Why become a member? ×

The ultimate rig?

Conan

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread asking for recommendations for amps/cabs.

The input was very interesting but not massively helpful to me, as I was kind of hoping for everyone to say "ah yes, the answer to your dilemma is X..." or "get one of these!!".

That answer was not forthcoming because everyone seems to have their own preference. Which is cool, but as I said, not all that helpful!

So. If money were no object at all, what rig would you use? Or is the rig that you currently own your "ideal" system?

Is there such a thing as "the Ultimate Bass Rig"???

Your thoughts. Give them to me!! :)

My two favourite amps I currently own....the Orange and TC. The MB LM3 is also fantastic. I tried a lot of all tube and micro amps, and these three instantly jumped out at me.

Cabs wise...well, ive gone around in circles with them. The Orange with its respective cabs is absolutely awesome.

I really like Aguilar cabs, so I bought some.

I also really like the TC cabs, and they are great prices, so I want some now!

Berg also make fantastic cabinets...

There are other great manufacturers: EBS, Epifani, Mesa...the list is endless.

If you like a big Ampeg sound but want modern features, give the TC a test.

[quote name='Conan' post='702765' date='Jan 6 2010, 12:57 PM']....The input was very interesting but not massively helpful to me, as I was kind of hoping for everyone to say "ah yes, the answer to your dilemma is X..." or "get one of these!!"....[/quote]
I think we did give you some very helpful advice. 99% of people who suggested gear said, "Have a listen to ... " That's all we can do because you'll hear differently to the rest of us!

Anyway, good luck in your search.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='702982' date='Jan 6 2010, 03:48 PM']I think we did give you some very helpful advice. 99% of people who suggested gear said, "Have a listen to ... " That's all we can do because you'll hear differently to the rest of us!

Anyway, good luck in your search.[/quote]

You're right. Sorry, I didn't mean it like that! THe advice was brilliant.

What I meant was that I was hoping to be told what to get!! :)

I think the other side of your question depends on needs. Most of us here are playing pubs and clubs. If I were in a big world famous band I'd have a much more impressive set up i.e. bigger and louder. There are also factors like not wanting to clutter the house up any more than I already have. We had a clear up and rearranged the living room on Sunday. Incredibly I had 5 cabs or combos in the living room! Not really fair on my wife.

Musical style also presumably has an impact. I have an old beat up Ampeg SVT 115E cab. All I do is run two different heads with it. Smaller gigs I have an old USA Ampeg SVT head and bigger gigs I have a 1978 Fender Bassman head.

If money & space were no issue I'd probably add an Ampeg SVT 4x10 cab to take to bigger gigs but I'm happy with my set up. I also find size and weight an issue as I get a bit older. My lack of roadcrew is certainly a factor on why I don't have a second cab.

If people where being honest, you should get the same answers in this thread as your other one! :)

Personally, I'd say Aguilar DB750 and DB810. But when you get up to that sort of money you could have pretty much anything you fancied and they'd all sound fecking fantastic.

I don't think anyone can tell you what you should have...but if it were me looking for a rig and starting from scratch...hmmm

For a heavy-wieght bass monitor for a decent size stage, I'd probably think Ag DB10 and 15's... with either a Ag DB680 pre and a 1000watt stereo power amp. I'd get the cabs to cope with that... maybe 2x10 and 1x15 per side..

Amps.. I liked the SWR 900, so what would be on the list..possibly, but for weight no object the AG pre.. as above.

Cabs to consider also, would be Bergs of 10 denomintion or maybe the 12's

Other amps, I'd investigate would be the Thundefunk...

but.... I think I'd get a great sounding bass first..and then the amp should do just that, amplify it...
If the initial source isn't that great, there is only so much catch-up you can do..IMO..

So I'd want to cover around 700w stage sound... but would expect to run it very conservatively...

I mean who needs 700watts really..??? and I don't get anything like the amount of volume out fo my set-up that most could.. I play light.

but then I look at the majoirty of places I play right now... and all the above just isn't required... so maybe I could cut it down to just 2 cabs to cover 500watts max...

[quote name='Conan' post='703000' date='Jan 6 2010, 03:58 PM']....Is there such a thing as "the Ultimate Bass Rig"???....What I meant was that I was hoping to be told what to get!!....[/quote]
OK, but [i]ultimate[/i] means expensive!!. For ultimate bass rigs, the world touring, stadium playing professional bassist, depending on the genre, seems to mostly use; Eden WT800 with 2 XLT410 cabs, or Ampeg SVT2 with 810 cab, or Mesa Boogie 400+ with a 215 cab. Any of these rigs smaller brothers would give any non world touring player all that they could need.

In my dreams I would use a Thunderfunk TFB750-A with 2 AE410 cabs, but in reality I've got the next best thing.

to be fair if your going ultimate, i would be looking to build it all myself using good quality components and drivers, most mainstream companys wouldn't be able to touch it with a bargepole, some of the stuff companys like orange / fender / vox put out nowadays is apalling it's like they don't field test their products anymore!

[quote name='chris_b' post='703036' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:22 PM']OK, but [i]ultimate[/i] means expensive!!. For ultimate bass rigs, the world touring, stadium playing professional bassist, depending on the genre, seems to mostly use; Eden WT800 with 2 XLT410 cabs, or Ampeg SVT2 with 810 cab, or Mesa Boogie 400+ with a 215 cab. Any of these rigs smaller brothers would give any non world touring player all that they could need.

[b]In my dreams I would use a Thunderfunk TFB750-A with 2 AE410 cabs, but in reality I've got the next best thing.[/b][/quote]

That or run off a BIG Aggie tube amp was my second choice.

Of course I'd also need the full Berg NV range in case I needed something more old skool (damn IT there goes the GAS again!)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='703124' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:20 PM']Money [i][b]and transport[/b][/i] no object... I'd have a Thunderfunk and a stack of four vertically aligned DB112's. :lol:[/quote]

So basically what you're saying is that you would add another two cabs of the same type to your existing set-up!? :)

It must be pretty cool to already own your "ultimate" rig! :rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing and hearing it!! :lol:

my dream rig is silly!

either an orange ad200b or ampeg svt

running into 2 810 ampeg cabs for clean, and then a mesa dual rec full stack for distortion!

but thats like the stadium rig!

for more normal less dreamy rig, i'd probs say orange ad200, ampeg svt or a trace v4/v6 running into a ampeg 810

andy

[quote name='Conan' post='703146' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:33 PM']BTW, how would that work in terms of impedance? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Unfortunately that's where the idea of me already owning my ultimate rig 'fails'! The TF 550 can only run @ 4 ohms (hence I run a pair of DB112's) so I'd need to replace the 550 with the TF750 (which does 2 ohms) BUT I've no idea if the 750 would sound just like a louder 550!

I've heard that if you aren't pushing the 550 to silly levels then you can run 3 x 8 ohm cabs off the 550 (though Dave Funk doesn't personally validate that option), you just have to watch out for it getting hot... but then I'm not prepared to transport any more than 2 cabs; especially when I carry 50% of the bands PA in my car. Ultimate rigs require ultimate transport! :lol: :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='703165' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:44 PM']....Unfortunately that's where the idea of me already owning my ultimate rig 'fails'! The TF 550 can only run @ 4 ohms (hence I run a pair of DB112's) so I'd need to replace the 550 with the TF750 (which does 2 ohms) BUT I've no idea if the 750 would sound just like a louder 550!....[/quote]
The 750 is supposed to sound bigger and better, with a fuller, punchier and more authoritative tone.

If money wasn't an issue i would first of all have someone make me the ultimate Fender-ish 5string pbass.But for amp/cabs i would try out the Reeves custom 225 head,or use the Orange MK1 head i just bought,put some ridiculously expensive old tubes in it and go nuts with all the avaliable Bergantino,Orange,Mesa(EV),old Marshallcabs,and so on.
This is not much help for you ofcourse.
So,what do you like?
What have you tried that you almost like?
What sounds are you trying to avoid?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='703165' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:44 PM']Ultimate rigs require ultimate transport! :lol: :rolleyes:[/quote]

I think for the purposes of this thread we can assume that your ultimate rig also comes with a teleport unit and it also sets itself up at the gig...

Dream large, dream large.... :)

[quote name='Anders' post='703292' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:11 PM']So,what do you like? What have you tried that you almost like? What sounds are you trying to avoid?[/quote]

Hi Anders!

What do I like? Tough one! There is so much new gear that I like the sound of (meaning that I like what I read), but I haven't actually tried ANY of it! I've had a few very kind offers from other Geordie Basschatters (cheers Bottom_endian and Warwickhunt!) to listen to and even try out their rigs, but the weather being what it is all of that is on hold! :)

Thunderfunk sound awesome but way outta my league! I feel oddly drawn towards TC electronics.... and also BareFaced - but need to try out first.

On the other hand, Ampeg ain't to bad to be starting with! Just need to get this band up and running so I can try it out at proper volumes!

Sounds to avoid? Not many. I don't really do distorted, but I don't really like the excessively clean ("sterile") sounds either. My Status in particular has a very clean sound, so maybe needs a bit of "colouring up" from an amp/cab combination...

I dunno! The more I think about it, the more the options paralysis (isnt that a great term?) sets in!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan