Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

Wow, this thread takes me back to the mid 80s.

Windows Arcade, Newcastle upon Tyne had a music department in the cellar of the shop. I remember when they first had this style bass guitar in. I'm sure they originally sold the Tune Bass Maniac then started selling Bass Collection. I think the first Bass Collection necks had Phenolic Resin finger boards.

A great bass, light as a feather with a fast neck.

Edited by 2elliot

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352853079' post='1868564']
My higher bass teacher at the school recomended I buy one, I went for a schector stilletoe, lovely bass but this dude did know what he was talking about.
[/quote]

I gigged a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 for a while - sounds great with the EMG's, bought a Custom 5 but couldn't get used to the narrow string spacing.

I've never tried a Japanese Bass Collection but I did buy a cheap Speakeasy copy on ebay a few years ago and the neck was great.

With a pickup upgrade it would have been a great backup bass.

• 2 weeks later...

OK New member here, first post and joined specifically for this thread. I have been looking for info on these basses for a while before stumbling across this place.

I have a Bass Collection that looks identical to the one in the pictures Bass Bunny posted on page 9, same colour, pickups, hardware etc.

I loved the weight, feel and sound of it, the only issue I had was it picking up buzz on stage and in rehearsals

I currently live in California and the bass is back in the UK but I will see if I can get the serial number next time I am back

Is there such a thing as a guide that tells you what key points to look at in order to identify which model you have?

Here is a picture of me rockin' out with it back in the early 90's

[quote name='Spiceboy' timestamp='1354137298' post='1882685']
Is there such a thing as a guide that tells you what key points to look at in order to identify which model you have?

[/quote]

Nope, or at least nothing that I could find in May 2007. ;)

This topic here on Basschat is now the best single source for information on these basses, to the best of my knowledge.

Welcome aboard mate.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting thread but missing 1 guitar, back in the very late 80's I owned a Bass Collection SB602 (the fretless version) which was my main gigging and recording bass I wore the fretboard out quite badly and ended up having an Ebony fretboard fitted by Pete Davis of Goddfellow fame, so if you've got that one I would like it back :-) Shortly after buying the 602 I was offered it's "sister" bass from the same source my 602 came from, I became the proud owner of the only SB801 that I have ever come across, it had a quilted maple top, through neck with a standard ebony board...it was a stunning guitar. Unfortunately I found that I tended to kick the G string off the side of the fretboard (poor technique me thinks now!) so it was sold on pretty quickly and replaced with a Tune Wood Bass that I also failed to get on with. I still have some photo's of it somewhere (just to prove it really did exist) if I can find them I will get them uploaded

Drooling over the Bass Collection love
When i first started playing I used to think (And still do) that they looked & played like kittens lol.

I still admire them even now.....what a cracking thread.

I now play an Ibanez SB which always reminds me of a Bass Collection bass.

• 1 month later...

This SB460 just sold on ebay - very tempted to put a bid on it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Collection-SB460-Custom-Bass-Guitar-EMG-PUPS-/170981887679?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27cf508ebf"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Collection-SB460-Custom-Bass-Guitar-EMG-PUPS-/170981887679?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27cf508ebf[/url]

Not convinced by this one. It has been messed about a fair bit (pickups & wiring, brass nut, missing trc), I'm not sure about the "brass truss rod bolt", he describes the switch as both "a bit dodgy" and "like new" requiring only "contact oil" to get it working properly ... in that case use some before listing it for sale!

In all original vgc this would be a decent price. Personally I'd give it a miss.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359543359' post='1956262']
Not convinced by this one. It has been messed about a fair bit (pickups & wiring, brass nut, missing trc), I'm not sure about the "brass truss rod bolt", he describes the switch as both "a bit dodgy" and "like new" requiring only "contact oil" to get it working properly ... in that case use some before listing it for sale!

In all original vgc this would be a decent price. Personally I'd give it a miss.
[/quote]

agreed - Happy Jack - as we know you are the global guru on Bass Collections.
I had a look at this and made a cheeky offer at a price I thought it was worth a punt on. It sold fairly soon after.
I wasn't happy with the swapped out pups and electrics - probably a very nice bass in there somewhere though.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359543359' post='1956262']
Not convinced by this one. It has been messed about a fair bit (pickups & wiring, brass nut, missing trc),
[/quote]

Wasn't the brass nut standard on the top end BC basses? I'm pretty sure the Pudak/Maple capped ones I drooled over in the Bass Centre had brass nuts.

*cue monkey joke*

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1359549734' post='1956378']
... as we know you are the global guru on Bass Collections.

[/quote]

No way! And no false modesty either ... there are plenty of people here on Basschat who know way more than me, I'm just the guy who started this thread. :blush:

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1359551509' post='1956434']
Wasn't the brass nut standard on the top end BC basses? I'm pretty sure the Pudak/Maple capped ones I drooled over in the Bass Centre had brass nuts.

[/quote]

The Rev is right. I can confirm that my SB465 has both a brass nut and a brass truss rod adjuster - haven't had the rod out so I don't know what the rest of it is made of.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359554733' post='1956515']
No way! And no false modesty either ... there are plenty of people here on Basschat who know way more than me, I'm just the guy who started this thread. :blush:
[/quote]

Fair enough Happy Jack - let's agree that you are a very wide man indeed then....