Why become a member? ×

Favourite bassists' signature tracks?

Paul S

I am still trying to broaden my horizons and listen to as much bass playing in as many styles as is possible but there is a heck of a lot of stuff out there and without a guide to seperating the wheat from the chaff could spend a lifetime listening to the wrong music.

Everyone has their favourite things - so, my question to the panel is - if you had to choose one track by one artist that defined his playing style what would it be? Which Marcus Miller? Which Jaco? Which Bruce Foxton? I have a few pets of my own but I know them already :)

[quote name='Paul S' post='665067' date='Nov 25 2009, 01:48 PM']I am still trying to broaden my horizons and listen to as much bass playing in as many styles as is possible but there is a heck of a lot of stuff out there and without a guide to seperating the wheat from the chaff could spend a lifetime listening to the wrong music.

Everyone has their favourite things - so, my question to the panel is - if you had to choose one track by one artist that defined his playing style what would it be? Which Marcus Miller? Which Jaco? Which Bruce Foxton? I have a few pets of my own but I know them already :)[/quote]

oooh, good post...i'll be back in a bit with a list :rolleyes:

Signature Tracks - a selection to get us started

Jaco – A Remark You Made and Havona (off Weather Report’s Heavy Weather) also Donna Lee and Portrait of Tracy off ‘Jaco’

Stanley Clarke – Silly Putty (off Journey To Love)

Billy Sheehan – Shy Boy (off Dave Lee Roth’s ‘Eat Em and Smile’)

Geezer Butler – N.I.B (off Black Sabbath)

Steve Harris – Phantom of the Opera

John Patitucci – Got A Match (Chick Corea’s Electric Band)

Marc Johnson – Acknowledgement (off Bass Desires)

Paul Chambers – Dexterity (off Chambers’ Music)

Dave Holland – Four Winds (off Conference of the Birds)

Jimmy Johnson – Grasshopper (Wayne Johnson’s ‘Grasshopper’)

Anthony Jackson – Why Not? (off Michel Camilo’s ‘Suntan’)

Jimmy Haslip – Ninos (off ARC)

Ron Carter – Footprints (off Miles Davis ‘Miles Smiles’)

Marcus Miller – Run For Cover (off David Sanborn’s Straight To The Heart)

Mark King – Hot Water (Level 42)

Pino Palladino – Wherever I Lay My Hat by Pal Young

Just a few I can think of now.......

Jaco Pastorius-'Havona'(Weather Report)
Marcus Miller -'Panther'
Stanley Clarke - 'School Days'
Victor Wooten -'Sinister Minister' (Flecktones)
John Patitucci-'Got a Match' (Chick Corea Electrik Band)
Jimmy Haslip- 'Jacket Town' (Yellowjackets)
Willie Weeks -'Voice Inside(Everything is Everything') (Donny Hathaway)
Jeff Berlin - 'Joe Frazier' (Bruford)
Nathan East - 101 Eastbound (Fourplay)

whilst not some of the most well known or technically best bass players there has ever been, but some of my personal favourite players.

Audioslave - Broken City [b]Timmy C[/b]
Not the most technical of players but always puts down a solid bassline. Does what all good players do and serves the song.

Rancid - Maxwell Murder [b]Matt Freeman[/b]
Not one of his more melodic offerings but the bass solo is awesome. Probbably one of my favourite bass players ever. Exaclty what a punk bass player should be in my opinion. I love his style of playing.

Quite Firm - [b]Laurence Cottle[/b]
Somebody on here turned me on to him and I downloaded both of the free albums off of his website. I had never really heard much of this type of music but I was in awe from the first note!!

Incubus - Battlestar Scralatchtica [b]Dirk Lance[/b]
Im not the biggest incubus fan but I love dirk lances playing style, especially in this song (suppose you could call it a bass instrumental, kinda?). He always seems to find the perfect groove. Love it!

Less Than Jake - History of a boring town [b] Roger Manganelli[/b]
One of my influences when I first started playing (although I don't, and never have played ska/punk). Some awesome ska playing, just a shame about the sh*t tone. I can kinda look past that though because I like his playing so much.

Edited by Killstarz

John Myung - Scarred, Metropolis pt.1, The Dance of Eternity, Lines in the Sand

Geddy Lee - Malignant Narcissism, YYZ

John Patitucci - Scophile, Imprint, Theme and Variations for 6 string bass, Sister Sadie (GRP Big Band)

Pino Palladino - I'm gonna tear your playhouse down (Paul Young)

Tony Levin - Biaxident, Osmosis, Universal mind (all liquid tension experiment)

Michael Manring - The Enormous Room, Selene

Trip Wamsley - Huevos con Dios

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='665136' date='Nov 25 2009, 02:40 PM']James Jamerson- for once in my life-Stevie -heard it through the grapevine ( Gladys Knight version ) + 1000s more!![/quote]
Hahaha, I started thinking about Jamerson and hit the same problem - too many great lines.

[quote name='Eight' post='665442' date='Nov 25 2009, 06:42 PM']Hahaha, I started thinking about Jamerson and hit the same problem - too many great lines.[/quote]

I think too many people worship technical gods like Jaco, Wooten, Miller and forget its all about the music!!

Jamersons bass lines are world famous- who cant forget you cant hurry love, get ready- and on and on and on. The average man off the street can, not just bass players.

If you listen closely to most of them tunes they are genius!!

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='665554' date='Nov 25 2009, 08:23 PM']If you listen closely to most of them tunes they are genius!![/quote]
In total agreement with you there.

I've really developed a love of Motown recently. The more I've looked at Jamerson's work, and the overall way those songs are done, the more I realise how brilliant they actually were. Of course this isn't news to this forum, but it is news to me since I never quite 'got' Motown before.

I still don't quite get the super-tech players but maybe that'll come too.

Some slight deviations from above - going only for quite famous players:

Jameson - What's Going On? (Marvin)

Jaco - The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines (Joni Mitchell)

Paul McCartney - Day in the Life

(Been relistening to The Beatles a lot lately and think he is quite underrated as a bass - sounds as if he's playing classical (piz) bass on electric on some of the Sgt Pepper era stuff.)

Larry Graham - The Jam (Graham Central Station)

Bootsy - Soul Power or maybe Hot Pants (Jame Brown)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Bernard Edwards - Good Times (Chic)

Norman Cook - Praise You (well it was probably done electronically but it is a good bassline and he is a pretty famous bass player)