Why become a member? ×

questionnaire

jackp86

Hi
My name is Jack I am a bass player I play both bass guitar and string bass. I am currently studying the MA level in popular music. Part of the course requires that I do a project into an area which interests me.
I have chosen to research into the role of the bass player with the shift from the string bass to the bass guitar within the 1950s to present and including popular music styles. I was wondering if you could please help me by answering a short questionnaire in relation to this, to form a true opinion.
Thank you for your time and for helping me with this.

Jack

1) How long have you been playing Bass Guitar/String Bass for or both?

2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?

3) Who are your favourite exponents of both string bass/bass guitar?

4) Do you think that both the bass guitar and string bass are important as bass instruments?

5) What genres do you think are important for bass players to listen to?

6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?

7) Do you think bass can be used to solo as well as accompany other instruments?

8) Do you think it is important to learn to sight read?

9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role?

10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?

11) What is the best amp to use for bass guitar or string bass?

12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?

20yrs of electric and 6 months of stand up bass.

2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?

N/A - I certainly get more comments after gigs with the double bass

I like Rick Danko (The Band) a lot.

4) Do you think that both the bass guitar and string bass are important as bass instruments?

Yes, certainly in rock / pop music

Listen to a wide range of things you like. I like everything from folk to reggae, country to rock etc etc

6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?

Yes, that's why Leo Fender designed the bass guitar. Something that gets forgotten by some bass players

7) Do you think bass can be used to solo as well as accompany other instruments?

Yes but I think it's best in a supporting role

No. It depends what you want to achieve. It's only a barrier for some session work

9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role?

No opinion, not for me.

10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?

There are some good products on the market now but personally I'm a traditionalist.

It depends on what you hope to achieve. I have an old Bassman tube head that I run through an Ampeg SVT cab. I don't know about best but it suits me. I tend to D.I. the double bass

12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?

Again I have a Shadow pickup that works for me and doesn't colour the sound.

[b]1) How long have you been playing Bass Guitar/String Bass for or both?[/b]

Electric only - 28 years Fretted, 7-8 months Fretless
[b]
2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?[/b]

No - String Basses scare me. Recognition isn't why I do what I do (but it's nice when it happens).

[b]3) Who are your favourite exponents of both string bass/bass guitar?[/b]

String - Willie Dixon
Electric - Jack Bruce/Neil Murray
All within a Band context

[b]4) Do you think that both the bass guitar and string bass are important as bass instruments?[/b]

Yes.

[b]5) What genres do you think are important for bass players to listen to?[/b]

All - inspiration can come from the most unlikely places.

[b]6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?[/b]

In theory, yes, depends on the guitarist. The reverse maybe a more interesting avenue to explore though.

[b]7) Do you think bass can be used to solo as well as accompany other instruments?[/b]

Yes - Google/Youtube Colin Hodgkinson & Nils Henning Oersted Pedersen.

[b]8) Do you think it is important to learn to sight read?[/b]

It doesn't hurt, depends on your personal goals though.

[b]9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role?[/b]

They have their uses. Depends on player preference & material.

[b]10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?[/b]

Not really a substitute, more of an alternative.

[b]11) What is the best amp to use for bass guitar or string bass?[/b]

Personal preference - I know of a DB player that uses a 300w Ashdown & 4 x 10 (Pete Pritchard)

[b]12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?[/b]

Outside my purview - Fishman seem popular.

[quote name='jackp86' post='689806' date='Dec 20 2009, 03:09 PM']Hi
My name is Jack I am a bass player I play both bass guitar and string bass. I am currently studying the MA level in popular music. Part of the course requires that I do a project into an area which interests me.
I have chosen to research into the role of the bass player with the shift from the string bass to the bass guitar within the 1950s to present and including popular music styles. I was wondering if you could please help me by answering a short questionnaire in relation to this, to form a true opinion.

Jack

20 years or so on both

Stanley Clarke for both. I actually don't know many doublers.
heroes would be Ray Brown, Charlie Haden Dave Holland.

Yes both have unique roles depending on the music genre

All genres but you can't ignore the great Jazz bassists and their performances.
Worth listening to all the RnB greats Bootsy Collins etc
Personally love all the bass lines in Steely Dan recordings also Stevie Wonder's bass lines are great even though a lot of them are played on synth.
Finally check out JS Bach's bass lines they teach you so much.

I don't really know. My own experience of listening to guitarists play bass is not a happy one. They don't think of the Harmonic\rhythmic role of the bass.

Of course?

Absolutely! Reading is an essential tool for the pro bassist. You will get more gigs.

I have no experience beyond 4 strings.

Generally they are second best. There are many good EUBs eg Azola but they just can't compete with the organic double bass.

I use an Acoustic Image Contra for small gigs.
And the Acoustic Image Focus III into a Euphonic Audio cab for loud gigs or bass guitar gigs.

I have used the Shadow, Rev solo and Full circle.
My favourite by far is the Full circle[/quote]

Played double bass for about 11 years and bass guitar for about 9.

n/a

The only player whose playing on both I know is Stanley Clarke.

Yes- they fill different roles.

Whatever genre they want to play in, or ideally all genres.

Yes- bass guitar is physically and musically less demanding in a lot of circumstances.

Yes, although its very difficult to do well.

For me, yes, but it depends on what you want to do. If all I wanted to play was pub rock or indie for example it would be a pretty wasted investment.

I love them. I play a 5 string upright and 4, 5 and 7 string electrics. I don't see myself going back to 4. You lose nothing by taking on more strings IMO.

No direct experience but its bound to be a compromise.

Really down to personal taste. I tend to practice through a hi-fi and gig on whatever amp is provided.

Don't really gave enough experience to comment, although the Revolution Solo II I've just fitted seems to be good in that respect.

Bass guitar over 20 years, upright about 1 year.

n/a

On upright it's Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Cachao. On bass guitar Bootsy Collins, Paul Jackson, John Taylor and Bernard Edwards would be some faves.

Yep, definitely.

I think that there are great bass players in every genre, but in my entirely personal opinion genres like funk, jazz and latin are more fun to play bass to.

Yep, as bass guitar is much more like a 6-string.

Bass solos can work if they're short and interesting and don't involve noodling around at the top of the neck sounding to all intents and purpose the same as an electric guitar.

If it helps you to be able to play things that you wouldn't otherwise play, then yes.

If you like the extra strings, go for it. Personally, I like the quote from someone about "not being done with these 4 yet".

Not quite the same instrument, but there are many cases when the EUB is a valid substitute.

Lots

Haven't been playing it for long enough to have a useful opinion.

Electric bass, since 1978. Double bass off and on since 1980. Currently playing both

I double. Both are enjoyable in their own right.

3) Who are your favorite exponents of both string bass/bass guitar?
String Bass: Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Mingus, Walter Page, Dave Holland, old school guys
Electric Bass: James Jamerson, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Verdine White, Jaco, Phil Lesh, groovers.

Yes, they form part of the foundation of time and groove

All? Classical, jazz, blues, Motown, pop, fusion

Depends on the ability and talent of the guitarist.

Yes

Yes, and being able to transcribe is a very useful skill as well.

No problem with it really. I play both 4 and 5. The 5 string is an important axe for me when I'm jobbing, doing sessions, pop gigs etc...

In this day and age with the difficulty and expense of transportation, EUB can really help out. After all, if you are using a pickup on your UDB then you have to settle for a tone that's not quite what your bass sounds like acoustically. A quality EDB can sound the same as a fine UDB with a pickup. It's about compromise.

One that get's you "your" tone and voice.

I'd say mics are better but are prone to feedback at anything above moderate volume. It's very subjective and heavily reliant on the natural tone of your instrument and your style of playing. Again, which ever one get's you "your" sound, and it can get very expensive finding out :)

Good luck with your project Jack

14 years on Electric, 10 on Upright

It totally allowed me to get more work

Assuming you mean doublers- John Patitucci,Tom Kennedy,Christian McBride
Stanley Clarke,Brian Bromberg,Chris Minh Doky,Conrad Korch..........there's loads

Of course they are!!

Everything!!!!

It's physically similar,so yes

Yes of course it can-and has for centuries.

Yes,Very. I don't know why people would not want to learn.

They are great-they aren't an 'add on',more of an evolution.

Electric Uprights are great if you have a good one. Too many are just like big fretlesses.

Depends......there are a ton of good amps out there. MarkBass,Roland,Polytone
AER, Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio,Aguilar,Walter Woods-all make good amps
for doublers

Again it's all personal preference. I like the David Gage 'Realist', but Underwood and Fishman make
popular pickups too.

Bass guitar - 35 years,
Electric upright - 9 months.

n/a- but it wouldn't be about recognition.

I don't really have favourites, I listen to lots of people

of course they are.

all of them, of course

of course, they are physically more similar

of course it can and is

the importance of sight reading depends on what you are doing as a musician, for some it would be indispensible. But there's also a difference between being able to immediately read and play on first sight and being able to make sense of notation which would be not disadvantageous for any bass player

they are fine but they don't interest me and aren't necessary for what ido

they take up less space and allow me the opportunity to play some upright

there is no best amp

there is no best pickup

Electric - 2 years. Upright - 1 year
[b]
2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?[/b]

I double on both.

Electric - Kai Echkardt, Anthony Jackson, Rocco Prestia

Upright - Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Dave Holland

[b]4) Do you think that both the bass guitar and string bass are important as bass instruments?[/b]

Yes, very much so.

I think all musicians should absorb as much music as possible. I mainly get my inspiration (as a bassist) from jazz.

[b]6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?[/b]

I think most guitarists could fumble there way around with a bass guitar, no problem. Upright however, different story.

[b]7) Do you think bass can be used to solo as well as accompany other instruments?[/b]

Why not? It's been done before and I think there's more to come.

In my experience, it definitely helps.

[b]9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role?[/b]

My upright is a 5 string but I only play 4 string electrics at the moment. I don't have anything against extended range...whatever the player needs.

[b]10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?[/b]

Technique wise, no problems. Sound wise, I don't think an EUB can compare to an acoustic upright.

Subjective to each player's desired sound. I use a GB Shuttle 3.0 w/ 8" cab.

[b]12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?[/b]

Again, subjective. I use a Shadow.

[b]Bass Guitar 18 years, Upright Bass 5 years (although the latter is mainly at home for personal gratification)[/b]

[b]See above[/b]

[b]Jamerson. 'Nuff said.[/b]

[b]Of course. [/b]

[b]All genres.[/b]

[b]I think it depends on the person. I struggle to play the guitar because I have fat fingers, I'm sure guitarists with dinky hands might struggle to stretch on the upright?[/b]

[b]Yes, but not the sort of thing I like to listen to for very long.[/b]

[b]Yes, I wish my skills were better.[/b]

[b]I love 5 strings for the extra low notes and position possibilities. I'm not into extra high strings because I'm not a "widdler" but I'm sure they are good for those that are.[/b]

[b]Never tried one, but once you've tried to get a 3/4 acoustic into a Renault Clio along with the amps and other stuff, you begin to wish you had.[/b]

[b]Erm, this will cause a flame war for personal preference, it's all subjective! I use an Ashdown rig, but never been happy with the upright through it. I think this is down to lack of setup time spent with the pickup and its preamp to get a nice sound, rather than the rig though![/b]

[b]As above, RE: subjectivity. I suppose I could generalise and say flatwounds?[/b] :)

Edited by Huge Hands

Electric - 29 years - Double bass - three weeks

Not to get more recognition but to get more work!

Dave Holland and Marc Johnson on double. Steve Swallow and Jimmy Johnson on electric

DIfferent instruments that work better in different settings but, yes, they are both important

All

Yes, the change is easier

Of course but with care

Very - not because its is essential but because it is particularly useful

5 string yes but the 6 is probably not worth the extra upper range as it is thin and icky. After that, I think the ERB thing is a bit 'for the sake of it.

If the instrument works, fine, if it doesn't....

Too simplistic - I use Eden but others would do the job just as well.

Not got that far yet.

Bass gtr 34yrs, Double bass 29yrs

na

Dave Holland, Ray Brown, Marc Johnson, Scott LaFaro, Jimmy Johnson, Steve Swallow, Meshelle Ndegocello

equally, yes

all

if you mean more easily? Yes

in the right context yes

essential for all but the most gifted

anything above 5 sounds poor to me (subjective)

there are some good ones, but they don't have the same energy

subjective

ones that include some amplification of the air/wood vibrations tend to sound more natural, but it depends on the instrument and the player.

Double Bass 47 years, Bass Guitar 1964-80

No

Double Bass, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Leroy Vinegar, Scott LaFaro

They are essential in jazz/pop/rock. The influence of the bass guitar is now declining in jazz where the double bass has regained its supremacy.

Every bit of music with a bass line in it. No exceptions.

Your grammar is a bit wobbly but they can IMO find it easier to convert to bass guitar, which I think was the point of your question.

Yes, but sparingly!

Not necessary but you'll be a more complete, busy player if you do.

Whatever rocks your boat.

They have their place but are not a substitute

String bass: I like Acoustic Image/EA speaker separates. The Gallien-Krueger is a very effective and versatile combo.

Are there any? Seriously, a pickup does a good job of getting the sound of the bass through the mix and out there. Natural it ain't. Best 'natural' sound is to use a good microphone through front of house.

Bass Guitar: 20 years
String Bass: Aged 15-18, then a gap, now about 2 years. So 5 years in total?

[b]2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?[/b]
N/A

String: Scott LaFaro, Garcia-fons, Ron Carter, Rufus Reid. In a less musical sense, the guy that does contrabass conversations, Jason Heath, has done more than any other individual to advocate the double bass on the internet.
Electric: Wooten and Pastorious are probably the most innovative / original & therefore

Yes. I but I also think the Tuba, Trombone and Bassoon are important. I'm not sure what you're getting at with this question. If you're asking which I think has made more of an impact, in recent history, it'd have to be the electric bass.

Whatever inspires them.

One of the things I love about the bass is that it's an incredibly versatile instrument: from classical to Jazz to death metal. The electric bass is also a very young instrument in the grand scheme of things. I think it has some evolving to do.

There's a reason the bass Leo designed in the 50's is called the 'Precision'.

Yes, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in listening to, or performing.

Yes. I'm with Wooten on this one: It's important to be able to read, write and articulate in any communication medium, be it language or music. I can sight read English, I should be able to sight read music if I'm fluent.
(Actually I'm still on 'Dr. Zeuss' / 'The Red Pirate' music wise, but you get the drift).

[b]9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role? [/b]
You should ask this at extendedrangebassist.com.
This is a natural part of the instrument's evolution: as strings and amplifiers (?and musical taste?) have changed to deal with both the lower frequencies and a greater frequency range, it's natural that an instrument fills the void. Might as well be the bass. Where does the Chapman stick fit in to your question? It's not something that could have existed in the 50s because of the technology issues. Is it still a bass? Certainly it's bassists that seem to take to it.

I think they are an instrument in their own right. I don't think they'll ever replace the string bass in the same way that electric violins won't replace the violin. I wonder if there are violin forums that argue this?

Electric Bass: depends on the setting. I like an ampeg or GK 800RB into an 8x10.
String Bass: I use a bassbase (GK) into an accugroove tri-210 as it has a nice even frequency response.

I haven't yet heard a piezo that yields the true tone.

[b]1) How long have you been playing Bass Guitar/String Bass for or both?
[/b]
7 years on bass guitar and 3 years upright.

[b]2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?
[/b]
N/A

I think there's something to be gained from listening to everyone, but personal favourites are: Red Mitchell, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Chris Minh Doky, Scott LaFaro (String Bass), John Patitucci, Christian McBride (Both), Nathan East, Marcus Miller, Anthony Jackson, Paul McCartney, Richard Bona, Matt Garrison (Bass Guitar). These are just a few that spring to mind, but there are hundreds more!

Yes. I also think their roles as treble instruments are becoming more and more important with the advent of extended range bass guitars and the prevalence of thumb position playing on the string bass.

[b]5) What genres do you think are important for bass players to listen to?
[/b]
Best to see things as only two genres: Good Music and Bad Music, both of which depend very much on the listener. Good music (as defined by you) tells you what to play like and Bad music (again, defined by you) tells you what not to play like. This helps you find your own voice on the instrument, as everyone has a different idea of what's good and bad.

[b]6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?
[/b]
Probably yes, in terms of physical difficulties.

Yeah, but it ought to be used with taste, as with any other instrument.

[b]
8) Do you think it is important to learn to sight read?[/b]

Important depends on what each player wants out of the instrument. Errol Garner never learned to sight read and he did just fine. However, it's not exactly like you've got anything to lose by not learning to, and it opens up lots more offers of jobs.

They're fantastic, helping to redefine the role of the bass.

[b]10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?
[/b]
Maybe I'm too traditional, but I think that although they're much easier to transport they can never sound quite as beautiful.

Depends on each player, obviously. I would go for any combination of Markbass and Aguilar, as they're my preferred brands.

[b]
12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?[/b]

This is and incredibly individual choice, as it depends both on the bass and the player. I tend to favour pickups that go under the feet of the bridge, to get a good dollop of body resonance. Personally I prefer a pickup not to colour my sound, simply to keep it exactly the same but make it louder!

[quote name='jackp86' post='689806' date='Dec 20 2009, 03:09 PM']Hi

Jack

28 years electric 20+ double bass

Herbie Flowers

Yes

Anything & as much as possible.

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No substitute

Roland Cube for double & electric basses

David Gage 'The Realist' but only a microphone gets the real sound.[/quote]

Double bass 44 years bass guitar 41 years

DB John Pattitucci / Eddie Gomez / Rinat Ibragimov / Thomas Martin / Chris Lawrence / Stanley Clarke / Eberhard Weber

BG Laurence Cottle / Jaco P / Richard Bona / John Pattitucci / Stanley Clarke

There are several other bass register instruments - tuba / bassoon / bass trombone / contra-bassoon / cello / organ bass pedals / timpani
They all have there rightful place in music. I chose to play BG and DB because I love the sound and feel, not because of their importance within music.

There is no music you should ignore. One can learn something from every genre, every musician, even if its just that a particular music style is not to your taste.

I took up guitar at age 12, DB at age 15 and BG at age 19. They all inter-relate in terms of technique.

Of course. Listen to solos by Rinat Ibragimov or John Pattiticci for instance. I often play unaccompanied solos at concerts.

Absolutely vital - especially if you want to have a long term, lifelong career.

I play a five string BG almost exclusively these days. Many producers / arrangers specify this in their scores (ie notes lower than E)

There is no substitute for the double bass. An EUB is a great instrument, but its not a DB.

I use Gallien-Krueger.

I use an Underwood.