Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever played in a Bon Jovi tribute?

Jamesemt

Been thinking of starting a Bon Jovi tribute for the last couple of years. Just wondered if anyone has played in one?

Not really looking to make money from it, but a lot of people know the big hits. Seems logical as I cut my bass playing teeth with Hugh's basslines and can probably play about 20 songs (LOL still can't play Keep The Faith to gigging standard without a pick...)

Also does a tribute have to look like the band in question? It's always struck me as being a bit sad, trying to ACTUALLY look like a famous artist...

Any thoughts? My current covers band is heading in a direction I don't particularly like.

I wouldn't say you have to exactly copy the look a la the tribute band in the movie Rockstar, but you'd definitely want to get a big bouffant 80's wig (unless your hair is naturally like that already!) and some leather trousers. Ooooh yeah, that's how we roll.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='676716' date='Dec 7 2009, 01:53 PM']Also does a tribute have to look like the band in question? It's always struck me as being a bit sad, trying to ACTUALLY look like a famous artist...

Any thoughts? My current covers band is heading in a direction I don't particularly like.[/quote]

Id say you dont have to look exactly the same, but you should try and make an effort to resemble him. If its the way you stand or the clothes you wear etc. I went to watch an AC/DC tribute act called something like Thunderstruck, everyone looked great, even though their "Angus" was a 6ft 3, 18 odd stone black dude. Because he dressed in what youd expect to see Angus in, and his playing style/stance was bang on, it didnt matter he looked nothing like Angus (physically), and went down great. So id say its not everything, but if you can do something that will remind people who your meant to be, all the better :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='677536' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:26 AM']I would LOVE to be in a Bon Jovi tribute band... but I think my boobs and vagina would put pay to that.[/quote]

Oh I don't know..... JBJ is well known to be a t*t and act like a c*nt at the best of times.... lol! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

The (19 year old) drummer in our band dreams of being in a Bon Jovi tribute band. We (the more elderly members) think it's because he's too young to realise how naff they were.

Whole Lotta Led is a top Led Zep tribute band and don't worry about looking like the real thing. The bass player does play keyboards and mandolin, however.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='686717' date='Dec 16 2009, 07:39 PM']I've never played in a Bon Jovi tribute, but I was fired from a covers band for playing Living On A Prayer [i]really[/i] badly. And, true, I was shocking.

But what really decided them was that my facial expression while playing it suggested I "lacked conviction".[/quote]Skank, if you're "half way there" AND lacking facial conviction, I'd be worried. :)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='676716' date='Dec 7 2009, 01:53 PM']Also does a tribute have to look like the band in question? It's always struck me as being a bit sad, trying to ACTUALLY look like a famous artist...

Any thoughts? My current covers band is heading in a direction I don't particularly like.[/quote]

I think a tribute act should look similar to the act they are a tribute to, a covers band is different. I don't suppose it really matters but if I knew a tribute act was playing I would expect more than just the songs. If it was a covers band down the local pub then it doesn't matter. If you were to do songs in that style and incorporate other similar acts then it wouldn't matter. That's just how I read things at least.

[quote name='Sean' post='687272' date='Dec 17 2009, 01:08 PM']We do three Bon Jovi songs and they always go down well. That said they are sung by a pretty girlie with a ridiculious boob job wearing fantasy cop gear (sometimes) and not a wannabe poodle-haired sweaty bloke. :)[/quote]

I'm sure I'm not alone in not quite understanding what you mean. I'm sure if you were to post a picture, it would help us all...