Why become a member? ×

****SOLD**** 1959 P Bass "Feeler" refin otherwise original

sixshooter

I am selling off a large number of my Bass and Guitars and thinking I may want to part with my 59P bass. I bought this stripped a couple of years ago and decided it would not devalue it anymore to get an appropriate refin done on it, after all the damage to the price had already been done and it could be reversed.

So before even thinking of evil bay I though I would ask is there anyone seriously interested in a fantastic 59 with what looks to be an original case?

This Bass has had real use for what looks like 50 years! no relic will even come close, you can see the thumb ware on my avatar above the E string, all original ware has been left exposed in the refin, the neck has years of dirt and sweat on it, there is the usual split by the E tuner that in no way effects the Bass but is seen on many of this age.

The sound is pure "P" with original pickups.

A couple of Basschatters had a chance to play this a year ago at the Guildford Bass Bash.

So do I sell it or do I keep it?

Let me know what you think and if you are interested what you would be willing to pay, (yes I know that I will get the usual responses to that one, but its all part of the Bass Chat family I have grown so fond of :) ).

Edited by sixshooter

Wow! What an amazing instrument to see for sale on Basschat.

These questions will get asked sooner or later, so I might as well throw them up now.

What's the situation with all the hardware? Is it all original, or which parts have been replaced?

Are there any routs or repairs on the instrument? Other than the refin, of course.

Do you have any other pictures?

Other than that ..... um, wow!!

Hi Steve. I'm assuming that all else is original? If so then if you don't have to sell I wouldn't. This isn't a gigging bass anymore, it's an appreciating asset. When all the original 59's have reached really stupid money the prices of refinished 59's will start to rise. That'll be the time you'll wish you still owned this bass.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='666027' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:09 AM']Wow! What an amazing instrument to see for sale on Basschat.

These questions will get asked sooner or later, so I might as well throw them up now.

What's the situation with all the hardware? Is it all original, or which parts have been replaced?

Are there any routs or repairs on the instrument? Other than the refin, of course.

Do you have any other pictures?

Other than that ..... um, wow!![/quote]

From memory possibly one of the screws that adjusts the bridge height may have been changed, other than that I think all else is original on the hardware front, correct pot dates, original screening plate, no routs or repairs other than the usual tip of the scratch plate has been repaired, but it does not notice, I will get some pictures up later.

regards Steve

[quote name='chris_b' post='666056' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:37 AM']Hi Steve. I'm assuming that all else is original? If so then if you don't have to sell I wouldn't. This isn't a gigging bass anymore, it's an appreciating asset. When all the original 59's have reached really stupid money the prices of refinished 59's will start to rise. That'll be the time you'll wish you still owned this bass.[/quote]

Thats why its a feeler, I know that this will go for big money in the future, if I did sell it I will make some money on it because I bought it for a good price, but I feel that having got to 50+ guitars and Basses I now want to keep the ones that I want to play, and some that I have attachment to.

Because it sits in its case it does not fall into either category, and yes I am sure I will regret selling it if I do.

[quote name='markorbit' post='666166' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:50 PM']I could be seriously interested if it is a 'player'. I'm really not interested in having it just for the sake of owning a vintage P... but a player... perhaps. Looking forward to the pics.[/quote]

This Bass is a player, it sounds great. I think it depends where you want to play it, not for the local jam session, but I have used it at reasonable gigs, and based on the years of ware on it I would suggest that it has been a gigging bass, not found under uncle's bed!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='666719' date='Nov 26 2009, 08:48 PM']I reckon that's had a re-fret - so there's 5 grand off it's price right there. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Only 5k! :)

I cannot imagine that it would have this much play ware and not had a refret at some time, although if it has its been done by someone who knows their stuff

[attachment=37136:DSC02376.JPG]

[attachment=37137:DSC02360.JPG]

:) now, anyone who knows me, knows that P's ain't my tankard of chardonnay, but JeZuS that's BEAUTIFUL! The burst, the dark dark DARK board, the neckware, the body mojo, GAH! it's like deciding what you like best about a kingsized bed with Angelina Jolie, Keira Knightly, Olivia Wilde and Scarlet Johanson, all wearing nothing but lashings of whipped cream and a 'come hither' look!

mmmmm....[s]whipped cream[/s] mojo'd P *drool*

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='666867' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:07 PM']:rolleyes: now, anyone who knows me, knows that P's ain't my tankard of chardonnay, but JeZuS that's BEAUTIFUL! The burst, the dark dark DARK board, the neckware, the body mojo, GAH! it's like deciding what you like best about a kingsized bed with Angelina Jolie, Keira Knightly, Olivia Wilde and Scarlet Johanson, all wearing nothing but lashings of whipped cream and a 'come hither' look!

mmmmm....[s]whipped cream[/s] mojo'd P *drool*[/quote]

I guess you like it then! and who says refin's should not be done.... :)