Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

Oh so it is. The scale length has to fit in with the fret lengths though and has nothing to do with the adjustability of the saddle. The length from the nut to the twelfth 'fret' on my fretless bass is 16 12/16 inches. By the maths I learnt at school that doubles to 33 1/2 inches.

OK, fair enough. Apologies for being flippant, I should have just got the tape measure out rather than trying to be clever. Blame it on the shiraz!

The distance from the nut to the string saddle break point on the 'G' of my factory fretless SB320 is exactly 34 inches, and the intonation is spot on. The saddle is almost as far 'forward' (ie towards the pickups) as it will go.

The distance from the nut to the centre-line of the two dot position markers at the 12th fret is 17".

Could it be that the fret markers on your bass are in the correct position for a fretted fingerboard? On my fretted SB310, it's 16.5 inches from nut to the centre-line of the dot markers, 16 3/4 inch to the furthest one from the nut.

Thanks for your detailed reply, Pete.

Interesting. I have just checked measurements on another unmarked fretless board. From nut to centre of the two dots at the 12th is 17 inches bang on. To the centre of the two dots on my SB301 is the stated 16 12/16 (16 3/4) inches. It would explain why, before the rebuild started, with my standard fingering, above twelfth was not intonated properly. I had to compensate. The old bridge measured at a 34 inch scale.

I guess you have to decide which is more important: having a 33.5" bass with the markers in the right place, or a 34" with them slightly out of line.

I suspect the difference between 33.5 and 34 isn't going to be much tonally or in terms of string tension, and there are no intonation issues with a fretless (other than those introduced by the player!)

As you say Pete, there isn't going to be much difference. Think I'll go with the 33.5 inches. It'll give a bit more adjustment with the saddles. I have anough trouble with my own intonation without the bass being out too. :D[size=4] [/size]

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Q.C was an issue on the original Japanese built basses… these instruments are exquisitely crafted, beautifully balanced and equipped with top-notch hardware. I could run a tape measure over either of these if you want.

Both basses were produced in 1995 and feature in a catalogue from that period.

The lined fretless is strung with flats and cops a nice John Giblin tone on our band’s Kate Bush cover. It’s lightweight and faultless action make it a joy to play. Japanese ash body, maple neck, rosewood board, gold plated Gotoh bridge and tuners. The finish is listed as transparent black.

The five string fretted has an arrow straight neck with buzz-free, low action. Light weight, exotic wood topped maple body, maple neck, ebony board with gold plated Gotoh bridge and tuners. It has a natural oil finish and was the top-of-the-range fiver from SGC Nanyo. I only acquired this bass recently as my first dabble with five strings. I’ve since found that the 19mm string spacing is too wide for me so I’m open to sensible offers if anyone is interested. PM me for more details if you think it may be for you.

Cheers

[attachment=140798:SGC_Nanyo.jpg]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just bought myself another Bass Collection. It was on eBay and didn't get a bid the 3 times it was listed. As it was local, I couldn't refuse. Bit of a mystery though. The serial number has rubbed off but a previous owner took the trouble to write it on the back of the control cavity cover. S/N is 000066, so that would put it it as a 2000 build and not one of the Japenese ones.
Build quality is however every bit as good as my 1988 one. It weighs the same, within an ounce or so but no sign of where it was built. The bridge is a high-mass one, (just like a Gotoh 201), and although the machine heads are not stamped with Gotoh, they are identical to the ones on my 88 version. The pick-ups have SGC stamped on them. Completely different pre-amp to the 88, although equally rubbish and has exactly the same "blend" problem as my other Bass Collection had. All in all made up with the deal. It is absolutely mint and I got it with a brand new Gig-Bag, Guitar Stand, Strap and Dunlop Straplocks, so taking that into account, the bass owes me less than £100. Result.
Here it is:
[attachment=150603:Bass Collection K1.JPG][attachment=150604:Bass Collection K2.JPG][attachment=150605:Bass Collection K3.JPG][attachment=150606:Bass Collection K4.JPG]

Edited by BassBunny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello! I am new here and recently found this thread. I bought my Bass Collection in 1986 in Scranton, PA, USA distributed by Meisel Music NJ. I have been trying to find a model number but none exists on the bass and I'm not inclined to remove the neck. It has a 5 digit serial number 15541. It has see-through red paint, black fingerboard with no wood pores, black hardware and active electronics. The best guess is SB310? I lost the truss rod cover twenty-some years ago, but at the truss-rod it is written "STR".

I appreciate any help. Thank you. I don't know how to post a photo to the forum, so I hope links to facebook are ok.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434238029607&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434238029607&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater[/url]
[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434238709624&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434238709624&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater[/url]
[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434239069633&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434239069633&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater[/url]
[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434238789626&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203434238789626&set=pcb.10152627837001405&type=1&theater[/url]

Interesting. Maybe it's a trick of the light but the pickups appear to be mis-matched. Are they actually different? And what does it say on them?

The back cover is unlike those I've seen before, that battery-holder may be a retro-fit (and quite a good one too), and the S/N is nothing like those originally used by SGC Nanyo in their first 10-year incarnation.

Thank you.

The pickups are the original P/J and say SGC vertically on the side, it's just worn off. The battery holder was on the bass new. Everything on the bass is original as it was new. I'm the first and only owner. Two of these came to our local music store in 1986. I bought this one and my good friend bought the other one - a white fretless. The truss-rod cover did say Bass Collection but was lost.

Edited by Will_M

I'm sitting here with my 1995 SB320 on my lap.

I was at work when I replied earlier and relying on memory. Bad idea.

I thought that the main differences between it and yours were entirely to do with that battery cover/holder and the serial number.

In fact, I've just realised that you seem to have an ebony board on there whereas mine is rosewood, and your bridge is completely different from mine.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/SGC%20Nanyo%20Bass%20Collection%20SB320

Yours having been bought new it can't have been modified, so I'm even more intrigued than before.

Now would probably be a good time to remind everyone that, despite starting this topic (back in 2006 on a different forum ... eek!), I'm not actually an internationally-renowned expert on the subject, I'm just another enthusiast for the brand.

Think I'll take a back seat and wait for someone else to contribute. :)

Lovely looking bass, by the way. Do you recall how much you paid for it in 1986?

Thanks Jack.

Your photobucket link was private, so I couldn't see your bass photo. I paid less than list/retail for the bass because I worked for the in-house resident luthier and was good friends with everyone at the store. I paid like $500. It wasn't even in the store for 2 days before I bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Will_M' timestamp='1410541835' post='2550621']
Thank you.

The pickups are the original P/J and say SGC vertically on the side, it's just worn off. The battery holder was on the bass new. Everything on the bass is original as it was new. I'm the first and only owner. Two of these came to our local music store in 1986. I bought this one and my good friend bought the other one - a white fretless. The truss-rod cover did say Bass Collection but was lost.
[/quote]

Hello Will M - welcome to the thread.

Your bass looks very much like mine that I sold - link here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237452-bass-collection-sgc-nanyo-sb301-mij-upgraded-electrics/page__p__2543421__hl__nanyo__fromsearch__1#entry2543421"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2543421[/url]

Although it doesn't look like it in the pictures, in the flesh the finish of the bass is almost identical to yours
I sold that bass a couple of years ago - from memory the serial number dates it to 1991 - I also have a pink SGC Nanyo that dates to 1988.
Having had a number of SGC Nanyo basses over the years, the 1988 one is the earliest one that I've had.

From memory of magazines and shops I only really remember them becoming available around 1994 in the UK, that seems to be the time of reviews in bass mags (that I still have) from that time, also fits in to my thinking back of this time.

Maybe the Nanyo's were released into the USA first (would make sense as a larger market) - mid 1980's, and then into Europe / UK later on mid 1990's and the design, spec etc was refined over time.

I miss my old SGC Nanyo's and am hankering to pick up another...maybe a nice fretless.

EDIT: Just reading back a little, seems there are other UK Nanyo's dating to 1988 ish, - I will have to dig out the old mags as I'm fairly sure those dated to 1994 ish have SGC Nanyo's reviewed, very favourably, as being new products into the market.

Edited by bagsieblue