Why become a member? ×

Basswood

ianwild16

[quote name='ianwild16' post='674543' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:13 PM']Is there a 'basswood' tree? or is it a fancy name for chipboard?
the squiers are made out of this...which other guitars are?[/quote]

I was looking at this when we were talking about pine basses a few weeks back. On this side of the pond we call it [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia"]lime[/url] (noting to do with the green fruit) It has a [url="http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html"]density similar to that of pine.[/url] thats as far as I got with it. :)

I've had a precision made of basswood (many japanese fenders are basswood) and yeah my bongo is basswood.

There's nothing wrong with it, like so many people will tell you there is. My P sounded sublime and my Bongo...well sounds like a Bongo, freakin awesome.

It's just not an attractive wood, you won't see it on any natural finished basses, possibly on cheaper trans finish basses.

Some manufacturers (including EBMM) use basswood as the main wood on guitars, but use mahogany 'tone blocks' or other woods to alter the tone.

Edited by Duarte

Basswood has often been described as having a mid emphasis and poor lows. Its popular with Ibanez because they use it a lot in their guitars. The lack of lows can be compensated for with pickup design but it takes a bit more focus on the design to come up with a good sounding instrument.

[quote name='Sibob' post='674557' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:27 PM']As I mentioned in your Squier post, check out the MusicMan Bongo's for a 'higher end' bass made from Basswood.
A lot of Ibanez Guitars also use it as body wood, including a lot of the Prestige range

Si[/quote]

sorry.....saw your reply to my original post after i'd started this post....soz!

[quote name='King Tut' post='674670' date='Dec 5 2009, 02:15 AM']My favourite bass is a CIJ Jazz made of basswood. It's sunburst and not the prettiest but has a lovely tone to it. Got rid of it once but managed to track it down and got it back![/quote]

Is that the one you sold/traded to Deaver that I bought off him then swapped with you for the Ibby SR900 , if so then im glad your enjoying the bass , funny how things work out sometimes :)

[quote name='markdavid' post='674676' date='Dec 5 2009, 02:32 AM']Is that the one you sold/traded to Deaver that I bought off him then swapped with you for the Ibby SR900 , if so then im glad your enjoying the bass , funny how things work out sometimes :)[/quote]

That is indeed the one! You getting on with the Ibby?