Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

[quote name='doctord' post='418008' date='Feb 23 2009, 11:11 PM']Anyway (cut to the chase) a few years after I bought it, I was changing the battery for the active electronics and noticed (for the first time :) ) a small switch on the PCB behind the block with the S/N (see pics - small white toggle switch).[/quote]

That's interesting. the SB 300 series Bass I bought last week has now turned out to be an SB405. I only found out when doing a Clean Up/Set-Up/Re String and needed to shim the neck. When I detached it there is a Lot Number and SB405 stamped in the neck pocket. I guess that is the definative way to identify the model, take the neck off.
I will have a look for the switch, but I am going to have to replace the pre-amp, (yes I know it's heresy, but I will keep the original in case i ever decide to sell. Very unlikely). The Bass/Treble controls do very little and when panned to the rear pick-up, there is very little output. I suspected it might be a pick-up problem so to attampt to prove it i metered them and they are identical. I then swopped the pick-up wires around on the Blend board and it behaves in exactly the same way, ie the blend seems to have a mind of it's own.
Anyway before I remove it, i will try and figure out what it does. Is there any way you could take a picture of all the connections on the board with the serial number? Mine has definately had some "re-wiring" and that may explain the problems i am experiencing.
The other bonus is a beautiful Brass Nut. Not sure if that is normal.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='710320' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:43 PM']... buying what I believe to be a Bass Collection SB 301 5 String . Active with 2 Jazz pick-ups ...[/quote]

Pretty sure that would be an SB325, then. I had one (from 1988) in natural finish. One of the lightest 5-string basses you'll ever find, and a surprisingly non-flabby B-string on it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='712855' date='Jan 14 2010, 06:37 PM']Pretty sure that would be an SB325, then. I had one (from 1988) in natural finish. One of the lightest 5-string basses you'll ever find, and a surprisingly non-flabby B-string on it.[/quote]

Turns out it is an SB405.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='712841' date='Jan 14 2010, 06:16 PM']That's interesting. the SB 300 series Bass I bought last week has now turned out to be an SB405. I only found out when doing a Clean Up/Set-Up/Re String and needed to shim the neck. When I detached it there is a Lot Number and SB405 stamped in the neck pocket. I guess that is the definative way to identify the model, take the neck off.
I will have a look for the switch, but I am going to have to replace the pre-amp, (yes I know it's heresy, but I will keep the original in case i ever decide to sell. Very unlikely). The Bass/Treble controls do very little and when panned to the rear pick-up, there is very little output. I suspected it might be a pick-up problem so to attampt to prove it i metered them and they are identical. I then swopped the pick-up wires around on the Blend board and it behaves in exactly the same way, ie the blend seems to have a mind of it's own.
Anyway before I remove it, i will try and figure out what it does. Is there any way you could take a picture of all the connections on the board with the serial number? Mine has definately had some "re-wiring" and that may explain the problems i am experiencing.
The other bonus is a beautiful Brass Nut. Not sure if that is normal.[/quote]

As I think I mentioned before, there is a little trim pot on the pre-amp which solved exactly this problem for me

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='713031' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:42 PM']As I think I mentioned before, there is a little trim pot on the pre-amp which solved exactly this problem for me[/quote]

Hiya, Where was that mentioned as it doesn't seem to be in this posting?
I think it may be something more sisnister as i would expect when swopping the "hot" leads over on the Blend control, it would change the way it works, ie Neck PU would become Bridge and Vice Versa. It doesn't. I have just finished putting it back together and am leaving the neck to settle overnight after a truss rod tweak. I will be at it again tomorrow and will have a look.
Cheers,
Stuart

[quote name='doctord' post='418008' date='Feb 23 2009, 11:11 PM']So - can anyone here tell me what the switch does / what it's for or point me in the right direction? (Is it simply an "active/passive" switch - like SiBob's post). Apologies if this is a dumb question.[/quote]

Hi doctord,
Finished putting mine back together again today so checked the dip Switch out. It seems to be a simple "gain" switch. In th up position the pre-amp has more gain than in the down position. Nothing else seems to be affected. It isn't an active/passive switch as I also removed the battery whilst switching and it is completely dead.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='712841' date='Jan 14 2010, 06:16 PM']The other bonus is a beautiful Brass Nut. Not sure if that is normal.[/quote]

I think so, on the 325 series and up. My fretless has one, my 310 doesn't.

Of course, I refuse to believe that your bass exists without PICTURES!!!!

[quote name='BassBunny' post='712841' date='Jan 14 2010, 07:16 PM']That's interesting. the SB 300 series Bass I bought last week has now turned out to be an SB405. I only found out when doing a Clean Up/Set-Up/Re String and needed to shim the neck. When I detached it there is a Lot Number and SB405 stamped in the neck pocket. I guess that is the definative way to identify the model, take the neck off.
The other bonus is a beautiful Brass Nut. Not sure if that is normal.[/quote]
I'm also thinking about changing the preamp because I experience the same "no action" with the bass and trebele pots. Actually, the treble pot only add hiss on the the output. I haven't made up my mind yet for its replacement. Do you already knkow what you'll go for?

And yep, I have a brass (unglued) nut on mine too, the hardware in very well on this bass.

[quote name='Néal Zheimer' post='714806' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:30 PM']I'm also thinking about changing the preamp because I experience the same "no action" with the bass and trebele pots. Actually, the treble pot only add hiss on the the output. I haven't made up my mind yet for its replacement. Do you already knkow what you'll go for?

And yep, I have a brass (unglued) nut on mine too, the hardware in very well on this bass.[/quote]
i've already bought an Artec 3 Band Eq and it's going to be fitted this week-end. It's the one with a mid-freq shift.
It's the 4 pot version here. [url="http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html"]http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html[/url]
I've used the 2 band version before and am very impressed.

[quote name='pete.young' post='714215' date='Jan 15 2010, 07:28 PM']I think so, on the 325 series and up. My fretless has one, my 310 doesn't.

Of course, I refuse to believe that your bass exists without PICTURES!!!![/quote]
Here you go Pete. The proof.
[attachment=40339:BassCollection.JPG][attachment=40340:BassCollection1.JPG]

I got the opportunity to try it properly this afternoon. Pal of mine was auditioning a Drummer and was short of Bass. I was absolutely astonished. Played the first hour or so with my G&L and than switched to the Bass Collection, (mainly to make sure nothing was amiss after taking it apart). What a gorgeous sounding bass, light as a feather and one of the quickest necks I have played. OK the electronics are not that good and i suspect that may be due to human intervention. so an Artec 3 band pre-amp is going in Tomorrow or Monday and i will be very surprised if this does not end up as a keeper.
Oh the Truss Rod cover hasn't been put back yet as i have just finished setting the relief on the neck.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='715044' date='Jan 16 2010, 05:57 PM']If you don't keep it all-original you could easily knock £50 off the resale value ...

:)[/quote]

Obviously I am keeping the original "guts", but they are pretty US as they are. Can always put them back if I'm short of £50 :rolleyes: . Can't see it being sold though. Pretty pointless as i only paid £165 for it. It's for gigging and initial impressions are that it is one amazing Bass. I was speaking to Mike Walsh, (Zoot Bass), about them this morning. Nanyo used to build Zoot Basses for Mike and he gave me some history about the company.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' post='715141' date='Jan 16 2010, 07:50 PM']Nanyo used to build Zoot Basses for Mike and he gave me some history about the company.[/quote]

This thread seems to have become one of the chief sources on the web for information about SGC Nanyo basses - if you have something to add, then please just go ahead and add it!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='715328' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:50 PM']This thread seems to have become one of the chief sources on the web for information about SGC Nanyo basses - if you have something to add, then please just go ahead and add it![/quote]

Hi Jack, I will check I have the details correct with Mike and then add.

Put the new Pre-Amp in today and changed the Jack as well, (that was a bit iffy as well). What a transformation. Both pick-ups are strong a clear, and the mid control adds something previously missing. Obviously as the original Bass/Treble did sod all it is difficult for me to say what the improvement is in that area, suffice to say I now have a useful +/- 12 DB of Bass/Treble and Mid with a Mid Freq control.
Apart from having to enlarge 2 of the Pot Holes,!!!!!, to take the stacked controls, a relatively simpe job. I need to check how the wires to the blend control SHOULD be wired as I am pretty sure there has been some butchery here in the past.
Anyone fancy having a look when they nextt change the battery, I would really appreciate it.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='716846' date='Jan 18 2010, 05:54 PM']Put the new Pre-Amp in today and changed the Jack as well, (that was a bit iffy as well).[/quote]

Some of them can be iffy, those Jacks :)

I've got to change the blend pot on my SB310 so I'll have a look then. I've just bought an SB460, picking it up on Wednesday so I'll get the camera out!

• 2 weeks later...

So I found an, albeit blurred, photo of me playing my Bass Collection, perhaps about 6 years ago or so.
As described before, I think it was a 355?!. 5 String, Trans Purple, soapbar pickups, 2 band EQ, active/passive!
Really solid bass.

[url="http://img693.imageshack.us/i/basscollection.jpg/"][/url]

Si

I've just picked my 460 up from Paul Glazebrook who as usual has done an excellent job of sorting the action, polishing the frets and generally setting it up nicely. I'm overjoyed - so playable and just a nice object to have around. The neck pickup makes a rich powerful dark sound with a decent amount of punch, but the signal from the bridge pickup seems weak in comparison. Not sure why this might be, any suggestions welcomed.

Here's a shot inside the control cavity, the blend pot is top centre. Is this any help?

Here are a couple of pictures, not very good quality but you get the general idea.

Mods, if you're reading this please can we have this thread re-stickied? Besides being as Jack said one of the major sources of information on the net for SGC Nanyo basses, it attracts a steady stream of new recruits to the site and has more than 14,500 viewings!

[quote name='pete.young' post='730125' date='Jan 30 2010, 09:27 PM']The neck pickup makes a rich powerful dark sound with a decent amount of punch, but the signal from the bridge pickup seems weak in comparison. Not sure why this might be, any suggestions welcomed.[/quote]

Pete, my 405 was exactly the same, (and the Bass/Treble did sod all). Since putting the Artec 3 Band eq in it, the difference is stunning. Both pick-ups have the same volume and having controls that work is novelty. :)

[quote name='Néal Zheimer' post='726283' date='Jan 27 2010, 01:14 PM']Hi Sibob!

Looks like [url="http://img686.imageshack.us/g/img0125w.jpg/"]mine[/url] doesn't she?[/quote]

Kinda, although mine had the 2 soapbar pickups as opposed to the P/J config, the active/passive switch and a gloss finish.
:)

Si

[quote name='BassBunny' post='730151' date='Jan 30 2010, 10:14 PM']Pete, my 405 was exactly the same, (and the Bass/Treble did sod all). Since putting the Artec 3 Band eq in it, the difference is stunning. Both pick-ups have the same volume and having controls that work is novelty. :)[/quote]
Sounds like the way to go. Can you recommend a supplier, and what did you do about knobs for the concentric pots?