Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a Fender American Vintage 62RI Jazz?

Clarky

I have been searching in vain for an early 70s Jazz and am coming to the conclusion that my ( I thought quite hefty) budget of about two grand is way short of what sellers are after (typically £2,500-3,500). And this seems to be unaffected by the recession. Put frankly even if I could stretch that far I wouldn't want to as I think its OTT to pay that much more than for a really nice early 70s Precision.

I am thus re-thinking my options. I probably (not for the first time) acted in haste in selling my 2009 Am std Jazz to Old Horse Murphy as it played beautifully and looked great. So I wondered if anyone has experience of the American Vintage 62RI Jazz and whether it is even better than the 2009 Jazz? I Know the equivalent Precision 62RI is highly praised by some BCers but don't recall any comments on the Jazz.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='703325' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:33 PM']I've played 3 of them Clarky and wasn't that impressed. The Concentric knobs are great and more versatile than the current set up but I was quite uninspired by them.[/quote]
Thanks Nick, so I take it your newest acquisition beats the 62RI hands-down in your opinion? I am a klutz!

[quote name='Clarky' post='703340' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:45 PM']Thanks Nick, so I take it your newest acquisition beats the 62RI hands-down in your opinion? I am a klutz![/quote]

:) Sorry Clarky. Easier to play, lighter, better workmanship (IMHO) and far better value for money.

BUT, I guess if you have the option to try a few first you'll get hold of a decent one. I've not played a bad 2008-9 American Fender yet but have found that the QC of the vintage reissues is far less consistent. That said, I reckon if you get a goodun it will probably beat the US Standard hands down.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='703350' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:49 PM']Easier to play, lighter, better workmanship (IMHO) and far better value for money.[/quote]
B*gger

Think I will keep looking for an early 70s Jazz and hope that someone on eBay puts the wrong price as a B-I-N! Either that or Sibob will crack under the relentless pressure of my irritating PMs and say, "OK, Clarky I'll sell you mine, now will you please leave me alone?" :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='703357' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:54 PM']B*gger

Think I will keep looking for an early 70s Jazz and hope that someone on eBay puts the wrong price as a B-I-N! Either that or Sibob will crack under the relentless pressure of my irritating PMs and say, "OK, Clarky I'll sell you mine, now will you please leave me alone?" :)[/quote]

What is the Nash Jazz like?

I think with the reissues, the 62 P and 75 Jazz seem to be favourites.

Hey dude!
I know we've had a couple of comical too-and-fro's about my '73, but why exactly do you want an early 70's Jazz specifically? (or even a Reissue?)
Have you just tried broadening your search to any MIA Jazzes, bearing in mind that pretty much each bass can vary greatly.
Although I very much love my '73 and it gets played a lot, basically it's not going anywhere just yet, my 2003 MIA standard beats it to the number one spot. I've never ever played a bass that has bettered it for sound and feel, including Laklands, US Sadowskys, warwicks.....whatever!. All the '73 needs is a bit more TLC in the way of a refret and some new pickups to get it up there no-doubt, but my point is that my '03 is a completely stock, out the box MIA and blows everything I've ever tried out the water.

Si

p.s.
Just popped this over to 'Bass Guitars' too

i had a MIA 62 reissue jazz & i too was not all that impressed especially when the neck decided to develop a clockwise twist & unadjustable forward bow,i believe Marcus has had the same trouble with a couple of these in the past also.
personally i'd steer clear & stick with a MIA std or get a '75 reissue as these don't seem to have this problem.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Sibob' post='703426' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:46 PM']Hey dude!
I know we've had a couple of comical too-and-fro's about my '73, but why exactly do you want an early 70's Jazz specifically? (or even a Reissue?)
Have you just tried broadening your search to any MIA Jazzes, bearing in mind that pretty much each bass can vary greatly.
Although I very much love my '73 and it gets played a lot, basically it's not going anywhere just yet, my 2003 MIA standard beats it to the number one spot. I've never ever played a bass that has bettered it for sound and feel, including Laklands, US Sadowskys, warwicks.....whatever!. All the '73 needs is a bit more TLC in the way of a refret and some new pickups to get it up there no-doubt, but my point is that my '03 is a completely stock, out the box MIA and blows everything I've ever tried out the water.

Si

p.s.
Just popped this over to 'Bass Guitars' too[/quote]
The attraction to me is that I think the best looking (to me THE classic) Jazz is a sunburst with rosewood neck and block markers and - like many others - I covet vintage instruments. I would prefer even older than early 70s but a late 60s Jazz is even more prohibitively expensive. You are almost certainly right that a more recent Jazz would be every bit as good a player and sound great but it just doesn't do as much for me. Its like a vintage Italian sports car is probably cr@p compared to a new Japanese sports car but I know what I would rather have.

Regarding the reissue, it was probably not my smartest thought but the truth is I really shouldn't have sold my 2009 MIA Jazz and I was hoping that there might be a half-way house betwen that bass and the unaffordable vintage I am after

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='703475' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:09 PM']The attraction to me is that I think the best looking (to me THE classic) Jazz is a sunburst with rosewood neck and block markers and - like many others - I covet vintage instruments. I would prefer even older than early 70s but a late 60s Jazz is even more prohibitively expensive. You are almost certainly right that a more recent Jazz would be every bit as good a player and sound great but it just doesn't do as much for me. Its like a vintage Italian sports car is probably cr@p compared to a new Japanese sports car but I know what I would rather have.[/quote]

I must agree. Until I can enjoy my gear more and get settled in my career, the vintage is out of reach. BUT, what I would like is the best of both...eg a new USA P/J and a vintage USA P/J.

Then more....and more!

I've owned both and for me there's no comparison. I guess the stacked pots of the 62RI are a matter of personal taste but the rubber neck and sticky lacquer finish on the back was pretty poor. Even getting it professionally set up didn't make it much better. I also found the sound of the G string to be quite prominent and could never cure it. Nice looker but I wasn't sorry to see it go. I really like the look of those vintage reissues but that's the only thing they've got going for them. The current Fenders are the best they've produced. IMO of course.

OTOH the neck on the US standard was fantastic. I could get the action right down low with no fret buzz and it was as stable as anything. I never needed to touch it once it was set up.

I had a 62RI Jap Jazz in shell pink though and that was an awesome bass. It had the classic Jazz sound and I kick myself to this day for selling it.

[quote name='Sibob' post='703426' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:46 PM']Hey dude!

Si

p.s.
Just popped this over to 'Bass Guitars' too[/quote]

Quite true. Get the right American Standard & it'll blow everything else away. Mine is the better of every other Jazz-style bass I've played, including Sadowskys & Mike Lulls.

I think it's all about finding the right one for you at the end of the day. The only AV62 I've played that blew me away was Peter's Precision - That one really is a special one.

Rich.

I've got an American Vintage 62 RI Jazz and I'm really into it. I haven't tried a recent American Standard though. I do have a Japanese 62 RI Jazz though and I much prefer the AV. The build quality seems slightly better, but it's mainly the sound. The difference in sound between the two pickups is really pronounced - more so than on most other two pickup basses I have played.

I also have a 66 Jazz bass and the AV compares favourably to that. I think it's mainly the played in feel of the vintage bass that I prefer and I generally play that one as a matter of course. I haven't really A-B'd these two basses in a comparable situation.

As for the stack knobs on the AV, I'm not sure I get much advantage out of that set up - a single tone control would probably do me fine. That said, it doesn't bother me. I don't seem to feel the need to play a jazz bass with the tone on anything other than wide open (different on a P-bass).

Overall though you can probably get a bass that's more silky to play than an AV and better built for less money, but it probably wouldn't be a Fender. Although in fairness, as I said, I haven't tried many of the newer American Standards.
Oh, and the best thing about my AV was that I got it from eBay for £500! Still can't quite work out how that happened.

Andrew

Clarky, give it about another 2 weeks and Old Horse Murphy would probably be selling or trading your old Jazz. He goes through more basses/amps/cabs than I have hot dinners :)

I can't help with the 62RI but I have a 75RI and its the bestest, easiest to play Jazz I have ever played. It's awsome.

[quote name='Clarky' post='704696' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:11 PM']:rolleyes: ... except I have already nagged OHM and he is as happy as a happy thing with my old Jazz. so he might actually keep this one![/quote]

I would'nt put money on it. He's said the same to me in the past :):)

[quote name='doctorbass' post='705132' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:05 AM']Sorry mate, was looking at two threds at the same time!!

What was it about the Nash that you didnt you get on with??

RW = Road Worn (another thread!!)[/quote]
Wasn't that I didn't get on with it, more that I wanted a 70s vintage Jazz even more! Now that I have re-adjusted my expectations (based on stupid pricing of early 70s Jazzes IMHO) I am happy to keep the Nash, per the withdrawal of sale thread. The chunky neck takes a bit of getting used to but it looks and sounds superb.

I recently played a RW jazz in fiesta red, played OK, sounded good, alot of money for a reliced mex jazz IMHO, plus the relic job just looked wrong, something not right!
I then played a 64 reissue reliced CS jazz in Dakota red with matching headstock! O M G! f'in amazing, nice neck, great sound and it looked the dogz, but a lot of money as it was one of the 50 limited ones with braz' rosewood fretboard thats around at the moment!

Tony

[quote name='Clarky' post='703357' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:54 PM']B*gger

Think I will keep looking for an early 70s Jazz and hope that someone on eBay puts the wrong price as a B-I-N! Either that or Sibob will crack under the relentless pressure of my irritating PMs and say, "OK, Clarky I'll sell you mine, now will you please leave me alone?" :)[/quote]

Dude, patience, took me close to five years to find my Precision. 'Nuff said

C

[quote name='Linus27' post='704472' date='Jan 7 2010, 05:29 PM']I have a 75RI and its the bestest, easiest to play Jazz I have ever played. It's awsome.[/quote]

I agree on the '75RI's. This particular one was mine for a while and it's lovely to play.

In fact I have something similar heading my way quite soon. . .