Why become a member? ×

Butchering a 70s Precision

thepurpleblob

After some thought, hassle and deliberation I am planning on butchering up my '79 precision fretless to the following effect...

* Swap out the neck for a fretted one. Probably a Status graphite job. I/we have discussed this move before and while it's clearly not to everybody's taste I'd like to give it a bash. I can't play fretless and I don't have the time to learn properly.
* Get the body refinished. I know, I know. However the bass is never going to be for sale so it's market value is immaterial. I'd rather not have it with the current paint flaking off. I'm thinking black sparkle (!). Anybody recommend anybody for this job? I'm in Glasgow so someone in Scotland would be nice but not a requirement.
* Maybe upgrade the pickup. Not so sure. I quite like the sound and would definitely stay passive on this one. However, it's going to sound different with a new neck of course. Does anybody have any thoughts?

My G&L Tribby and my TRB4 will be going up for sale to finance all this. I need to reduce the number of basses in my collection and those two don't get played.

Any thoughts and/or abuse appreciated :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='693752' date='Dec 26 2009, 03:11 PM']Ah the vultures are circling :)

No. No parts will be for sale. I have to be able to put it back - excepting the paint of course!![/quote]

Vultures indeed.lol
They are lovely sounding pups the late seventies ones- I wouldn´t sell em either.
Yeah, suppose being able to switch back would be pretty handy.
best of luck with it anyways mate and keep us posted on the ´transformation´
Have a great New Year
Colin

Agreed on selling it and starting from scratch then you will get the exact spec you want. You could get a good fretted bass (eg MIJ Fender P) for the price of a Status neck alone! Even if ancient with flaking paint there will probably be a buyer out there for your fretless (as you know some positively prefer some 'mojo' in a vintage bass).

Why not post a photo in this thread and see if anyone is interested?

[quote name='umph' post='693778' date='Dec 26 2009, 03:46 PM']don't do it, thats hella sexy as it is! save some money on buying the parts and buy a bass you actually get on with.[/quote]

No it isn't sexy. Gemma Arterton is sexy but that's just an old Precision that I can't play and can't sell. I might as well do something useful with it :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

I think the body looks great - maybe add an Allparts or Mighty Mite fretted neck (maple for the JJ Burnel look or rosewood for the stealth look) and a fake F*nder logo for a cheaper alternative to the one you suggested in the OP?

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='693782' date='Dec 26 2009, 03:52 PM']I think the body looks great - maybe add an Allparts or Mighty Mite fretted neck (maple for the JJ Burnel look or rosewood for the stealth look) and a fake F*nder logo for a cheaper alternative to the one you suggested in the OP?[/quote]

It's not. The lacquer has started lifting and dampness has got underneath it making big milky patches. In places (particularly the bouts) it has flaked off altogether. I'm aware that with some luck I might get a period neck for the same sort of money as a Status neck. I would even give a Jazz neck a bash.

Go for it Blob dude!! If you can`t/wont sell it then butcher it. It doesn`t seem to be any good to you in it`s present state, so go for it!

Having said that, in the photo it looks well tasty in it`s present guize!

There is a guy on e bay selling Mighty Mite necks that seem to be licened by Fender. I bought a scratchplate from him and it was painless. Here`s a link

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Maple-Lic-Neck-Fender-Precision-Bass-MM2907_W0QQitemZ330389897498QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4cecc5c11a"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Maple-Li...=item4cecc5c11a[/url]

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='693828' date='Dec 26 2009, 05:16 PM']Go for it Blob dude!! If you can`t/wont sell it then butcher it. It doesn`t seem to be any good to you in it`s present state, so go for it!

Having said that, in the photo it looks well tasty in it`s present guize!

Jez[/quote]

It does look very nice hanging on my wall but that's the stretch of it. It was given to me by a close friend on the understanding that I did not sell it (to cut a slightly longer story short). The tone of the bass is fantastic so I'm fishing around for the best way to get some use out of it rather than it being an ornament. I'm very much open to suggestions but either selling it or acquiring any other basses are not options (either my friend or my wife would kick my arse in that order).

Thanks for the link... anybody tried these necks? Seems cheap.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='693903' date='Dec 26 2009, 06:50 PM']I hate people mucking about with classic P-basses [b]but[/b] it's your bass and for me your saving grace is that you intend to keep it. If this is genuinely the case then you should do whatever you want to maximise your enjoyment of it.[/quote]

Well, as a minimum, swapping the neck is entirely reversible. The only other thing I can get away with would be if anybody had either a fretted neck they wanted to swap for a fretless one. I'm kinda loathed to part with it though in case I have a change of heart as I'm never going to have a better fretless than this. Sigh!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='693922' date='Dec 26 2009, 07:23 PM']Sounds like you really want a different bass.[/quote]

Well yes and no. I really like the bass but I'm not good enough on fretless and I'm unlikely to get good. Getting rid is not an option so I want it to magically have frets. I'd also like the finish to be nicer but that's not critical. I am working inside certain non-negotiable constraints here unfortunately.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='693986' date='Dec 26 2009, 09:37 PM']I'd say stick it in its case and forget about it. It will be a nice inheritance for the kids as the value is only going to go up, and you and your mate won't be around :lol:

But being serious, i really wouldn't touch it :)[/quote]

Well... that is an option. It spent the last 20 years in its box in a cupboard :rolleyes: No kids, however.

Jimmy Moon for the paint job.

Perhaps he could fret that, er (fret) board for you?
Get that done first and then when budget allows get the paint done.

Guess he will still be on the South Side.
Bit out of touch with Scotland having left 3 years ago.
Good luck and all the best,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='694007' date='Dec 26 2009, 10:24 PM']Jimmy Moon for the paint job.

Perhaps he could fret that, er (fret) board for you?
Get that done first and then when budget allows get the paint done.

Guess he will still be on the South Side.
Bit out of touch with Scotland having left 3 years ago.
Good luck and all the best,
Karl.[/quote]

Jimmy Moon is still in Scotland somewhere,Glasgowish I think???

Spoke to him about 7 or 8 months ago,he had done some paintwork to a 1994 BCR Widow I bought,now being completely redone by Chris Eccleshall