Why become a member? ×

A capo on a bass? Surely a transgression of the laws of the Universe!!

thepurpleblob

[quote name='Marvin' post='697862' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:31 PM']He seems to play high up on the neck at some points, so if he's mixing that with the notes where he has the capo (making it effectively an open string) perhaps he's just making life easier for himself. Rather than jumping around the fretboard, which could potentially sound a bit choppy.

But WTF do I know

As a trainspotter aside he's change his rig I think. He was using a marshall last night. I need to get out more.[/quote]

+1 (just got to the end on iplayer)
Think he's just using it to make life easier as he's playing a lot of open notes on the capo. Saves tuning up a full step :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='697837' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:14 PM']In my defense I was simply surprised. I like Kasabian and I think the bass lines are good. I'd literally never seen a bass player use a capo before and I've no recollection of seeing it discussed. And, my (now changed) remark was entirely in jest if a little ill judged perhaps.[/quote]

Wasn't having a pop at you personally mate.
Think people on here like to prove how muso they are sometimes with the 'if you use a capo, you must be useless...' type comments.

Anyhow, yeah, i noticed it, he's always done it on that tune i think.

The lad who usd to play with Kosheen used one on 'hide you' live as well. Just for another user of the bass capo...

Mark Hoppus used a capo for the recording of Blink 182´s ´I Miss You´
The bassline was actually recorded twice and then filled in with a Fender Bass VI.
Live he just slides-never as good as the recording.

Using a capo is the same as a new bass, amp, or pedal or whatever-not for everyone, but it can work for some.
I haven´t done so yet, but would never dismiss it outright- anything that can help make a song/tune better should be considered and seeing as it was mentioned earlier, the bass guitar IS a relatively new instrument and there aren´t any hard and fast rules yet.
Don´t know why this is becoming a heated debate-like most things in life, its not really a big deal eitherway.
Anyway, I´ve gone on long enough (still running on last night´s bubbly fumes), I´m off to sleep it off.
Happy New Year to All!!! :)

I use a capo on occasion, due to nerve damage, which limits the movement of my left hand/arm/fingers - it's a solution to a problem - so that make me either gay or a numpty....

1. Married, two children, divorced, new (female) partner - I think that rules out gay.
2. Started playing at 11 years old - now 47 years old - do the maths - numpty, I think not.

Why do people on here seem to insist on being judgemental - as some-one pointed out - you proclaim to be open minded, but as soon as one little thing doesn't fit in with you perceived view of "acceptable", you start jumping up and down, insulting and critisizing people for being inventive and daring to "think outside the box"

At the end of the day, does it matter how people play, and what technique, mechanical or otherwise, that people use - we are bass players, and above all, individuals.

I've seen the Mars Voltas Juan Alderete using a capo too - can't remember the song.

I don't see what the issue is. I use one often with my acoustic indy/folk band as it allows me to use droning strings and some nice chords - I tend to use a lot of chords with this band so a capo really helps unlock possibilities when writing bass lines.

IMO, every bassist should try one. You never know, might open a whole bunch of techniques to you. That is of course at the risk of being "gay"... :)

I've heard of him, he's certainly famous amongst fans of doom/sludge/drone music.

There was a discussion on talkbass where someone wanted to tune down to C to match the guitarists in his metal band. Most people just replied "duh, get a 5 string or string your bass BEAD", but since a lot off riffs require playing up on the neck while bouncing off the open strong pedal notes, I suggested he go 5-string or BEAD and use a capo at the 1st fret if necessary. I want to get one myself but I had a look online and found 50 types of capo and I'm not sure which ones would fit on a chunky bass neck!

[quote name='basshead56' post='697881' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:54 PM']Mark Hoppus used a capo for the recording of Blink 182´s ´I Miss You´
The bassline was actually recorded twice and then filled in with a Fender Bass VI.
Live he just slides-never as good as the recording.[/quote]

this is interesting, where did he put the capo? doesn't he need open E for the verse? and where does he slide live? the verse is hammered on, and the chorus just plays root notes, doesn't it?

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='698062' date='Jan 1 2010, 04:08 PM']I've heard of him, he's certainly famous amongst fans of doom/sludge/drone music.

There was a discussion on talkbass where someone wanted to tune down to C to match the guitarists in his metal band. Most people just replied "duh, get a 5 string or string your bass BEAD", but since a lot off riffs require playing up on the neck while bouncing off the open strong pedal notes, I suggested he go 5-string or BEAD and use a capo at the 1st fret if necessary. I want to get one myself but I had a look online and found 50 types of capo and I'm not sure which ones would fit on a chunky bass neck![/quote]

I use a Dunlop "Curved Trigger Capo", which is for acoustic guitars, but it fits perfectly on my P-Bass, my acoustic basses, and on my 5 string (tuned EADGC though, so hasn't got a massive B to contend with). Works on the 4's up to about th 9th fret. I have a Kyser one too that I use on my acoustics but its a bit stiff still and tends to ruin tuning when used on a bass.

[quote name='crez5150' post='697854' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:24 PM']Absolutely.... is it really any different to having one of those Drop tuners fitted to your bass?[/quote]

Yes-because a drop tuner gives you notes that were previously unavailable-a capo takes
away notes that were previously available. :)

I don't really see the need for a capo on bass,but then again,I don't for guitar
either- I've never used one and neither do most of the guitarists I play with.

[quote name='Doddy' post='698136' date='Jan 1 2010, 05:26 PM']Yes-because a drop tuner gives you notes that were previously unavailable-a capo takes
away notes that were previously available. :)

I don't really see the need for a capo on bass,but then again,I don't for guitar
either- I've never used one and neither do most of the guitarists I play with.[/quote]

Not necessarily depending on how you tune.... you could easily drop to a D on a 4 string... I used to drop the E to a C quite regularly when I was on 4 stringers...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='698038' date='Jan 1 2010, 03:46 PM']Famous? Who from What? :)[/quote]

Hah, well admittedly it does depend on your definition of "famous". As dannybuoy said, they're easily well recognised amongst fans of their genre/s, and probably also pretentious Pitchfork/NME types too, although personally I tend to avoid the latter whenever possible.

Just remember it's rock n roll so there are no rules! I saw a great picture of Paul McCartney in Abbey Road studios with a capo on his Hofner bass - I don't play as well as Paul so can't stand in judgement! I wouldn't use one on a bass personally because I know the neck well enough now but I figure if good players wish to then there is no harm in it.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='697725' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:17 AM']I was watching Jools Holland last night and noticed that the dude out of Kasabian was using a capo on his bass. I've never seen that before. Is this now acceptable in leu of mad tunings or has he just gone crazy??[/quote]

this is what i think...they guy knows a tune in terms of neck position....they want to go up a tone or semitone
so capo and play the tune as normal...

its easier when you think of it than moving up the neck to do the transposition

I'm quite surprised by some of the snobbery on this thread, I can really see why it'd be useful, and I don't see why it implies that any bassist that does use one is a poorer bassist or has less theory knowledge than one that doesn't. I agree with the notion that it's basically no different to a drop-tuner, tuning to a different key or even going 5 string, and I have nothing against any of those things either.

For example, here's Martin Mendez of Opeth, a fantastic bassist, making use of a capo:

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='698154' date='Jan 1 2010, 05:43 PM']Just remember it's rock n roll so there are no rules! I saw a great picture of Paul McCartney in Abbey Road studios with a capo on his Hofner bass - I don't play as well as Paul so can't stand in judgement! I wouldn't use one on a bass personally because I know the neck well enough now but I figure if good players wish to then there is no harm in it.[/quote]

Yeh - I guess if I had just learned something complicated with lots of open strings and then it got transposed I wouldn't be so proud not to say "pass me the capo". Preferable to looking like an idiot and mess it up.

[quote name='Maverick' post='698270' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:14 PM']I'm quite surprised by some of the snobbery on this thread,[/quote]

It's probably all my fault. I did rather couch the question that way although - honest guv - I didn't mean it like that. What the hell do I know about bass playing - I'm sat in my spare room reading Basschat while they're out traveling the world doing there thing (capo or not).

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='698294' date='Jan 1 2010, 07:31 PM']It's probably all my fault. I did rather couch the question that way although - honest guv - I didn't mean it like that. What the hell do I know about bass playing - I'm sat in my spare room reading Basschat while they're out traveling the world doing there thing (capo or not).[/quote]

Not at all mate, if it's something that's completely new and alien to you there's nothing wrong with asking, it's just some of the other comments that I think are a bit off.

I plan on buying a 6 string bass, tuning it to F# and then designing and making some sort of custom capo for the F# and B strings, so that I can have those extreme sub notes while I play a melody line over the top. Will just make it so much easier for me.

Zach