Why become a member? ×

The ultimate rig?

Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='703317' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:28 PM']My Status in particular has a very clean sound, so maybe needs a bit of "colouring up" from an amp/cab combination...[/quote]

That was certainly my experience!

I didn't like the sounds that I could get with my MarkBass amp.
This has been cured by playing through a Sansamp VT to 'dirty' up the signal..... just a touch.

The Status through the Ashdown amp sounds very similar to the MarkBass/Sansamp.... (Due the valve?).

[quote name='clauster' post='703228' date='Jan 6 2010, 06:30 PM']Proper early SVT + 8X10[/quote]

+1, its that simple :)

Wished I'd never sold mine 69 SVT I think and 8x10, made in the days when Heavy metals and carcinogens were in everything manufactured, lovely.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='703165' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:44 PM']Unfortunately that's where the idea of me already owning my ultimate rig 'fails'! The TF 550 can only run @ 4 ohms (hence I run a pair of DB112's)[/quote]
Assuming it's happy to run at 8 ohms as well, couldn't you wire up two series pairs of 8-ohm cabs in parallel (in other words, wire two cabs in series and another two cabs in series, and run those two pairs in parallel with each other)? That'd give you 8 ohms over four cabs. I have no idea how this could be achieved with real-world cabs, but that's how you can make (for example) a 16-ohm 4x12 guitar cab with four 16-ohm speakers.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='704174' date='Jan 7 2010, 02:02 PM']Assuming it's happy to run at 8 ohms as well, couldn't you wire up two series pairs of 8-ohm cabs in parallel (in other words, wire two cabs in series and another two cabs in series, and run those two pairs in parallel with each other)? That'd give you 8 ohms over four cabs. I have no idea how this could be achieved with real-world cabs, but that's how you can make (for example) a 16-ohm 4x12 guitar cab with four 16-ohm speakers.[/quote]

I hear what you are saying and with the right custom leads/wiring that could be achieved so that the TF550 could run x4 DB112's @ approx 380watts. However in the real world I'll likely never need more than two DB112's (which as a 4 ohm load I've never run at more than 12 o'clock on the master volume)... OK on the odd occasion maybe x3 DB112's just to show off :)

[quote name='Conan' post='703317' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:28 PM']Hi Anders!

What do I like? Tough one! There is so much new gear that I like the sound of (meaning that I like what I read), but I haven't actually tried ANY of it! I've had a few very kind offers from other Geordie Basschatters (cheers Bottom_endian and Warwickhunt!) to listen to and even try out their rigs, but the weather being what it is all of that is on hold! :)

Thunderfunk sound awesome but way outta my league! I feel oddly drawn towards TC electronics.... and also BareFaced - but need to try out first.

On the other hand, Ampeg ain't to bad to be starting with! Just need to get this band up and running so I can try it out at proper volumes!

Sounds to avoid? Not many. I don't really do distorted, but I don't really like the excessively clean ("sterile") sounds either. My Status in particular has a very clean sound, so maybe needs a bit of "colouring up" from an amp/cab combination...

I dunno! The more I think about it, the more the options paralysis (isnt that a great term?) sets in!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
You've got ampeg gear now right?
Maybe if you use that a couple of times with the new band and try to find out what's missing.
Ampeg SVT or SVTII pro (a big ampeg all tube head)will give you more lowend punch,fullness and volume/headroom and they will especially with an ampeg 8x10,or svt 410's or coupled with an ampeg hlf cab colour the sound even more than the hybrids.Even coupled with Peavey tvx cabs.

If you want less ampeg colour but still the same general bassyness and not as loud,try an orange ad200 head with for instance ebs classic cabs.
If you want even less ampeg sound,try tc electronics gear mentioned earlier(i haven't tried them myself).
Otherwise there is tons of great stuff with different sounds.EBS Fafner head,Mesa carbine or what ever they're called,markbass and so on.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='704994' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:36 PM']This is what I have now, then all the other combinations below, got me to this point, it was fun. For me, the ultimate rig changing pres and cabs, Glock 2x12 not pictured.[/quote]

Seeing as how I have some personal reference point with the Tech cab Steve :rolleyes: How do the Bergantino, Glock and Accugoove cabs stack up (other than vertically) against it... that's if it is possible to make a comparison based upon relative volumes/outputs. :)

Edited by warwickhunt