fretboard playing?

And if playing guitar (a dual handed activity) does improve the coordination/dexterity and muscle memory in both hands, could any right handed person learn left-handed, or vice versa? Would you gain anything from practicing both ways?

[quote name='Rich44' post='706860' date='Jan 9 2010, 06:29 PM']I'm mixed handed (not ambidextrous but do different things predominately with certain hands), but its often struck me how odd how "right handed" playing requires the most dexterity and precision (arguably that is) from the left hand? One would assume due its increased usage the right hand would be more suitable for fretboard playing?

And if playing guitar (a dual handed activity) does improve the coordination/dexterity and muscle memory in both hands, could any right handed person learn left-handed, or vice versa? Would you gain anything from practicing both ways?[/quote]
I wouldn't underestimate the dexterity needed in the right-hand (of a right-handed player).

However, anyone can learn either way around. After all, classically trained violinists all play right-handed instruments - and it's not only the violinists. But if people want or feel the need to play left-handed that's fine with me.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='706888' date='Jan 9 2010, 06:47 PM']If you need any proof, Joe Pass is (I believe) a lefty playing righty. (Mind you, it's rumoured he's an absolute %%$*&&* to work with!).

G.[/quote]
Joe Pass hasn't been a "%%$*&&* to work with" since 1994, when he died.................

There are quite a few examples of left handed people who play right handed - Mark Knopfler is one that springs immediately to mind.

Interersting question. I'm the same, I mix and match stuff the whole time. I write left-handed, throw things right-handed, play tennis right handed, play golf right-handed and box out of the orthodox stance. I do all of these things badly.

Despite this, I can only play the bass right-handed. Playing left-handed just makes no sense to me whatsoever! Maybe if I kept at it I would get better at it but the fact is when I picked up the bass it only made sense right-handed.

Maybe it made sense play right-handed because the left hand is busier. I'm glad I did learn left-handed though, the choice of left-handed basses is pretty poor and you have to pay more for the same basic instrument!

I do admire people like Scott Reeder though, who can get a right-handed bass, turn it upside down and play really well without even re-stringing the thing!

I don't think you would gain that much from practising both ways. You have to have two basses or restring it every time you change hands. Also, I would think with muscle memory it would be easier to get your hands being able to perform one role rather than two.

Unless you want to be bass version of Michael Angelo Batio, I don't really see the point to be honest!

Before people start going "I'm a lefty, but play right", I'll just throw a link up to the last thread we had on the topic, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26726&hl=left+handed"]which is here[/url], so that we keep on the op's topic.

Now as for the hand strength and accuracy argument, it's actually probably better to learn the fretboard with your off hand as you'll not only be strengthening it, but when working on muscle memory (hand shapes, pressure, accuracy) you'd be starting from scratch and would have less items interfering with the learning process.

In all seriousness I think it may be that it is easier for a right handed person to express emotion through dynamics using their right hand. The violinists bowing hand, the guitarists plucking hand, the pianists melody hand (where arguably most of the emotion is).

[quote name='SteveO' post='707256' date='Jan 9 2010, 11:47 PM']Edit: Just remembered a drummer I know plays left handed (all the kit is in a swapped over position left to right) yet is right handed.[/quote]

Once played in a band with a left handed drummer, massive pain in the arse swapping everything between sets :)

[quote name='Protium' post='707274' date='Jan 10 2010, 12:15 AM']Once played in a band with a left handed drummer, massive pain in the arse swapping everything between sets :)[/quote]

I've been there and yes it's a pain in the arse indeed.

Given that when we pick up instruments for the first time we're all cackhanded buggers anyway, why don't people just learn to play right-handed guitars and basses?
I've got massive sympathy for the lefties who learnt leftie and have to pay silly money for instruments or just get told "We don't make lefties".

As rightly pointed out, orchestral players don't have any choice in it and they seem to get by OK.

Mark King is left handed but plays right handed (The only {playing} thing I've got in common with him LOL)

[url="http://status-graphite.com/status/stock/2008/mark/0956.jpg"]http://status-graphite.com/status/stock/2008/mark/0956.jpg[/url]

[url="http://status-graphite.com/status/stock/2008/mark/0960.jpg"]http://status-graphite.com/status/stock/2008/mark/0960.jpg[/url]

B

I'm left handed, but play a right handed bass. (Cos I couldn't be arsed to buy a left handed bass when I started to play). It took me a while to get used to fast picking with my right hand.

Oh, and I play drums left handed and yes it is a PITA when I have to swap a right handed kit over :)

The drummer in my band teaches drums as well and he was telling me that they don't teach drums left handed anymore.

I'm another lefty playing righty after I saw Mike Reid on saturday superstore. was 'playing' my brother's badminton racket left handed up until then. thought I was doing it wrong when I saw this so swapped to righty.

Personally, i think I need more dexterity in my left hand when playing. something like Billy Jean in F# gets my left hand hurting but my right hand is fine

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='707558' date='Jan 10 2010, 12:26 PM']ive got a friend whos a left handed guitarist,
but first learnt on a right handed guitar, but played it left handed, so all the strings with upside down...
its amazing seeing him play like that now, it just confuses me lol

Z

x[/quote]

Rather like Take That's road bass player Lee Pomeroy (now a full member of It Bites). Funnily enough, OMD bass player Andy McClusky does the opposite - he plays a right handed bass strung left handed, apparently because the first bass he bought was a lefty but he didn't know any different.

I'm a mixture of left and right handedness. Sports things like holding a bat or throwing are LH, other things like writing, playing guitar/bass are RH. Actually, though, my right hand is not very good for guitar. I can't do finger picking on guitar or keep a rythm going finger style on bass. I have to use a pick. My son plays bass left handed, but I think he's right handed for everything else. I did try playing his bass, and I could do it just about, but it was a real struggle.

Could be there's a bit of left brain/right brain divide at work here - supposedly the left hand would be wired to the more creative right brain, but I'm not sure if that helps.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='RhysP' post='706895' date='Jan 9 2010, 06:55 PM']Joe Pass hasn't been a "%%$*&&* to work with" since 1994, when he died.................

There are quite a few examples of left handed people who play right handed - Mark Knopfler is one that springs immediately to mind.[/quote]

I believe others include Gary Moore, Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin' Criminals), Dave Hill of Slade, Jim Mullen, Wilko Johnson and (coming back to bass) Mike Porcaro (ex-Toto). Lot of it about.