Why become a member? ×

FS/FT Lakland DJ5 PJ Black sparkle with Nordstrand pups.NOW SOLD

dave_bass5

I got this brand new at the end do Aug last year from the Galley.

After finding i didnt really like the tone i got the Gallery to put a Nordstrand NP5 and a NJFS in it. I also got a new black pickguard from Sims custom shop to fit the new pup.
The bridge pup vol knob is a push pull type so that the bridge pup can be taken out of circulant. I believe this gives a purer tone but to be honest i cant hear it.
Total cost so far has been £1540.
I'll throw in a Ritter gig bag that i got with the bass and the the old Lakland pups and pickguard. I guess it could be put back to a Jazz although ive not tried it myself.

No dings or marks that i can see other than some very light buckle rash that can only be seen in the right light.

The reason im selling is i just dont like the overall tone of the bass. I never have and even with the pup change it still isnt inspiring me. Its a great tone, and ive had more compliments since ive had this bass than any other but its just not for me.
I also want to go back to 4 string.

Im sure Lakland and the DJ5 need no introduction. The neck is 35" and very fast. You can get a very low action and this was the main reason i got this bass.
Lakland stopped selling these all of a sudden end of last year due to Daryl leaving the Lakland stable out so i guess its now a classic.

Now the price.
Bottom line is im after a Lakland Duck Dunn. I need to raise enough to buy one so im going to ask for £850 to start with. Im open to offers, money wise though but as for trades, it can only be a Duck Dunn (Red,with fralin, would be ideal).

Local pickup/meet in London would be preferable but i am willing to post to UK mainland. If i get near the asking price ill cover the postage, otherwise buyer can pay.

Any questions just ask.

Cheers.

Dave.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Rumple' post='701836' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:34 PM']Wow!

Beautiful looking bass, I would have loved this if it still had the 2 jazz pick-ups.

Good Luck with the sale.[/quote]

Cheers.
If it doesn't sell im thinking of putting the jazz pups back in myself.

Pete. You know you dont really need it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='701850' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:43 PM']Pete. You know you dont really need it.[/quote]

Yes, but when did that ever stop any of us? And as it turns out, I do kinda need it as this morning no gigs in book for a few weeks so only one bass not an issue but now book is filling, including this weekend.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='701853' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:49 PM']Yes, but when did that ever stop any of us? And as it turns out, I do kinda need it as this morning no gigs in book for a few weeks so only one bass not an issue but now book is filling, including this weekend.[/quote]

Well you know what to do ;-)

I remember seeing photos of this a while back, thought it looked sweet and actually considered going a similar route on my DJ5 (same model).

Tone is a very personal thing - I have a love/hate thing with my Bongo, sounds nice at home, good in the studio, but live/loud I find it difficult to control - can you be a bit more specific about what you consider wrong with the sound? The combination of Nordstrand and Lakland should be, on paper at least, a dynamite combination.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='702482' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:33 AM']I remember seeing photos of this a while back, thought it looked sweet and actually considered going a similar route on my DJ5 (same model).

Tone is a very personal thing - I have a love/hate thing with my Bongo, sounds nice at home, good in the studio, but live/loud I find it difficult to control - can you be a bit more specific about what you consider wrong with the sound? The combination of Nordstrand and Lakland should be, on paper at least, a dynamite combination.

P[/quote]

Funny enough its the other way around for me.
At home it sounds un inspiring but at gigs its just right. While playing live is the most important i need to feel inspired at home.
As im sure you know its quite a deep tone. This works very well on gigs, especially as im using cabs that have a mid bump. The overall tone is smoother through these cabs and this was with the Lakland pups and the new ones. In fact i have no complaints with the live sound and it gets lots of compliments now.

But i was after a more punchy, middy P tone, close to my old Fender P5 or Duck Dunn, but this is not what the DJ5 can give me. Even comparing the stock tone to my HW1 Jazz i can hear a difference that just doesn't do it for me, at home more than live at least.
The tone is punchy but just not in the way i wanted. I do think having it as a PJ works very well for me. This is the first PJ ive had and while i dotn like the tone of two Jazz pups on having the two different pups on give a nice tone.

I am actually happy to keep this and use a pre amp pedal like a Sansamp or tone Hammer and i know this will fix my tone issue but i also (and now mainly) want to go back to 4 string.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='702549' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:30 AM']Damn, I have a gorgeous StingRay5 I'd trade for this.................would even throw in a few nice toys to sweeten the deal.

But I don't have a Dunn, so I suppose my offer isn't worth a Donald Duck !!!

Apologies,
S[/quote]

If it was a SR4 3EQ in the right colour then i might be tempted if this doesn't sell but 4 string is my main priority now so i need to keep on track for now.

Cheers.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='702549' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:30 AM']But I don't have a Dunn, so I suppose my offer isn't worth a Donald Duck !!!

Apologies,
S[/quote]
:)

Gorgeous looking bass Dave! Hope you get the right deal on it; more importantly, I hope you get the bass you need for home and gigs...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='702606' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:15 AM']:)

Gorgeous looking bass Dave! Hope you get the right deal on it; more importantly, I hope you get the bass you need for home and gigs...[/quote]

Cheers Nik.

I know playing at home isnt really the priority but as i do all my home playing through my PC/headphones its important to me. But like i say, 4 string is now the main reason for selling this.
At gigs all my basses sound the same anyway ;-)

Just had a gig come in for the 17th so hopefully ill either have a sale or go back to playing it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='702574' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:46 AM']If it was a SR4 3EQ in the right colour then i might be tempted if this doesn't sell but 4 string is my main priority now so i need to keep on track for now.

Cheers.[/quote]

That is an amazing looking bass.

What colour of ray are you looking for?

[quote name='woodyratm' post='702617' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:21 AM']That is an amazing looking bass.

What colour of ray are you looking for?[/quote]

Well im not actually looking for a Ray at the moment but i guess i would have to be really boring and say Black would be my first choice but, also maybe natural or White/RW.

Saying that i have seen some very lovely looking Rays in all sorts of colours so who knows. Definitely not cream, Orange or green though.

The more you guys tell me how nice this looks the more im tempted to keep it lol.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='702627' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:28 AM']Well im not actually looking for a Ray at the moment but i guess i would have to be really boring and say Black would be my first choice but, also maybe natural or White/RW.

Saying that i have seen some very lovely looking Rays in all sorts of colours so who knows. Definitely not cream, Orange or green though.

The more you guys tell me how nice this looks the more im tempted to keep it lol.[/quote]

I vote keep it :) I would suggest a trade for my SR4 but i'd regret it instantly.

I want to hear it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='708784' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:23 PM']Have you put them back in? You cant even tell...thats kinda cool. Lots of options if you wanted to keep trying the different pickup combinations.

Surprised this is still here at that price.[/quote]

Actually that pic was taken before the upgrade, just wanted to show how nice it looks either way. As i still have the original pick guard i think it can be put back together. ill give it a while and maybe see what i can do. If i can sell the Nordys separately i could drop the price of the DJ5.

I can understand it still being here, what with Christmas just a few weeks back. Not a good time to be selling really.

Edited by dave_bass5