Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='298551' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:15 PM']Must admit did a double take then - I used to keep mine in an Ibanez case as well! Its difficult to price and I dont understand how you bought something that was made in 1995 new a couple of years ago - was it hanging on the shop wall for 10 years?

The £450 paid above was absolutely top dollar and I would expect to get considerably less unless you are very lucky.[/quote]

Yes it was in a shop for that long, so I`m told, unless he bought it in new from somewhere else....in fact I feel ripped because the guy who owns the shop is a ...well kinda like a friend. Someone I know very well and have done work for at a discount rate (I feel a rage coming on)

But I was hoping for a possible £200. Am I being too optimistic?

Edited by BassBum

re the Godlyke part of the SGC/Nanyo story,I believe the Godlyke design resulted from a competition run by the bassist magazine a fair number of years back where the winner had their bass made by SGC Nanyo. someone correct me if I'm wrong on this

there are similiarities,the flat wide neck on the 5 reminds me of the bass collection 5 strings,heres the backplate of my Disciple 5. its very like the bass collections

I lam quite taken with my 2 Godlykes! The Disciple 5 is broadly similiar to the older higher end Bass Collections
The higher spec'd Deity fretless (set neck/ebony board/figured maple top) is a few notches up from the Disciple even though both have the same 3 band 18v circuit and MM/J pups.Both feel and play top class,the Deity particuarly so

both of mine came from Eubassix.these are his pics when he sold them.

for anyone interested,Godlyke are selling off the last Disciple 5 they have. All in it would work out at £550ish incl VAT and Duty and is a lot of new bass for that money.I've owned my Disciple 6 months and it easily holds its own with my Spector Euros and Stingray 5. In fact its the best sounding and playing of the lot.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GODLYKE-DISCIPLE-5-HI-END-HANDMADE-BOUTIQUE-BASS-NEW_W0QQitemZ120313288179QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120313288179&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GODLYKE-DISCIPLE-5-H...p3286.m63.l1177[/url]

cheers

Keir

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='BassBum' post='299001' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:56 PM']Yes it was in a shop for that long, so I`m told, unless he bought it in new from somewhere else....in fact I feel ripped because the guy who owns the shop is a ...well kinda like a friend. Someone I know very well and have done work for at a discount rate (I feel a rage coming on)

But I was hoping for a possible £200. Am I being too optimistic?[/quote]
Times are hard but thats not unreasonable. Its gonna be in a lot better nick than mine that had a damn good thrashing for 10 years before I retired it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBum' post='299001' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:56 PM']Yes it was in a shop for that long, so I`m told, unless he bought it in new from somewhere else....in fact I feel ripped because the guy who owns the shop is a ...well kinda like a friend. Someone I know very well and have done work for at a discount rate (I feel a rage coming on)

But I was hoping for a possible £200. Am I being too optimistic?[/quote]

Ah well. Managed a measly £160.00 for the old friend. I really wish I could have kept it.

Never mind.... a new Warwick Streamer $$ to ease the sorrow.......whoopeeeeee!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Had a 301 as my first (sort of) real bass. Great player for small hands. Seem to remember they were all based on the same design as the Jap Tune basses but a third of the price. Only sold it as it was a bit too Aswad/ Duran looking. ie, pink sparkle.

Edited by leschirons

Can anyone help me identify this one and help me get an idea as to how much it should cost, please?
I've played on a bass that I borrowed from a frien for a couple of years now and I don't know anything about other basses, so please give me as detailed info as you care to.
Thx

[attachment=16888:57462889...8_6552_3.jpg]

PS. I hope I attatched the picture correctly. And I'm sorry to say that I haven't got a better one.

The 19th fret..? Looks OK if you expand the pic.

Every so often I consider selling my SB-301 -

- but play it 'one last time' and remember why I bought her in the 1st place. As a Guitard with delusions of adequacy, she suits me perfectly; small body, light weight, fantastic tone.

In fact, being more versatile, she sees more action than my '72 P..! Must change the knobs though, it's the one original feaure that I really don't like.

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='347064' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:45 AM']I thought that the Pups may not be original at first but, on closer inspection, they both have remnants of the SGC logo on them.

This, and the fact that the serial number on the back of the control plate is '88xxxx', suggests an early model..?

Glad to see we've revived this thread...[/quote]

The early SB's used very poor ink/paint on the pickups and the SGC rapidly became very faint.

The 88 means - as you'd expect - made in 1988, so it's one of the very early ones.

Thanks for your replies, Ferret and Jack. I've now learned that the bass I asked about is an SB301. Can any of you guys be of further assistance and tell me how much I should be prepared to pay for it? I live in Denmark so I expect the price to be a little bit higher than what it would be in the UK (everything is a bit more expensive here - including our VAT). What he is asking - and we haven't started haggling yet - is the equivalent of 220 £. Your help is greatly appreciated since I know nothing of basses,except I like the look of this one and it seems to me that others who have had basses like it are pleased with them:-)
[attachment=16965:57462889...8_6552_3.jpg]

[quote name='cranch' post='348373' date='Dec 8 2008, 09:51 AM']Can any of you guys be of further assistance and tell me how much I should be prepared to pay for it? I live in Denmark so I expect the price to be a little bit higher than what it would be in the UK.[/quote]

In your position, I would not buy that bass. You will be paying far too much for the least-attractive model in the range.

The whole SGC range is ridiculously under-priced these days, so you can get MUCH better bargains than a late-model SB301.

You should watch UK eBay and wait for a decent, early SB320 to come up for sale. Then buy it.

You should pay less than £200 for it and even with the shipping cost to Denmark you'll get a much better bass for very little extra money. You also get the benefit of the current exchange rate!

Alternatively, I'm under huge pressure to reduce the number of basses I have. For £200 (plus shipping) I'll happily sell you either my SB325 (a 5-string 320) or my SB330 (a fretless 320). Photos available if you want them.

Good luck.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='349641' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:58 PM']In your position, I would not buy that bass. You will be paying far too much for the least-attractive model in the range.

The whole SGC range is ridiculously under-priced these days, so you can get MUCH better bargains than a late-model SB301.

You should watch UK eBay and wait for a decent, early SB320 to come up for sale. Then buy it.

You should pay less than £200 for it and even with the shipping cost to Denmark you'll get a much better bass for very little extra money. You also get the benefit of the current exchange rate!

Alternatively, I'm under huge pressure to reduce the number of basses I have. For £200 (plus shipping) I'll happily sell you either my SB325 (a 5-string 320) or my SB330 (a fretless 320). Photos available if you want them.

Good luck.[/quote]

Once again, thanks for your help. I'm not going to buy the 301 after what you've told me. As to the basses that you have for sale, they are obviously better deals (though I don't know how much shipping would be). At present, I have neither the funds nor a [i]pressing[/i] need for a new bass; I just thought that this one looked good and that I'd buy it if I was looking at a good deal. However, In three months or so I will need a new bass and I'll have the money for one, so if you haven't sold yours by then, we should talk some more. I'd like to see photos of them, in any case.
BTW. Are the later models generally better and more expensive or is it the other way round?

Best regards.

I have Greenking's old SB320, which is a honey sunburst colour and has gold hardware with the Gotoh tuners. It has a P/J pickup configuration and says SGC on the pickups and SGC Nanyo Bass Collection on the battery cover. The serial number is also a sticker on the battery cover and not inside the cover. It might be on the cover inside also but I have not looked to be honest. The serial number is 953293 so I guess the 95 means made in 95. The 32 means its a 320 so what does the 93 stand for??

Here is a picture of it with my other toys.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='351372' date='Dec 10 2008, 11:50 PM']The serial number is 953293 so I guess the 95 means made in 95. The 32 means its a 320 so what does the 93 stand for??[/quote]

The 95 means 1995, yes, but the 32 is merely a coincidence. Yours was probably the 3293rd bass they made in 1995.

My SB325 is S/N 883357 and my SB330 is S/N 951938.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='352267' date='Dec 11 2008, 11:11 PM']The 95 means 1995, yes, but the 32 is merely a coincidence. Yours was probably the 3293rd bass they made in 1995.

My SB325 is S/N 883357 and my SB330 is S/N 951938.[/quote]

Ah ok, thank you for the help.

I kinda wish I still had my trans purple SB-335
Loved that Bass, was solid as a rock! Only sold it because I moved away from 5'ers, I'm still on 4's now, but would be nice to have that 5 back :)

I sold it to someone on BassWorld I think, so if anyone has a SGC-Nanyo trans purple 5'er with soap bars and active/passive switch. Lemme know! lol

Si