Why become a member? ×

Oh My Lord!

Out of sheer idle curiosity (since I wasn't planning to bid on this until he re-lists at a significantly lower figure, like $60k or something) was it normal to paint the entire neck socket like this?

Every other socket or socket photo I've seen has shown a fair amount of completely bare wood.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='680216' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:25 PM']You're going to have to explain that one... sorry![/quote]

IIRC there is a charge for each of the pics on the top left that you click on? Doing an image for the text means you can include pics as part of the image and not be charged.

For some businesses whose major sales income comes from ebay a couple of quid saved on each sale soon adds up.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='680237' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:44 PM']IIRC there is a charge for each of the pics on the top left that you click on? Doing an image for the text means you can include pics as part of the image and not be charged.

For some businesses whose major sales income comes from ebay a couple of quid saved on each sale soon adds up.[/quote]
...but if you're hosting the images yourself, you can include as many as you like in the main description with no charge.

Why the seller would go to the effort of typing a description as text, pasting it into an image, saving it out, hosting it and then linking to it is a mystery to me.

Unless being able to delete the image after the auction closes, and therefore all record of the text of the auction, is useful to them... :)

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='680255' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:59 PM']...but if you're hosting the images yourself, you can include as many as you like in the main description with no charge.[/quote]

yeah that's what I'm saying :)

look at the link in the OP, 1 picture of the bass in the top left of the listing.

All other pics within the text so no charge.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='680260' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:03 PM']yeah that's what I'm saying :)

look at the link in the OP, 1 picture of the bass in the top left of the listing.

All other pics within the text so no charge.[/quote]
Yeah, but... why didn't he just type the text into the auction description like everyone else does..? It doesn't cost anything..?

[quote name='OldGit' post='680064' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:35 AM']Price should make Beedster feel better :)[/quote]

Don't need to feel better thanks, quite happy as it is :rolleyes:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='680255' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:59 PM']Unless being able to delete the image after the auction closes, and therefore all record of the text of the auction, is useful to them... :lol:[/quote]

That's quite possibly the case. Revisions to the text in the text box (e.g. removal of the words 'all original') after bids have been received would be in ebay's records, at least for a while, whilst any revisions to the text in an image wouldn't be. Obviously this situation would be even worse after the sale? As is said above, it costs nothing to put text in the text box and then add all the pics as a single image, which begs the question of why they didn't......

[quote name='bassbloke' post='680279' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:25 PM']Numerous reasons.

Stop bots, etc... from trawling his web content
Stop people from copying his auction and using it for a fraudulent auction[/quote]

That could be the answer to the question I just asked :)

[quote name='bassbloke' post='680279' date='Dec 10 2009, 02:25 PM']Numerous reasons.

Stop bots, etc... from trawling his web content
Stop people from copying his auction and using it for a fraudulent auction[/quote]
Could be the answer, but if I was buying a bass like that, I'd want to make sure eBay / PayPal / Whoever had access to an audit trail of the description.

Just in case it were needed...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='680255' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:59 PM']...but if you're hosting the images yourself, you can include as many as you like in the main description with no charge.

Why the seller would go to the effort of typing a description as text, pasting it into an image, saving it out, hosting it and then linking to it is a mystery to me.

Unless being able to delete the image after the auction closes, and therefore all record of the text of the auction, is useful to them... :)[/quote]

A well reasoned argument there M. I have a feeling that 'IF' someone were to shell out that kind of moolah they may well want verification after they buy it (difficult to do 'before' you buy it if it is half way around the world) and questions may be asked at a later date, so the seller has covered his backside good if he can alter/delete the text or images after the auction has ended.

Not that I have that kind of money to spend but I'll bear that in mind next time I check out a sale... just how did you establish it was an image; pasted, saved and hosted off eba,y and not a straight text box with images inserted?

[quote name='aznbass' post='680439' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:32 PM']my godness, the shipping's a bit much, No?[/quote]

Not really if the bass is insured for the price asked....can you imagine sending that through a courier without it being insured :) Nervewracking to say the least.