Why become a member? ×

****SOLD**** 1959 P Bass "Feeler" refin otherwise original

sixshooter

If only my paint work was original and my name was Greg Lake!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-1959-PRECISION-BASS-ALL-ORIGINAL-EX-GREG-LAKE_W0QQitemZ390124025540QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5ad53436c4"]59 P Bass[/url]

Still I am only looking for half that starting price!

Steve is a diamond to deal with. I played his 59 Precision this evening while picking up a Steinberger double neck. If you've ever wanted a living, breathing amazing Fender Precision which is like your favourite tree in the park, you've found one! It is stunning! It plays so smoothly, the tone is deep and growly and with so much bite on tap, even with the flats he has on it. It's a Motown Reggae monster!

He's a lovely bloke and you'll have no issues doing business with him. I played one of his amazing Strats too, it is by far the nicest Strat I have played and I was a bit of a Strat head until recently. Steve knows what he's talking about, his knowledge is DEEP.

Cheers Steve smile.gif

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Sibob' post='915731' date='Aug 5 2010, 11:02 AM']This is a beauty of a bass, I nearly had it but life got in the way :).
But yeah, stunner, and Steve is a great guy!

Si[/quote]

Thanks Si, its spent another year in its case and not seen light of day, such a shame as it is crying out to be played!

My thought exactly, the point about this Bass is it is a player! you just have to look at the neck and body, this Bass did not live its first 40+ years in a case under a bed the wear is genuine and the re-fin was done around the wear by a very skillfull luthier.

Every now and then I offer it for sale, someone will buy this and enjoy it at some point in time, until then I will take it out of its case every now and then and use it either at home or at very special gigs, (which now days get less and less :) )

I have been asked a number of questions about this bass so here are the answers:

Weight is 9lbs 2ozs
Nut Width 1 3/4 inches
Not good at describing the neck profile, but it is slim rather than chunky, I would say nothing like a 70's neck.
Date is March 59

Hope this helps

[quote name='sixshooter' post='916353' date='Aug 5 2010, 08:11 PM']I have been asked a number of questions about this bass so here are the answers:

Weight is 9lbs 2ozs
Nut Width 1 3/4 inches
Not good at describing the neck profile, but it is slim rather than chunky, I would say nothing like a 70's neck.
Date is March 59

Hope this helps[/quote]

If it's an early '59 should it not have an anodized pickguard?

I thought the tort guards didn't come out until mid/end of '59?

Mind you - who knows with Fender's general dating policy, could be that some parts are early in the year and others later, lol.

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='916369' date='Aug 5 2010, 08:31 PM']If it's an early '59 should it not have an anodized pickguard?

I thought the tort guards didn't come out until mid/end of '59?

Mind you - who knows with Fender's general dating policy, could be that some parts are early in the year and others later, lol.[/quote]

I have not seen a ref to when in 59 the tort came in, in the Fender Bass book it just says in 59 that the gold anodized pickguard was replaced. On my Custom Shop 59 I do have a gold one.

Hi there , I am interested in the '59 , and may soon be in a position to get said 4K.
I am new to Basschat , but have been playing/collecting for 28 years ( mainly Precisions + Strats ) .
I live on the Isle of Wight , do you have any more pictures of bass ?
Many thanks for your time .
Martin.

[quote name='martin8708' post='917118' date='Aug 6 2010, 04:37 PM']Hi there , I am interested in the '59 , and may soon be in a position to get said 4K.
I am new to Basschat , but have been playing/collecting for 28 years ( mainly Precisions + Strats ) .
I live on the Isle of Wight , do you have any more pictures of bass ?
Many thanks for your time .
Martin.[/quote]

Hi Martin, let me know what picture you are interested in and I will either send you some I have or take some new ones. Strange that I also have been a collector of Strats as well as P's

Edited by sixshooter

Today I lost a good friend, the 59 has gone! but the good news is to a good home where it will be played and bring a lot of happines while still increasing in value so best of luck to the new owner hope to see some photo's of it in action and every now and again make sure you post the pictures on Basschat!