Why become a member? ×

A capo on a bass? Surely a transgression of the laws of the Universe!!

thepurpleblob

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='697731' date='Jan 1 2010, 08:23 AM']Well, the way I look at this is this: if it sounds ok, then it probably is ok.

I seem to remember the brothers Wooten using girlies hair bands on their respective Bass and Guitar when slapping on the 1998 Bass Day DVD. :-)[/quote]

Quite so... there's quite a bit of Kasabian stuff that's beyond me so what do I know :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='697739' date='Jan 1 2010, 08:55 AM']Not sure I'd use the word 'gay', but I can't really see the point in it. It makes sense on a guitar as you are playing the same chord shapes but in a different key, but that doesn't really apply to the bass in the same way?[/quote]

I use it entirely in the pejorative sense, not to disrespect any minority groups (except, perhaps, those who use a capo or hairbands on their bass) :)

The only thing I can think of is when you have one of those blasts through a scale (or similar) with an open string between every note. Then someone says "let's take the key up a step" and you can't play it any more!!

Edited by thepurpleblob

Maybe, if you're playing a line way up the neck that relies on pull-offs to an open string...

Otherwise, it's just says "look at me...I'm crap" :)

Happy New Year to all BCers

Edit: Post taken too seriously. Edited to add smiley thing :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='MythSte' post='697807' date='Jan 1 2010, 11:50 AM']Purple Blob, i know its the new year and all, but could you amend the title to something a little less vulgar please? I know its not your intention etc etc, but make my life easy, just for today! ^_^[/quote]

Ooops!! Sorry :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='697814' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:00 PM']bass on all kasabian stuff is quite basic(songs ive tried anyway)

no need for a capo, just needs to be quicker changing notes or learn his scales and fretboard[/quote]

Yeh - I'm trying to remember which song is what but it was mostly the flurry of notes that screwed me up. That must be his dirty little secret :) I kinda hope the guy isn't on this board now though :rolleyes:

EDIT
Evidence:

Edited by thepurpleblob

Well, to be honest, i think you're being a bunch of knobs about this.

I'm not 'gay' or 'Crap', I certainly know my way around a fingerboard, and i'm pretty sure i'm a decent enough bassist to be able to adapt a bassline if the singer wants to change key.

I chose to do a tune of ours with a capo on the fifth fret, i then stopped using the capo and just went up a string (it was just another item to forget when packing the van). It didn't really sound the same, the capo seemed to deaden he strings off a bit. So i used a capo for the time that tune stayed in the set.

I've also used it for chordal pieces before, I actually covered a Richard Bona thing for my Music A Level , type 'Richard Bona - Jools Holland' into youtube, he uses a capo, so he's obviously 'gay'....

Just as a closing thought, who makes these 'rules' up, i'm sure the bass guitar is still a relatively new instrument, so while it's a bit of a 'cheat', i don't see how it's 'wrong', that just strikes me as a blinkered set of views.

I'd love it if the bassist playing with Kasabian at the minute (he's their third in 2 years) is some Berklee educated jazz supremo, and he's following orders for a paycheque.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='697826' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:08 PM']Well, to be honest, i think you're being a bunch of knobs about this.

I'm not 'gay' or 'Crap', I certainly know my way around a fingerboard, and i'm pretty sure i'm a decent enough bassist to be able to adapt a bassline if the singer wants to change key.

I chose to do a tune of ours with a capo on the fifth fret, i then stopped using the capo and just went up a string (it was just another item to forget when packing the van). It didn't really sound the same, the capo seemed to deaden he strings off a bit. So i used a capo for the time that tune stayed in the set.

I've also used it for chordal pieces before, I actually covered a Richard Bona thing for my Music A Level , type 'Richard Bona - Jools Holland' into youtube, he uses a capo, so he's obviously 'gay'....

Just as a closing thought, who makes these 'rules' up, i'm sure the bass guitar is still a relatively new instrument, so while it's a bit of a 'cheat', i don't see how it's 'wrong', that just strikes me as a blinkered set of views.

I'd love it if the bassist playing with Kasabian at the minute (he's their third in 2 years) is some Berklee educated jazz supremo, and he's following orders for a paycheque.[/quote]

In my defense I was simply surprised. I like Kasabian and I think the bass lines are good. I'd literally never seen a bass player use a capo before and I've no recollection of seeing it discussed. And, my (now changed) remark was entirely in jest if a little ill judged perhaps.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='Daquifsta' post='697731' date='Jan 1 2010, 08:23 AM']Well, the way I look at this is this: if it sounds ok, then it probably is ok.

I seem to remember the brothers Wooten using girlies hair bands on their respective Bass and Guitar when slapping on the 1998 Bass Day DVD. :-)[/quote]

They use the hairbands to stop excess ringing from the strings much like Carole Kaye uses masking tape at the bridge. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='697838' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:14 PM']They use the hairbands to stop excess ringing from the strings much like Carole Kaye uses masking tape at the bridge. :)[/quote]

Carol Kaye invented masking tape. :rolleyes:

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='697826' date='Jan 1 2010, 12:08 PM']Well, to be honest, i think you're being a bunch of knobs about this.[/quote]

What he said.

Bassists seem to love going on about how open-minded they are to new ideas and techniques. Don't see much evidence in this thread.

Oh, and I love his tone.

Edited by donut

He seems to play high up on the neck at some points, so if he's mixing that with the notes where he has the capo (making it effectively an open string) perhaps he's just making life easier for himself. Rather than jumping around the fretboard, which could potentially sound a bit choppy.

But WTF do I know

As a trainspotter aside he's change his rig I think. He was using a marshall last night. I need to get out more.